School cafeteria goes all-vegetarian

A Queens public school is serving all-vegetarian menus for breakfast and lunch, reports Metro. PS 244, the Active Learning Elementary School, now serves “black beans, red roasted potatoes, falafel and brown rice for lunch.”

Principal Robert Groff said the school is trying to encourage healthy lifestyles. “It is about educating their mind, body and character all together.”

What about separation of idiots and state? asks Stephen Kruiser on PJ Tatler.

This isn’t about children’s health, it’s about indoctrination in a fringe lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with vegetarian options for children whose parents have chosen to raise them that way.

. . . This is a decision that is one for the parents to make, not for school administrators who seek to undermine the role of parents, which is what’s really going on here.

My nutritionist stepdaughter designs school lunches for a nonprofit. She says it’s hard to comply with very detailed federal guidelines, use affordable ingredients and produce a lunch kids will eat.

New York Mayor Bloomberg was refused a second slice of pizza at a New York City restaurant in a protest against  his ban on large sodas, reports the Daily Currant. It’s a satire site, but some readers thought it was for real. It’s hard to tell the difference these days.

Comments

1. BadaBing says:

This is a distraction, designed to take our mind’s off the fact that their students can’t read or write.

• I’d wager money that the kids in the vegetarian school and the kids in the schools which produce illiterates as a matter of course are disjoint sets.

2. Stacy in NJ says:

I lived in Forest Hills, Queens for 8 years; it borders Flushing. My mother-in-law grew up there. Unless the demographics have changed significantly since the late ’90′s, it is entirely made up of Korean immigrants. I find the vegetarian thing odd, but I’d be surprised if this were a lower performing district. More likely, it’s one of the better performing districts in Queens.

• Stacy in NJ says:

I double checked and this school is located in Bellerose, on the Long Island border. It’s not mostly Asian (50% white, 23% Hispanic, 20% black, 8% Asian).

3. lightly seasoned says:

I almost never eat meat for lunch, so I don’t see why it is a big deal. Considering the horrid quality meat that federal lunch programs are often given to work with, eating veggies is probably a blessing.

• And let’s not overlook the fact that this policy drives home the very important point that those who are in charge are uninterested in the preferences of those over whom they have control.

4. Roger Sweeny says:

I wonder if (I’m sure not deliberately) this signals, “We are not a lower- class school.” Well-off people are much more likely to choose to be vegetarians than poor people.

5. momof4 says:

Well, we certainly don’t want kids bringing lunches (vegetarian or otherwise) from home; that might give the impression that it is the parents’ responsibility to feed their kids.

• I’ll just forgo the 9 patty 5100 calorie hamburger I was going to have for lunch in favor of a salad (NOT)…

muhhahaha :)

6. cranberry says:

The article stated, “Founded in 2008, the school noticed that many children were bringing their own vegetarian lunches.”

As long as students may bring their own non-vegetarian lunches to school, I have no problem with this. The meat in our kids’ public school lunches were frequently breaded, and not appealing. Hamburgers, chicken fingers and sloppy joes aren’t sacrosanct. Our kids frequently brought in ham or turkey sandwiches rather than eat the school’s meat offerings.

To refute Stephen Kruiser’s point, to offer only vegetarian options on the public school lunch menu does not interfere with parents’ right to decide what to feed their kid. They are (presumably) free to send their kid to school with an olive loaf sandwich–which sandwich would be more appetizing than many school lunches served across the land. Check out the “fed up with lunch” blog for photographic evidence.

• Richard Aubrey says:

Cranberry,
      There was a contentious case in, I think, North Carolina where a lunchroom monitor gave a kid trouble about the lunch from home. It got straightened out, but the point is that where you have one self-important butthead working as minimum wage lunchroom monitor, the likelihood you’ll have some clone of Bloomberg in the school admin is not zero. And then a flurry of rationalizations/apologies in the local paper won’t fix it.
      Don’t think for an instant there aren’t people jonesing for the opportunity to straighten out those of the Lower Orders whose lunches for their kids aren’t the Right Sort of Lunch. Not for an instant.

• The “hamburgers” I remember being served in the cafeteria back when I was a schoolkid in the 70s – they were definitely not ENTIRELY meat, if they actually had any meat in them.

I always brought my lunch from home. School lunches were gross. As long as they don’t harass kids for bringing their own lunches (not a given, as Richard points out below), it’s no big deal.