Report: Textbooks boost Islam

Islam is presented positively — and inaccurately — in U.S. textbooks, charges a report by ACT! for America Education. It’s more “indoctrination than education,” says Brigitte Gabriel, the group’s president.

The report provides happy-think quotes from textbooks:

“The Quran granted women spiritual and social equality with men.”

ACT! responds:  The Quran does not grant “social equality” to women. “Muslim women cannot divorce except in limited circumstance—men can divorce at any time for any reason—and the testimony of one man equals that of two women in legal proceedings.”

“In Medina, Muhammad…fashioned an agreement that joined his own people with the Arabs and Jews…These groups accepted Muhammad as a political leader.”

Response:  The Jews did not accept Muhammad as a leader. He “expelled two of the Jewish tribes and destroyed the third, beheading the men and selling the women and children into slavery.”

“Shari’a law requires Muslim leaders to extend religious tolerance to Christians and Jews.”

Response: “Shari’a law imposes a litany of burdens and restrictions on Christians and Jews, both in their daily lives and in the practice of their religions.”

“In the early eighth century, Islam became popular in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent.”

Response: Islam spread through conquest.

In addition, textbooks spend many pages on European slave traders, ignoring the role of Islamic slave traders, the report charges.

Textbook writers hate controversy. I’m sure they accentuate the positive when writing about any religion — but not to this extent.

Comments

1. Catherine says:

My husband and I were just discussing the whitewashing of Islam’s violent history recently. I had read my seven-year-old daughter a chapter from Susan Wise Bauer’s Story of the World in which she relates that when the people of Medina were starting to go hungry, the answer Muhammed gave them was to attack the caravans going to Mecca and take their provisions. The look of shock on my daughter’s face was surprising. She was genuinely appalled that that they were going to steal like that. I learned practically nil about Islam before 9/11 and since then, there has been a huge movement to not blame Islam for the actions of al-Qaeda-type terrorists. I’m all for promoting kindness and fairness to people around me, whatever their religion. Textbooks, however, need to be truthful, even when the truth is not pleasant. (And, yes, we’ve already learned about the Crusades.)

• I see history repeated in a nice way by WASP followers.
      Bosnia 200000 people killed 1.3 million displaced.
      Iraq millions killed and dispalced.
      Afghanistan thousand killed.
      The six inquisitions.
      Crusaders killed like barbaric people and the killing blessed by the Pope himself.
      Rivers of blod flew in the streets of Jerusalem where every Jew Christain and muslim were killed.
      Do not bring up the subject that Christains are better.

• You are twisting history in favor of Christanity.
      Jews and Christains at that time used to loot the goods and kill everyone without hesitation ,
      Read history not the spruced up Christain version. of shool books.
      Grow up and smell the world.

2. Richard Aubrey says:

Thing about the Crusades is that teaching about them does not mention that the Crusaders were fignting in what had been Christian lands until the recent Muslim takeover.
    North Africa had been Christian. Some of the Epistles are addressed to congregations in what is now Turkey.
    But we’re supposed to feel guilty about having tried to get a small portion back eight hundred years ago?
    I think there are some kids who are so vulnerable and lacking in self-esteem that they will go along with the morally superior who preach this crap, the pee cee stuff. But for most kids and their parents, it will be yet another lesson on the fecklessness of public education. IOW, a win for common sense.

• I’ll give you an Amen, but I’d like to insert one word: …until the recent [violent] Muslim takeover.

• Do not white wash the Crusaders they were plunderers looters and the scum of society. This was expansion of Christainity pure and simple. Kill muslims was the motive.

Inquisition 6 of them to kill Muslims again pure and simple.
      Do not try and re write history

• Troll.

• Obi-Wandreas says:

Don’t feed the trolls, it only encouranges them.

There was a great line in “The Lord of the Rings” in which Samwise realizes that a comment made towards him required “either a week’s response or none.’

When someone brings up a laundry list of falsehoods and non sequiturs, it is generally not worth the effort to correct them.

3. Supersub says:

Heck, if a group would call Jihad (violence or protest) on my company, I’d whitewash their history too.

4. Richard Aubrey says:

uzoozy.
    Correct. Kill Muslims until they abandoned the land they’d taken from the Christians.

5. Go back into your cave, Uzoozy. Sunlight’s not good for you.

6. Marktropolis says:

Wow, who would have thought that an anti-Muslim would come up with a report that decries the treatment of Muslims in textbooks. Agreed, textbooks don’t always get it right, but to suggest that ACT! is anything but an astro-turf campaign, lead by a woman who has made a career of being anti-Muslim (starting her career working for Pat Robertson’s news channel, and just getting more xenophobic with time), is just short of journalistic negligence.

Joanne, while I don’t often agree with your positions, I haven’t found too much cause to question your journalistic integrity. So much for that…

• Catherine says:

I don’t think Joanne actually suggests anything about the group. She gives its name and calls it a “group”.