Jobless graduate sues college

Despite earning an information technology degree in April, Trina Thompson hasn’t found a job. So she’s suing her alma mater, Monroe College, for $70,000 in tuition, reports the New York Post.

The 27-year-old alleges the business-oriented Bronx school hasn’t lived up to its end of the bargain, and has not done enough to find her a job.

The information-technology student blames Monroe’s Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised.

It’s only been a few months, which isn’t much to be job hunting in a recession. And I have a feeling Monroe doesn’t offer a money-back guarantee.

Comments

1. A sign of the sense of entitlement some young(er) people seem to have…not that my generation was immune. Since entering the work world, I’ve seen this more and more…the school, the boss, “owes” something to them. I used to be night manager at a restaurant where more than half the wait staff couldn’t understand why it mattered that they were hours late for their shift, they said I shouldn’t have scheduled them for those hours and I should be lucky they showed up at all!

2. Mike Skiles says:

Awwwweee precious snowflake can’t find a job on her own :(. There’s a go-getter that I can’t believe companies don’t want.

3. Congrats to her for doubling down on stupid. When it’s over, I predict she’ll still have no job, and owe the school more than she does now, when they countersue for their costs and attorney’s fees as a sanction for her bringing a frivolous lawsuit.

4. CA Teacher says:

I wouldn’t want to be the one who hired her. She’d probably sue if she didn’t get her first raise as fast as she thought she should.

5. I think these schools shouldn’t be falsly advertising programs to educate and place people in when they know darn well that there are no jobs in that industry..

A college is recieving payment for making someone employable. The college knows the ins and the outs of the industry they are training people for, or at least they are supposed to.

therefore, there is a contract.
    I, the student, pay you, the college, to make me employable, in Technology. However, after graduation, you are not employable. Establish where the contract went wrong.

I the student, paid = yes, attended and graduated = yes, school placed me = n0. Therefore, the school failed to live up to it contractual obligation for which it was paid. Now, the school should also know if they can or cannot place because of bad market conditions.

What the school wants to argue is
    We, the school, will take your money = yes and give you nothing in return, no job.Flawed argument.

6. Mike, are you playing Devil’s Advocate or are you actually serious?

No school ever represents a guarantee of employment upon graduation. In consideration for the tuition they receive, they provide an education and a credential. Those are intangible goods in and of themselves: a job may be the ultimate BENEFIT of those goods, but as it was never offered it was not contracted for, so failure to provide it cannot be a breach of a contract that was never made, and that exists only in one party’s imagination.

7. Ragnarok says:

Dave J, it’s clear that you haven’t been paying attention to Mike’s previous posts.

8. A commentator on another board pointed out that she is especially stupid because any employer from here on out who does even the most cursory background check is going to see that she is into frivolous lawsuits. Yeah, that you will get you hired! I would guess that she is toast in the business world.

9. tim-10-ber says:

Just heard this blurb on MSNBC – Morning Joe. Their advice — she should have gone to trade school. Not bad. Some recommended she get a MBA. Others immediately bashed the advantage of an MBA — not bad either.

10. enuff-already says:

This is a sign of the times. Trina Thompson is not the only one that has been given promises that have not come true. I have friends that have spent well over 100-thousand dollars educating there two kids and after their daughter’s graduation this past April, she still hasn’t found a job yet either. So the promises are worthless. She hasn’t sued the college, but maybe she should.
    The cost of college is ridiculous and with corporations offshore outsourcing heavily in the technology area, chances of finding a job, even a low paying one, are getting slimmer every day.
    Wake up America… the cost of education is way out of hand. Student’s tuition bills are mounting while jobs are becoming more scarce. Seventy thousand dollars!!!! At Monroe College??? Give me a break. It’s greed and corruption at every level.

11. FuzzyRider says:

“It’s dangerous to paint all young workers with the same brush…but I feel like this mindset is more common than it used to be.”

This is good for all of us “old farts” in the workforce! I know several employers who will preferentially hire older workers because they have a functional work ethic!

12. Bill Leonard says:

Graduation in April with no job buy the third week in July is not a particularly long stretch to be looking for work.

Further, we have no indication just how hard she looked, how many places she applied, what she may have looked or acted like when or if she did manage to score an interview, the number of resumes she circulated, the amount of networking she has tried,and so forth. And, we have no idea as to her mobility. Is she willing to move — as in relocate — for a job?

Job-hunting, particularly in a recession such as this, is a tough, full-time job. I have the feeling this young woman hasn’t been taking it as seriously as she’d ought to. And like others who have posted, I don’t think suing the instituion is going to help her chances at all.

13. I don’t know anything about the young woman in question in terms of what she’s done to look for work and maximize her chances at employment. I never understood earning a particular degree to ensure employment in that field, and the lawsuit looks kind of silly.

However, I have seen advertisements for colleges, particularly less prestigious programs or institutions that focus on how their particular program yields better employment, and if that’s how they marketed themselves to students, then it doesn’t seem entirely unreasonable that a student who spent money to attend and successfully completed all requirements would expect results in those terms. It would be interesting to see the materials that attracted her to this particular program.

14. Mike,

You are completely misinformed. No college will “PLACE” a graduate. No reputable school will ever guarantee employment. You may be a good student and earn good grades. That does not mean you are viably employable. The STUDENT still has to sit in front of a recruiter and sell themselves. Many questions to be asked. Does she have any work experience in her field of study? Is she sitting at home on the computer wasting her time on job websites, or is she hitting the pavement. Does she have a criminal record? Who knows? What I do know is that you don’t have a clue. A college in NOT in a contractual agreement with the student that guarantees work. What if the got her hired at McDonald’s? Would that satisfy your contract? Use your friggin’ brain.

15. Maybe she is too picky on where she wants to work. When I was looking for a job I traveled up to 6 hours away just for an interview. The job market was very competitive in the area I was living, so I did what was necessary.

16. Frankly, I have to agree that this woman is severely lacking in common sense, patience, and a brain. While the arguments that say that colleges should not advertise that they will be able to make a person employable in this economy have some merit, they have one flaw. I have not yet attended college, but I am fairly certain that a bachelor’s degree in anything takes at least 2-3 years to obtain. Assuming this is true, she first started at Monroe in 2007 or 2006. While the economy was still not at its best during that time, it was definately MUCH MUCH better than it is now, and it would be safer to promise jobs.

17. Golfball says:

The only schools that can legitimately claim to place graduates with a job immediately upon graduation are the military service academies.

Of course, the only job they do place their grads with is an O1 (2nd Lt. or Ensign) in their respective service. But look! No student debt (at least of the monetary variety.)! Whatta deal!

18. I recall reading that during the Great Depression some Naval Academy graduates were not commissioned and became unemployed upon graduation. The Navy did not have the funds for all the new Ensigns. I do not know if this also happened at West Point.

19. one can’t blame the school because she isn’t getting a job. Most people from her school must have landed into one and those who haven’t must b for other reasons in these tough times. Suing your alma mater actually wouldn’t help.