'Hit a Jew Day' in middle school

Students at a suburban St. Louis middle school are in trouble for “Hit a Jew Day.”

About a quarter of the school’s 35 Jewish students were struck were hit;  at least one student was slapped in the face.

It began with an unofficial “Spirit Week” among sixth-graders that started harmlessly enough with a “Hug a Friend Day.” Then there was “High Five Day.”

Soon, though, the days moved from friendly to silly. Next there was “Hit a Tall Person Day” and, finally, “Hit a Jew Day.”

Five students have been suspended for hitting Jewish classmates. “Others who weren’t directly involved but taunted Jewish students or egged on classmates could face lesser penalties,” reports AP.

1. Probably should have been addressed at an earlier stage, but the right-wingers would have started caterwauling about ‘political correctness’.

2. Catch Thirty-Thr33 says:

Right wingers caterwauling about “political correctness”? Not in a case like this. It might help you a little to actually familiarize yourself with, and know, right wingers before making such a stupid statement.

3. Sounds a lot like “Kill Haole Day” in Honolulu. But that’s just good fun.

4. Sadly, I know a lot of adults who haven’t matured much beyond these kids, and some of them are teachers.

5. This must be some of that much vaunted “socialization” I hear tell of.

6. Robert Wright says:

I encounter few cases of antisemitism at the school where I teach, but it exists and it’s very strong.

One of the reasons it’s so strong, I guess, is that it’s almost never talked about, except in the context of WWII.

I’m glad that the school administration is taking it seriously.

7. It’s certainly ignorant on the part of the kids, but I highly doubt this is really anti-semitic in the sense that we normally mean. If this had been a “standalone” type of thing (without the previous things such as “Hit a Tall Person Day”), I might think it was truly animosity toward Jews. Under the circumstances, though, I suspect it had more to do with finding some other random group to jokingly pick on. I also strongly suspect that the kids involved wouldn’t have understood the seriousness of it, because they wouldn’t understand the long history of anti-semitism, which is the thing that makes people assume it’s worse than it probably is. So while it’s a good thing for the kids to learn that this isn’t acceptable, it’s probably not as bad as it first sounds.

8. Mrs. Davis says:

I’m somewhat inclined to agree with you in this specific instance, Dave. But, as a right winger, I observe that it is odd how when they get to ethnicity or religion the first group to take the hit is always the Jews. And where did they learn that?

9. Wow, that’s pretty shocking.

Perhaps next Spirit Week could include a showing of “Au Revior Les Enfants”?

I presume these goofy “days” were totally the kids’ invention, without teachers approving or even knowing of them? Because if the teachers approved that or tacitly allowed it to happen…cripes.

10. When I first started teaching, 20 years ago, our school still had a slave day. I didn’t “cotton” to that idea very well and voiced my distaste. It didn’t happen for a few years, and just when I think it’s been forgotten completely, some kid will say, “how about a slave day?” One time, when I was pretty fed up with the whole thing, I retorted, “should we have wetback day too?” That shut them up. These crazy ideas are still out there, floating around, and it’s up to the adults to stop it.

11. dkzody:

What is a “slave day”? I’ve never heard of that before…

12. Locomotive Breath says:

What’s next. “Hit a Negro Day”. Now that, that, might get some attention.

13. Slave Day–auction of students, usually seniors, to be your slave for the day. It could get pretty demeaning in that the buyer would often have the slave do unsavory things. The basic premise is to raise money for the class by selling the members to underclassmen. The popular, good looking kids always raised more money than the less popular.

14. Margo/Mom says:

My church youth group–back in the 60s had a slave auction as a fundraiser. Ours was about being bid out to do work (washing walls or cars, babysitting, etc) for congregation members. In resurrecting this for my kids, we were able to use the name “teen temps.” I can’t recall if my high school had a Slave Day auction, but the athletic factions had plenty of things that were just as demeaning. Actually I transferred from a pretty liberal middle class suburb to a small town school and found it shocking the kind of activities that were not only allowed, but also expected. One kid got in trouble for spray painting our class year in the middle of the football field. On the other hand, marshalling all the butter pats available in the lunch line and feeding them to the freshman jocks until they puked, in the cafeteria, while students cheered, was a tradition.

15. Probably should have been addressed at an earlier stage, but the right-wingers would have started caterwauling about ‘political correctness’.

Like the sun rising in the East you can count on some dimwit projecting their own hate into any issue.

16. Richard Aubrey says:

I wonder if anybody thought of “hit a jock day”
    Mmm. Probably not.
    There’s a lesson there.

1. […] Next there was “Hit a Tall Person Day” and, finally, “Hit a Jew Day.” Five students hav Source Education – […]