Dangerous games

Tag is banned at recess at some elementary schools because it’s too dangerous, reports USA Today. The bellis tolling for “contact” sports such as soccer and touch football. According to Donna Thompson of the National Program for Playground Safety, educators worry about “kids running into one another” and getting hurt.

In January, Freedom Elementary School in Cheyenne prohibited tag at recess because it “progresses easily into slapping and hitting and pushing instead of just touching,” Principal Cindy Farwell says.

Contact sports were banned from recess at Charles Pinckney Elementary early this year, says Charleston County schools spokeswoman Mary Girault, because children suffered broken arms and dislocated fingers playing touch football and soccer.

What’s forbidden at recess may be authorized in gym class, when kids can be supervised by adults. The real taboo is unsupervised play.

1. It sounds to me like the real tabboo is letting kids be kids. How sad!! (Ok, so maybe I’m a little opinionated.)

Andy Pass

2. georgelarson says:

Doesn’t anyone realize that unsupervised play teaches team building, leadership, followership team work and negotiation? I hear schools are supposed to teach these things yet they want to do away with the main source of these skills.

3. SuperSub says:

I wonder how many players on the Brazil soccer team weren’t allowed to play unsupervised soccer because it was too dangerous.

4. trotsky says:

The shocking part of this story is that they banned tag in Cheyenne, Wyo. Wyoming!

5. My goodness, these people are pathetic cowards. What about the big Obesity Problem we hear so much about?! Playing tag every day during 3 recesses (imagine that) kept us all physically fit. It was a lot of fun, too.

6. widebody says:

The problem is that we live in an overly litigious society and there are too many lawyers who know that most public school systems will quickly settle out of court.

7. Along with the litigiousness of society is the risk aversity of public school administrators. They have nothing to gain by letting kids blow off some energy and several possibilities for loss.

Pulling in the direction of prohibiting contact sports is the attraction of being seen as an energetic defender of children from this source of possible injury. Any day you can position yourself as doing something “for the children” is a good day.

8. I’ve been in for dental work a couple times the past month.

My dentist, like he should be, is careful to try not to inflict pain.

But he was rather happy when I told him I was used to pain… he’s rather tired of the whole “never ought to feel pain your entire life” crowd.

9. Walter E. Wallis says:

We need to abandon the perfect requirement and go back to the reasonable person test. This may require all new judges and the elimination of punitive damages.

10. Indigo Warrior says:

This is just one more coffin nail in government schools.

11. Virginia plays dodgeball at school. How barbaric. But that’s at gym. And by the way, recess at her school is supervised, by parent volunteers. I have done it myself and we stop anything bad we see happening.

Very ironic the school is called “Freedom Elementary” Ha, what freedom? And the fact that there is such a thing as a “National Program for Playground Safety” should tell you all you need to know.