Stuart Buck presents Ravitch is Wrong Week on Jay P. Greene’s Blog. He accuses the education historian’s new book, The Death and Life of the Great American School System, of:
- Ignoring or selectively citing scholarly literature;
- Misinterpreting the scholarly literature that she does cite;
- Caricaturing her opponents in terms of strawman arguments, rather than taking the best arguments head-on;
- Tendering logical fallacies; and
- Engaging in a double standard, such as holding a disfavored position to a high burden of proof while blithely accepting more problematic evidence that supports one’s own position (or not looking for evidence at all). ]
By the way, my book, Our School, is selling for three cents (plus $3.99 shipping). We’re talking about the hardcover! It’s embarrassing. A “collectible” signed by me is selling for $24.95. Let me just say: I can beat that price for a signed copy. After all, I buy my extra copies for $4.02.