How do I love thee, Oregon school boards? Let me count the ways. Rick Hess pokes fun at the state association’s memo suggesting how students can spend time showing their appreciation of school board members.
Among many suggestions:
10. Elementary students could laminate place mats autographed by the class, for each board member.
9. Provide coffee mugs filled with candy kisses and cocoa mix with rolled up and tied recognition certificates tucked inside.
8. Send a general news release to local media about the governor declaring January as School Board Recognition Month and suggest interviews with your board members on the changing roles and challenges they face in managing America’s most precious, and politically popular, issue!…Also ask the paper’s editorial board or staff to consider publishing an editorial–it’s perfect timing because it’s newsworthy!
7. Have students from foods classes prepare snack trays, (e.g. meats and cheeses) for the January board meeting, along with goodies and coffee.
6. Have schools “Adopt a board member” for the month, by sending cards, inviting him/her to lunch, etc. Make sure students and staff are involved, including teachers, secretaries, custodians.
And there’s more!