Military withdraws from UC job fair

Army and Marine recruiters will skip a job fair at the University of California at Santa Cruz, reports the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

SANTA CRUZ — UC Santa Cruz anti-war activists are claiming victory, saying their repeated efforts to keep military recruiters off campus have paid off.

. . . Members of Students Against War have disrupted three recruitment efforts since 2005. Last April, four recruiters left the fair with a police escort after a crowd of student protesters blocked the entrance to the building where the Army and National Guard had set up information tables.

Apparently, recruiters from regional offices decided Santa Cruz is a waste of time, though a local Army recruiter says he’ll continue to look for prospects at the university.

1. I wish they wouldn’t back out. That way, the Solomon Amendment could be enforced.

2. I totally agree with Darren. If I were king, UCSC would be cut off from all federal funding and support.

3. UCSC made it clear that they wouldn’t be bullied. The recruiters decided not to come. Why blame UCSC?

The whole issue infuriates me, because the protesters are much older and not representative of the school at large. The news reports should focus on that and check in with the greater school community to see what they think.

4. Yay, tolerance!

5. Cardinal Fang says:

I support the right of the recruiters to go to UC Santa Cruz, but it probably isn’t worth their time.

6. The university administration has tried to provide access for military recruiters, knowing federal funding is at stake. I’m sure many students prefer a job fair with military recruiters to no job fair at all. But there are enough people on the other side to shut down these events.

7. wayne martin says:

I think that UC Santa Cruz could have afforded to hire enough security personnel to “protect” the recruiters. Of course, that would probably have “provoked” these yahoos.

Since the recruiters decided to not go, there is no way to turn off federal funding ..

The Y2K Census says that only about 4% of the US population has been in the military. I was sorry to see the draft go away, since it helped to make certain that the military was able to draw across the sociological strata. The Army says its happy with the way things are, but I suspect that far too many people are not exposed to the military, its benefit and its costs to a free society.

Santa Cruz is where the likes of Angela Davis have been welcomed with open arms. She has been teaching there for about three decades now.

8. Walter E. Wallis says:

The ed level of the volunteer army is above that of civilians.
    When I went to war, my equipment probably cost $100 max. Today’s infantryman has a $25,000 share of a Bradley and another $10,000 strapped on. You don’t learn to operate that stuff with an 8 week basic. Draft is for cannon fodder. Better to have a few really good fighters [like my Marine grandson] and hire Haliburton for KP.
    I want the Sulivan cutoff to be a minimum 5 years, and I want it to include student loans. And I want it applied to the system, not just one store.

9. mike from oregon says:

Again, the ‘tolerance’ gang makes it impossible for anyone (group or individual) with a stance, an institution or belief that is in opposition to the ‘tolerance’ gang’s point of view to virtually exist.

My daughter is about to graduate from high school. We do not have the funds to send her to college. She has seen many of her cousins go to college and get degrees that they can’t use (english, psychology, biology) upon graduation and end up with jobs they don’t really care for and student debt up the wazoo.

She is about to go into the Army, she knows that she doesn’t know what she wants to do. She does want to travel both domestically and abroad. She is aware of the possible danger, but more military die from other non-combat related accidents than die from combat every year.

I support her, I support our military and I’m filled to the brim with the vitriol that the left wing spews.

10. Military recruiters are vultures preying on the innocent and ignorant, with slick promotions made by America’s best ad agencies, and promises of travel and education.

The suckers who sign up are then sent to die in colonial wars by people who aren’t making similar sacrifices themselves. Twenty years from now nobody apart from family will remember the dead.

11. wayne martin says:

U.S. Army Enlistment Incentives
    As of April 19, 2007
    Incentives are subject to change. Ask your local recruiter for the latest information.
    Active Army Incentives
    Active Army maximum enlistment bonus combination $40,000

The maximum combination of cash bonuses for an enlistment of four or more years is $40,000.
    The maximum bonus for a two-year enlistment is $6,000.
    The maximum for a three-year enlistment is $10,000 for most of the Army’s more than 150 entry-level jobs.
    The maximum for a three-year enlistment in some high-priority jobs is $20,000.

4-year Maximum Date of Increase
    or longer $40,000 January 2006
    $20,000 November 1999
    $12,000 March 1997
    $8,000 October 1995
    High Priority MOSs

3-year Maximum Date of Increase
    $20,000 June 2006
    $40,000 January 2006
    $20,000 April 2005
    $17,000 February 2005
    $15,000 August 2004
    Before August 2004, the maximum was $6,000.
    Most all other MOSs

3-year Maximum

2-year Maximum

12. wayne martin says:

> Twenty years from now nobody apart from family

The opinion of another of the “well educated”, no doubt.

A thankful America does remember:

And the booming nation of Korea, the result of another of America’s “colonial war”, is a living, breathing testament to the commitment of the American people, and the 35,000+ GIs who gave their lives for the Korean people, and a free world.

13. Walter E. Wallis says:

Mike, I salute your daughter. The Army will take her as far as she wants to go, educationally, socially and patriotically, all valuable directions. She can make it a wanderyar, or a career, both will be enjoyable and broadening.
    Adair, colonialism should be made of sterner stuff. It is your side that has enslaved billions and slaughtered millions while the United States lifts everyone up, even our enemies, uniquely among nations. Just as in the height of the Cold War, the direction of people flow spoke louder than the word flow. Now, Adair, go back down to the vile dust from which you have sprung, unwept, unhonored… well, being an educated thing you know the rest.

14. mike from oregon says:

Adair –

Thanks for making my point for me – you just spewed some of the ‘vitriol’ that I referred to.

15. Wayne Martin says:

Seems the GI has a point ..

Soldier: Honor troops like Va. Tech dead
    By ALISA TANG, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 23, 11:16 AM ET

KABUL, Afghanistan – An Army sergeant complained in a rare opinion article that the U.S. flag flew at half-staff last week at the largest U.S. base in Afghanistan for those killed at Virginia Tech but the same honor is not given to fallen U.S. troops here and in In the article issued Monday by the public affairs office at Bagram military base north of Kabul, Sgt. Jim Wilt lamented that his comrades’ deaths have become a mere blip on the TV screen, lacking the “shock factor” to be honored by the Stars and Stripes as the deaths at Virginia Tech were.

“I find it ironic that the flags were flown at half-staff for the young men and women who were killed at VT, yet it is never lowered for the death of a U.S. service member,” Wilt wrote.

I can remember a helocopter accident that happened some time back where six service personnel were killed. Right at the same time, an accident happened which killed six firemen. The media went nuts making heroes out of the firemen, and barely mentioned the aircrew. Members of Congresss actually came to speak at their funerals .. but no Congress persons were reported to have gone to the aircrews funerals.

Sad ..