Students are learning to be slackers, writes Aaron Hanscom at Pajamas Media. Take the rules adopted in Dallas.
* Homework grades should be given only when the grades will â€œraise a studentâ€™s average, not lower it.â€
* Students who flunk tests can retake the exam and keep the higher grade.
* Teachers cannot give a zero on an assignment unless they call parents and make â€œefforts to assist students in completing the work.â€
* Teachers must accept overdue assignments.
* High school teachers who fail more than 20 percent of their students will need to develop a professional improvement plan and will be monitored by their principals.
Limiting teachers’ authority, encouraging procrastination and pressuring teachers to lower standards will not help students succeed in high school, he predicts.