College cuts work hours to duck Obamacare

To avoid paying for health insurance, a Pittsburgh community college will cut the work hours of 400 adjunct instructors and support staff. Under Obamacare, employers don’t have to provide insurance for employees working less than 30 hours a week. Community College of Allegheny County will save $6 million.

“It’s kind of a double whammy for us because we are facing a legal requirement [under the new law] to get health care and if the college is reducing our hours, we don’t have the money to pay for it,” said adjunct biology professor Adam Davis.

Comments

1. Stacy in NJ says:

I’d bet that a significant majority of those 400 voted for Obama. Good News? They’re now eligible for Food Stamps and Obama phones. I’m sure those state insurance exchanges are going to be implemented in a timely and effective manner, too!

“Free” food, phones, healthcare. Up next? “Free” education. He’ll make us all paupers because they’re easier to please.

• Leave it to Stacy to trot out a tired racist meme with the Obamaphone canard: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2012/09/28/crazy-for-obama-phones-but-are-they-for-real/

Apparently your right-wing hysteria has you confused that food stamps and public education all pre-dated Obama. Not to mention that many universities have been cutting back on tenured faculty and replacing them with low-paid adjuncts with limited hours long before Obamacare.

• Stacy in NJ says:

Racist!!

Wingnut!!

Good thing we have jab here to point out the extremists.

Hope you don’t get your hours cut, jab. Good luck with all that.

• Well, I will get tenure this year… so I can continue to convert America’s young adults into baby-killing, homosexual predators who eat arugula, sip latte, eat sushi, and hate all things American and cheer when Americans are killed overseas… and whatever else is in the fever swamp of your imagination, Stacy.

Note: I see you did not even bother to admit you misrepresented the Obamaphone issue… In the words of that famous Republican Joe Wilson, “You LIE!”

• Stacy in NJ says:

Your such a subtle thinker, jab. Your students must love your open minded and lucid ability to engage with those who don’t share your political opinions. I’m sure you would never resort to grotesque stereotypes or ad hominems. You must be a real favorite. Either that or YOU LIE (to them).

2. “Double whammy” does sum it up pretty well.

3. Richard Aubrey says:

I believe it was H. L. Mencken who said the voters voted for what they wanted “and they deserve to get it good and hard.”
    Unfortunately, I didn’t vote for Obama and I’m going to get it, too, as will my kids and grandkids We don’t deserve it.

4. Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

How’s that Hope and Change working for you

5. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Most of you voted for Obama and supported Obamacare. Now you get a first hand, personal lesson into why rational people opposed it.

INCENTIVES MATTER you ivory tower idiots. Obamacare is not going to increase health care coverage in the U.S., it is going to decrease it. And force millions of Americans into trouble with the IRS to boot.

To increase health care coverage you must lower its costs and/or increase the incomes of Americans currently without health care. Not by passing stupid laws dictating prices or wages since INCENTIVES MATTER and the laws will therefore backfire. No, by understanding why medical services cost so much and why good jobs are fleeing American shores, and changing the incentives so medical costs drop while jobs come back.

You deserve the double whammy, good and hard. Maybe it will force you out of your stupid, childish beliefs. Maybe it will force you to pick up an economics text book and study.

jab – you’re a typical liberal who pretends everything is about race. Accusing Stacy of racism simply because she referenced a meme that has nothing to do with race makes you look like an idiot.

“Obamaphones” may not have been started by Obama, and the woman in the video was certainly ignorant about the programs she was mentioning, what they provide, and their eligibility requirements. Never the less, her attitude represents the attitude of the left, that the government should take from one segment of society and give to another. Eventually this behavior destroys the first segment’s ability to produce. Sooner or later that affects everyone.

We’re laughing at the college professors who preached for a larger, more intrusive government that redistributes more and more wealth because they are now, finally, seeing the results of their stupidity.

I honestly hope those professors have to find second and maybe third jobs to stay out of trouble with the IRS. Serves them right.

6. All the hysterical whining and gnashing of teeth over Obamacare. The truth is, Obamacare was a Republican idea. It was hatched in conservative think tanks like the Heritage Foundation, and supported by prominent Republicans throughout the 90s and early 00s, including the vast majority of Repubs in the Senate. It came to fruition with Republican gov Romney, and was lauded by most of the right as THE model to follow as opposed to single payer models. Then something unexpected happened. Obama won in 2008, pivoted to the center and passed the Republican plan. It has been hilarious to see an entire political party flip-flop in unison, which makes perfect sense that they nominate the biggest flip-flipper in political history as their standard bearer. Keep up the war on women, war on immigrants, war on gays, war on the poor, war on the working class… I’m looking forward to President Hilary in 2016.

• Stacy in NJ says:

There, there now. Feel better?

You might have saved some typing if you’d only typed “GO TEAM BLUE!!!!!”

Just an aside, you might consider that other folks do have access to HUFFPO, The Daily Dish, Talking Points Memo, and Krugman (We all have internet access, you see?). But I hear imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Also, I get a real kick out of your very limited idea of what is available to Americans ideologically speaking. Struggle with grey areas, doncha?

• Project much, Stacy?
        Here, let me fix your post for you:

There, there now. Feel better?
        You might have saved some typing if you’d only typed “GO TEAM RED!!!!!”
        Just an aside, you might consider that other folks do have access to RedState, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, and FOX News (We all have internet access, you see?). But I hear imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• And you STILL have not taken responsibility for continuing to reference the Obamaphone canard as fact (long after it had been debunked… but I guess you didn’t get that memo from the right-wing echo chamber… you know, the one that convinced the teabaggers that Romney was going to win with 360+ electoral college votes and all the pre-election polls were “skewed”). Says a lot about your character that you cannot admit when you are wrong.

• Stacy in NJ says:

Really? I thought DT covered that topic admirably. I wonder what it says about your character that you’re only capable of speaking in ad hominem in the comment sections of blogs. Oh, sorry, perhaps you do the same in RL? That would make you single for sure.

I’m sure many, many things communicate a thing or two about my character – some good, some bad. The most insignificant being whether I responded to throw-away lines on chat boards.

• Actually, Stacy… DT cannot apologize for your posting of untruths (things I am sure you KNEW were untrue when you posted them, but didn’t care anyway because you figured no one in your echo chamber would call you out on your lack of integrity). Face it, you spread lies and misinformation (DT admitted there was no truth to the Obamaphone canard), and you whine when someone has the audacity to point it out.

• Stacy, which part of that historical record of Republican support for health-care insurance mandates is wrong? I see the pattern that you never actually address the facts, and go straight for the conservative victim schtick.

• Stacy in NJ says:

Hey, jab? I’m not a Republican. I’m a Libertarian. But good job turning off someone who you may actually have found common ground with (gay rights, legalizing pot). I’m politically cynical and always vote for the less of the two evils. You, on the other hand, are the most idiotic of creatures – the true believer.

7. Some references on the history of Republican support for health-insurance mandates and their recent flip-flopping only to oppose Obama:

Oh, and for Stacy, even a reference from FOX News: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/12/06/romney-gingrich-and-huntsman-and-health-care-hypocrisy/

• Stacy in NJ says:

Sooo, let me see… An untenured, unmarried professor.. of what? Not English or Philosophy – you struggle with double meanings far too much. It must be something rules based because you have issue with rigid thinking.

But, I’ll stop now; I play. And not in a very nice way. I wonder what that says about my character.

8. In other words, employers are doing what employers have always done to avoid giving their employees benefits associated with a longer schedule. What’s your next earth-shattering announcement – that employers that don’t want to pay overtime don’t schedule their non-exempt workers for overtime?