‘Let are kids walk’

Fort Worth seniors who failed the state exam are demanding the right to walk across the stage at graduation.

Crystal Martinez complained that while she finished at the top of her class with a 3.5 grade point average, she is now blocked from graduation by failing the TAKS test.

“We know we’re not going to get our diplomas, but we just want to walk across the stage,” Martinez said. “That’s all we ask for right now.”

I feel for Crystal, who was given A’s and B’s but wasn’t taught the basic skills necessary to pass TAKS. She was lied to. And now she wants the appearance of graduation without the substance.

If you click on the link and look at the photo, you’ll see a protester carrying a sign: “Let are kids walk.”

1. Cardinal Fang says:

There was a related discussion over at Dean Dad’s place, at which I and other commenters opined that college students and grad students who hadn’t finished their requirements yet, but would be finishing well before the next graduation, should be allowed to walk with their “social class.” I did that myself, since I was finishing up in January and moving across the country, and my institution only had graduation in June.

But this is different. It’s not as if these students aren’t graduating because of a tiny technicality like overdue library books, which will soon be remedied. They failed the TAKS test, probably multiple times if the test is administered like the California one, and there’s no particular reason to think they’ll pass it the next time.

I agree with Joanne about the schools, though. What pathetic institutions of “learning” they are, to hand out As and Bs to students who can’t read and can’t count.

2. Cardinal Fang says:

The students first take the TAKS exit exam in the spring of 10th grade, so it’s not like the school district sprung this requirement on them at the last minute.

3. JorgXMcKie says:

Well, hey! We all know that the ceremonial aspects of the educational process are the most important, right? I mean, what does learning have to do with education. Why, I’ll bet the proud parents of these ‘seniors’ have a album full of all the graduation ceremonies their children have attended, from kindergarten on. Maybe even a few other ceremonies tossed in there, too. There’s the initiation into the Honor Society, and all those athletic and band and club activities to celebrate as well. Gosh, what kinda Scrooges are the administration at this HS, anyway?

4. JorgXMcKie says:

Sheesh. perview is my fiend, I guess.

5. Richard Cook says:

It’s “preview”. Speaking from vast experience, preview is your friend.

6. Richard Cook says:

Yup…that’s Jorg. Preview…bah!!!!

7. Wow. That sign. It really freaks me out.

8. Walter E. Wallis says:

What are you, some kinds prevert?

9. Catch Thirty-Thr33 says:

Sheesh. One, fulfill all of your obligations and requirements first, and stop whining. (Maybe if you took the TAKS test seriously – i had to contend with it when it was called TAAS – you wouldn’t be in this situation. You want to go through some silly ceremony where you are supposed to magically become adult – yet, you don’t want to do what all of us adults HAVE to do, and that is take responsibility for your actions.) Two, I have lived three decades and can definitely say that if anything in life is grossly overblown and overrated,it is high school graduation.

10. I thought the title was some kind of a cruel joke… turns out it is the cruel truth.

Walk our no walk, those kids don’t have a chance in life.

One of the many reasons I homeschool.

11. If anyone thinks they need to graduate check the picture out at the site referenced in the link.

12. I hate to pile on, but this seems to me ample evidence that we aren’t failing enough kids.

I personally think that education would be improved greatly if most schools were curved so they failed another 5-10 percent of their classes — and that includes the Ivy League!

13. Richard Nieporent says:

The saddest part of this story is not the fact that illiterate high school students want to take part in a graduation ceremony when they haven’t graduated, but the fact that a number of school districts let them do it.

Not all school districts ban students who fail the TAKS from graduation ceremonies. Arlington, Coppell, Duncanville, Frisco, Grand Prairie, Hurst-Euless-Bedford and Richardson students are permitted to “walk the stage.”

14. Bill Beeman says:

It’s tough for these kids to have to wait till they are supposed to graduate to learn that you do really have to perform in life, but better now than never.

A school that is letting students slide through with a 3.5 GPA when they have not really mastered the basics is not doing anyone any good…the students, their parents, or the taxpayers.

By the way, I had a few (very few, fortunately) teachers along the way who would let students skate through. But there was never any doubt in our minds as to whether we were learning or not. I doubt that these also really know where they stand.

By the way, this is not a recent problem. I vividly remember, as a young engineer discovering that the High School graduates on the shop floor could seldom handle simple fractions. On the other hand, my late father-in-law, an orphan who was unable to go farther than eighth grade in a rural school could keep a set of books (without a calculator) and was a voracious reader of history and classical literature.

Clearly, we once knew how to educate, but we’ve lost it.

15. Prof210 says:

Serving on a school board, I’m sometimes part of a group that must decide whether to “let a kid walk”. I have no problem saying “NO” to the parents of “students” who were offered help but just didn’t make the effort. But I’d prefer that we also banned from the stage teachers who pushed illiterates through the system rather than make an effort to identify and assist them.

16. If you want to address this issue, then begin “educating” the parents of these morons that failure IS an option – if the kids don’t learn what they are supposed to learn.

While there are teachers you can blame for showing no resistance to the “pass everyong” mentality, there are also teachers (such as my wife) who get drug through the coals because they have high standards and are willing to record Fs (to honors students, no less).

There are too many parents who think that kids cannot know failure because it’ll hurt their pretty little self-esteems. These parents won’t hesitate to go to administrators or school boards to “protect” their babies from this horrific experience. Thus, the onus is on us–we who respect standards and know that short-term failures can lead to long-term success (and vice versa)–to spread the message to our neighbors, our coworkers, or community that when a failure is earned, either the student receives the F or the parent does.

17. Paul Harvey also caught the spelling mistake.

Misspelling on sign could haunt cause

“Harvey had received a photo of the protest.

“Several students who expected to be walking across the stage are instead walking on a picket line,” Harvey said in his broadcast. “They are carrying protest signs. One of the signs said, ‘Let our kids walk.'”

But it wasn’t spelled correctly, Harvey noted.

“Our, as in ‘our kids,’ is spelled A-R-E,” he said. “Let are kids walk.”

Then, quickly moving on with a catchphrase, Harvey said, “Page 3!”

The protester in question would probably want to turn the page on that one, too.”