Degrees of employment

A majority of college graduates 25 and under are working in jobs that don’t require a college degree — if they’re working at all — concludes a survey by the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University.  From McClatchy News:

”I’ve never seen it this low and we’ve been analyzing this stuff for over 20 years,” said center director Andrew Sum.

Only about a third of Asian female graduates and black and Hispanic male graduates are in jobs that require a degree. Except for Asian males, who have the highest college-level employment rate, women are more likely to be in college-level jobs than men. (I have no clue why the spread is so wide between Asian males and females. More technical degrees for the guys?)

It’s not going to get any better any time soon.

Employers expect to hire 22 percent fewer graduating seniors for entry-level positions this year than in 2008, according to a recent survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

The story includes a young man with a political science degree from Western Michigan who’s applied for the same bank teller job he had before college and a young woman with a Penn State journalism degree, an unpaid internship and hopes of paid employment. And if that doesn’t work, she can try the buggy-whip industry.

In depressed Dayton, the high-paying factory jobs have vanished, reports the New York Times.  “Recession’s children,” high school grads who want steady jobs, are considering college or the military.

Going to community college to learn vocational skills is a good bet for young people who lack academic interests. The 20-year-old with the medical technology certificate is going to trump the 22-year-old with the degree in journalism or political science — and a pile of loans to pay off.

Comments

1. “In depressed Dayton, the high-paying factory jobs have vanished”…lots more factory jobs are going to vanish, all over the country, if Obama is successful in prosecuting his war on energy production.

2. lots more factory jobs are going to vanish, all over the country, if Obama is successful in prosecuting his war on energy production.

3. He was successful!

Stick a fork in the U.S. economy. It’s done.

The House was the best hope of defeating this Bill. Experts believe it will have no problems passing the Senate, and then will be happily signed by President Obama.

What’s worse, this is the biggest, most comprehensive tax increase in U.S. history, passed at a time when the country is in the worst recession in 80 years! Well, when this Bill kicks in, recesion will turn into depression.

If you got a certificate in something useful – police, firefighter, EMT, etc. – or a degree in a hard Science – you *MAY* be able to find a job. If you have a degree in something Liberal Arts related, or have no post-high school education at all, prepare to be herded into Sanctuary Districts in the next few years…

But hey, none of the major news channels on TV covered this Bill today, because Michael Jackson has died!

4. Mike said, “It’s comments like that one that make me despair for our country. That so many people believe–stupidly–as you do makes me fear for my children’s future.”

It’s comments like this about comments like that that make me fear for the future of our country and for our children’s future. In the Obama administration and their willing accomplices in the (voluntarily) state-run media, we see the consequences of the last 50 years of the government school system. Too bad for us.

5. “a third of Asian female graduates ”

I wonder how many are working in family businesses? I recently spoke to a group of Asian-American journalism students and over 1/2 of the women wanted to work as fashion journalists. Depressing.

6. It amazes me what the Obama administration’s gotten away with in the last 5 months. I was no Bush fan either – IMO, the last good Republican President was Reagan, and the last good Democratic President was Kennedy – but Obama’s managed to do in 5 months what Bush couldn’t do in 8 years, and the Soviet Union couldn’t do in over 70 years. (Yes, we’ve been starved for good leadership in the USA – and leaders that actually care about the USA, and the US Constitution – for that long.)

The Climate Change Bill passed Friday is the Democrat’s version of the Patriot Act – which is still with us, BTW. Obama has relinquished none of the ‘emergency powers’ that the President was granted after 9/11/2001. And why should he? He just promised to do so when he was running for President.

Like the Patriot Act, this bill is going to whither away major parts of the Constitution; and like the Patriot Act, Congress wasn’t even allowed to read the final version of the Bill before it was voted on (over 300 pages were added at 3am Friday morning, in secret).

The fact that the House would also pass a Bill like this in the middle of the worst recession in over 80 years is a testament to what they really think of the people they represent.

Just think of it… the federal government (Obama and Congress) now has de facto control over the banking industry, the insurance industry, the auto industry, and (after the Senate passes this Bill and Obama signs it) the energy industry in this country. The only thing left is the health care industry – which Obama’s gearing up to fight for, with ABC News’ help – and once they have control of that, the federal government will control more than 1/2 of this nation’s economy, and they will be able to micromanage all Americans’ lives.

“I’m sorry, but you’ll have to wait a little over 2 years for your colonoscipy, sir. That’s where your name is on the Waiting List. However, if you trade in your current truck for a electric hybrid GM, we’ll move you up on the Wait List to the six months mark. Also, the computer has let me know that I need to remind you that you still have to make and pay for $12,500 in Green Repairs to your home to qualify for further services. Thank you, and have a good day!”

7. A young man with a political science degree? Well, that was his first mistake. If he went to college for that degree and expected a job, he’s learned nothing in seventeen years of education. The bank teller job is a good gig – and doesn’t require a degree.

8. Mike Curtis says:

There’s a universe between learning how to support yourself and getting an education. I think we should teach our replacements how to feed themselves before we emphasize the power of academics. Learn how to “do” something before learning “about” something.

