College ‘diversity’ event excludes whites

A ”diversity happy hour” was canceled at a Washington state community college, when the emailed invitation said white people were not welcome. “White folks” were urged to meet separately to “work on racism, white supremacy and white privilege.”

The program coordinator at South Puget Sound Community College’s Diversity & Equity Center, Karama Blackhorn, who helped write the email, said the center “is not for white people. That space is for people of color.”

Blackhorn, who’s part Native American, was studying for a degree in Queer Studies and Social Justice at Evergreen State College when she won a 2009 scholarship, reports Jim Miller. Now we know what kind of job a person can get with a degree in Queer Studies and Social Justice.

Comments

1. This is more explicit, but the mindset isn’t new. My DD and another Spanish-speaking Anglo friend, wanting to use the language in an informal setting, went to a big event sponsored by the college Hispanic group and were met with lots of hostility and demands to leave immediately. That was about 2008.

2. Richard Aubrey says:

Back, ‘way back, when the Detroit Pistons were hot, they were entirely diverse except for Bill Laimbeer.

3. Have they posted “Colored Only” signs at the center?

“Barbarism is diversity; civilization is unity.”

4. Self-segregation is OK by me as long as every group can do it and no public funds are being used to support it. This fails both of those criteria.

5. Miller Smith says:

I, a white male, would have showed up and entered the event and dared them to touch or move me and pray to G-d that they would be stupid enough to call the cops and hope to H-ll that the cops were stupid enough to touch me.

6. Here’s a bit of irony: According to a scholarship award from the Pride Foundation, Karama Blackhorn, the woman responsible for the invitation, “identifies as a low income, first generation, Scottish and Kahosadi activist dyke”. (The Kahosadi are a sub-division of the Shasta tribe.)

I’m not an expert in such things, but Blackhorn looks more Scottish than American Indian, to me. And I can’t help but think of people, for instance Elizabeth Warren and Ward Churchill, who have claimed, falsely, to have Indian ancestry for the advantage that gave them in academia.

7. It just goes to show that “diversity” is really code-speak for anti-white (and probably ant-Asian as well). “Tolerance” (code-speak for advocacy and special benefits) for me, but not for thee. In this context, perhaps we should consider the “meditation” rooms established, through student pressure, at some colleges (try Normandale CC in Bloomington, MN) – which have only Muslim literature and symbols and from which non-Muslims have been told to depart.

8. Commenters here are being awfully self righteous. The program/center showed bad judgment in having this discussion be an official event, but it’s not so long ago that white males held meetings that were exclusionary to bond and to make sure that the “right” people were hired, accepted at college, and given the inside track. At first, these meetings were official; then they were informal. The desire to stick with your own is pretty powerful.

• SC Math Teacher says:

So what should we do about those past injustices to which but a small number of us around today were party? Tolerate this nonsense? I prefer to call it what it is, namely, racism.

• I’m not saying accept it; just have a little perspective.

• SC Math Teacher says:

Okay. I am an intelligent person who is capable of understanding history. I also believe that racism is racism, regardless of the skin color of the instigator. Social justice types like to get loud and in your face about such matters, and I don’t see what’s wrong with some outrage over the actions of these race hustlers.

• Ah, but that self-righteousness is justified by the exclusionary sentiments of Karama Blackhorn who seeks, via Newton’s Third Law of Moral Equivalency, to establish counterbalancing racism, supremacy and privilege.

• Roger Sweeny says:

EB, you’re absolutely right about the past. At one point in the ’60s, it looked like people might adopt the moral principle that race shouldn’t matter. Indeed, it looked like the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had adopted that principle.

But it quickly became accepted that such a principle was too simplistic, that race did matter, and that people should be treated differently based on their race, but for new good reasons rather than bad old ones.

Perhaps such a turn was historically inevitable, and perhaps eventually we will get to a position where everyone agrees that it is wrong to make race a determinant of rights. But I worry that we are institutionalizing a new racism.

• Miller Smith says:

That is why you are not allowed to “stick with your own” anymore. Such behavior is in and of itself racist. If it is wrong for one race to do something then it is wrong for any other race to do the same thing…or that was the original point of the Civil Rights Movement.

9. Thinly Veiled Anonymity says:

Maybe Blackhorn should institute a one-drop rule and kick her own self out.

• Roger Sweeny says:

TVA, I think you misunderstand the one-drop rule. It says that “one drop” of non-white blood makes you a non-white. So if your great-great grandmother was black, you couldn’t eat at the white lunch counter. The purpose was exclusionary.

But the one-drop rule has been repurposed to be inclusionary. One drop of non-white blood now makes you a person of color, entitled to be treated as one for diversity purposes and expected to vote the same way as your fellow people of color.

• Thinly Veiled Anonymity says:

I misunderstand many things, but not this.

That’s why I said “a” instead of “the”.