SuperTeacher: Myth and menace

In The Myth of the Super Teacher, Roxanna Elden, a Hialeah High School (Florida) teacher, talks about unrealistic expectations.

Comments

1. Michael E. Lopez says:

This presentation was a little underwhelming. It’s not that there was anything false or bad that was presented. But it didn’t really seem geared to her audience (the journalists of the EWA). It certainly didn’t seem to answer the question, “How do we make teaching a prestigious profession?”

Frankly, it seemed like the people who might find this talk useful are naive, bright-faced twenty-two year old tyros straight out of college who think they are going to change the world with their teaching. I actually suspect that it might BE an orientation presentation that got ‘ported because someone with little judgment thought it would be awesome.

Here’s the short version:

* Teachers need to be adults about their jobs and their lives.

* Buy my book because teachers love it.

* Here’s some really astoundingly bad poetry.

I’ll bet Ms. Elden is tremendously interesting to talk to when you get her off the stage, though. I wouldn’t mind picking her brain.

Maybe I will buy her book.

And maybe that makes this a successful presentation, after all.

• J.D. Salinger says:

If it came to a choice between listening to Dan Meyer at a TED talk regarding his self proclaimed brilliant way of teaching math, and listening to Ms Elden, I’d take the latter any day.

• Michael E. Lopez says:

So I hadn’t seen any Dan Meyer before.

He reminds me of a character from a TV show I used to watch — Richard Fish from Ally McBeal.

Anyway, that’s 11 minutes I could have used elsewhere.

2. Karyn Anderson says:

I enjoyed the presentation and poem, and it seemed the audience did, too. I also watched a few of the other presentations from the event, which included about ten speakers addressing different parts of the teacher career arc. I thought Ms. Elden did a nice job addressing the issues facing new teachers and providing a much-needed classroom teacher’s perspective.

3. Stacy in NJ says:

I found the presentation disturbing. It seems to me, this type of obvious, common sense advice should be presented before and during teacher training and at ed schools. It leaves me wondering what they’re learning before they become teachers if not how to effectively manage a classroom and how to manage time appropriately. If this is where we’re at then what we call “professional” training is in question. Other professionals get constant feedback and hands on experience in their training periods. The way teachers are trained needs to change.

4. Robert Pondiscio says:

<<< It seems to me, this type of obvious, common sense advice should be presented before and during teacher training and at ed schools.

You would think so, wouldn't you? You would be wrong.