To quote an unknown author…”Getting a Liberal Arts degree helps you think deep thoughts about being unemployed.”

9. Ragnarok says:

Kratos said:

“Just think of it… the federal government (Obama and Congress) now has de facto control over the banking industry, the insurance industry, the auto industry, and (after the Senate passes this Bill and Obama signs it) the energy industry in this country.”

As far as I know, it was the bright-eyed morons at these industries who drove them into bankruptcy. Right?

Then they came begging, these honourless dogs, begging for help from the same government that they despised. Right, Kratos?

They suddenly cared about the hundreds of thousands of workers who’d lose their jobs unless the government put the companies on welfare. Correct, Kratos?

They suddenly cared, these arrogant, incompetent, insular, stupid morons – no, make that idiots, there’s no reason to insult morons – and they came a-begging to Washington in their private jets!

Did Obama force them to do that, Kratos? I think not.

So give discredit where it’s due, and wait a while to see whether Obama succeeds or fails.

Blind anti-governmentalism is as stupid as blind support for the government.

FWIW, I’m a small-l libertarian, no left-winger I – but not a stupid one, I hope.

10. Clearly, this is an area of disagreement. I, too, have strong political opinions, but I chose to separate them from my professional life. I blog at two spots, one at http://www.teacherlingo.com/blogs/dragonlady328pt

The other is where I do my political commentary – http://www.rightasusual.blogspot.com

Feel free to join me. I’ll have a post set up, where you can comment to your hearts content, left, right, center, libertarian, apolitical. Let’s leave Joanne’s great site primarily focused on education.

11. Roger Sweeny says:

Ragnarok,

The people who run the auto companies hardly hate the federal government. When Japanese imports became big during the ’70s, the auto companies got the feds to limit the number of imports allowed. One reason that domestic SUVs have such a high profit margin is that imported SUVs face an especially high tariff.

The companies fight with the unions about how to split the pie but they make common cause with the unions (and all those votes) when it comes to securing competitive advantages to make that pie as big as possible.

12. This blog post dovetails with the one about Louisiana adding a non-college career track for students who want to get into a trade. Perhaps a college degree isn’t always the right road? Of course, the hard economic times are more challenging than most, when the poly sci graduate can’t get a job, maybe it’s time to think about welding or auto mechanics or electrical work? I made a living as a bartender for many years before I got on a career track in line with my journalism degree.

13. Ragnarok,

I agree, you’re right about that too. The reason that our society is starting to fall apart at the seams is because there’s more than enough corruption to go around; corrupt CEOs and accountants; corrupt Republican Presidents; corrupt Democratic Presidents; and a corrupt Congress.

Changing the filter does us no good when the machine itself is dirty…

14. Ragnarok says:

Linda F said:

“I, too, have strong political opinions, …”

I don’t, though. :-)

15. It’s comments like that one that make me despair for our country. That so many people believe–stupidly–as you do makes me fear for my children’s future.

Insecure much? Listening to Obama’s supporters always strikes me as like listening to a debate in a freshman dorm room – anyone who disagrees with them is stupid and they have to tell you so to build themselves up. In the immortal line from ‘Mean Girls’ “Calling other people stupid doesn’t make you any smarter”. Truer words were never spoken.

16. I really can’t tell from the article whether things have changed much or not. When I graduated from college in the 80′s, some of my friends, myself included, went to grad school. Others, especially liberal arts grads, took office-type jobs. Some others, with computer science degrees, took computer science jobs. Aside from grad school, which wasn’t employment, none of the jobs my friends took *required* a college degree – companies would have been just as willing to hire non-college grads with appropriate experience.

It may well be the case that things are worse now…but I’d be interested to know how much worse, as this has always been going on.

And there must have been something to the college education, as everyone seems to have moved up into professional careers, the former secretaries even moving into managerial positions.

So I really think that you can read too much into this.

17. Ragnarok says:

“I really can’t tell from the article whether things have changed much or not.”

Don’t know, since I went to school in another country; but if you believe standardized tests such as TIMSS, the US is doing quite badly compared to the rest of the world.

And that’s a matter for concern.

18. I’m surprised that more people don’t understand that a bank teller is the entry-level job for all other jobs in banking, assuming that you don’t have a specialized degree in finance or accounting or specialized experience. A sizable majority of the upper level folks I met during my banking days had started their careers as bank tellers.

If you are not a college graduate, you might not advance beyond head teller, but for smart college graduates, the sky’s the limit.

19. The problem is three-fold:

(1) Some college majors are literally useless. “I don’t have a major, but I Plan II.”

(2) Some college majors now have computers and/or machines doing their jobs for them, or, they’re not a sufficient skill set on their own for a job these days – as in, they’re part of a larger skill set for a more comprehensive job now.

(3) Many college majors are for jobs that are now being shipped overseas these days. Gone are the days when factory workers were watching their jobs go to China and India; today, even engineers are watching their jobs go overseas.

How do we get colleges around the U.S. to update their cirriculua and reduce enrollment so that the students getting in are ready for the tough academic work ahead of them, and can major in subjects that are needed in the job market today? (Not 30 years ago.)