‘Gifted,’ unemployed and living at home

A proud father responded to Matt Walsh’s radio show to tell him he’s  “the sort of person who never should have been a parent.” Unkindly, Walsh reprinted the email on his blog.

Nick starts by objecting to teaching children “how to think,” writing that imposing your views on a child is “tantamount to child abuse.” Instead, “let them think FREELY.”

Chores aren’t important, Nick writes.

Also, the idea that a kid should be forced to “get a job” is abhorrent. My son was very gifted so we gave him all the tools to succeed academically. This meant we didn’t turn him into slave labor and we certainly didn’t tell him he needed to go work behind a cash register. He concentrated on his school work, and we did our job as parents and financially supported him.

. . . My son is almost 29 and he’s been home with us since he graduated. Unfortunately the job market isn’t the greatest (maybe you hadn’t heard) and I’m not going to let him starve on the street. He has a college education, it’s pointless for him to be out working in a retail store or some other menial job. I will be here for him until he is able to get the job he deserves.

Nick advises Walsh to “grow up and get some life experiences.”

Children need guidance, Walsh responds.

How ’bout I blindfold you, drive you out into the middle of the desert at night, and then leave you there without a map or a GPS? It’ll be great. You can just travel FREELY.

Walsh wonders how Nick knows his son is gifted if he he’s never accomplished anything and would “starve” if forced to take care of himself.

News flash, Nick: Junior ain’t special. He graduated school, good for him. Anyone can do that if they’ve got money, time and no pressures or responsibilities from the outside world. Your little pumpkin doesn’t “deserve” a job.

Walsh,  two years younger than Nick’s son, is married with two children.

No work experience, no respect for “menial” jobs, a sense of entitlement . . . I wonder why nobody wants to hire Not-so-Young Nick. After all, he’s a college graduate!

You’ve probably heard about the Philadelphia mother who advertised for a “sugar baby” to deflower her socially awkward 18-year-old son before he leaves for Harvard. I hope it’s a hoax.

Comments

1. Crimson Wife says:

Most of the successful people I know had not-so-glamorous first jobs (flipping burgers, bagging groceries, scrubbing toilets, changing diapers, etc.) Several of them specifically credit those menial first jobs as being a “wake up” call to take their educations seriously because they didn’t want to be stuck in that kind of a job forever.

If I’m a hiring manager and have the choice between two recent graduates with similar academic credentials, I’m going to take the one who can provide references from previous jobs that show a good attitude and work ethic.

• ucladavid says:

Exactly. The first jobs also teaches basic skills like not being late, working under a boss, and struggling through the boring/unglamorous times at a job. If this “gifted” person finds a job, how soon will it be before he quits because he doesn’t like it?

2. You don’t think Walsh is making the whole thing up?

• Michael E. Lopez says:

I’m with Cal. This smells somewhat suspect. It’s a little too pat.

• Mark Roulo says:

The comment thread over at Matt’s blog has a number of folks who believe that Matt did, in fact, invent Nick.

• Foobarista says:

If this didn’t sound exactly like a couple of my relatives, I’d suspect it too. Unfortunately, there is a large number of people who insist on waiting until the “perfect” job shows up, ie one where they don’t have an annoying boss, can “save the world” (versus actually being a vile greedhead who works for a for-profit entity), as well as having a CEO-class income. Oh, and lots of paid vacation too. After all, they went to college!

3. palisadesk says:

It’s also a good possibility that there is a real “Nick” (or someone like him) but that the story has undergone significant creative embellishment. Kind of like films that are “based on a true story.”

4. I can see this happening. We have acquaintances who have been supporting their DD (in a very expensive city, not at home in a low-cost-of-living city), for almost all of the 5 years since she received her psych degree from a very expensive private university. She had a job for perhaps the first 6 months, and has since been taking fine arts classes and doing some SAT tutoring. BTW, I personally know someone who just hired a new college grad to be her admin assistant, so there are some full-time jobs available there (with health insurance etc).

5. Foobar and mo4 don’t appear to understand what is being made up. Of course there are kids like this. But they don’t have parents who write utterly clueless letters about how their precious little darling needs their support from the cold cruel world that doesn’t appreciate him. One would think that was the obvious “made up” part, but apparently not.

• Sadly, Cal, I’ve known parents who don;t give their kids chores and who refuse them to take menial jobs because school is all that matters.

I agree that the letter smacks of satire, BUT there are parents who are that clueless. When you’re trapped in a small space with one, your best bet is to nod politely and pray for deliverance.