Teachers (heart) teachers

Teacher Love Line, started by an Alaska teacher, is a brand-new Internet dating site for single educators.

I prefer my idea: Match low-earning, socially adept teachers with high-earning, socially challenged engineers. Good for the teaching profession, good for family income, probably a good mix for the gene pool.

Comments

1. AL Teacher Grad says:

How about socially challenged engineers who change careers to become teachers? Who do we get to date?

🙂

2. Ah, yes. Engineers. Programmers. Techies. Geeks.

The last group that it is perfectly politically correct to sterotype.

Ever notice that on shows like 24, or Numbers or Crossing Jordan the engineers and technical types are not “beautiful people” like the rest of the actors?

Everyone knows that these people are “geeks”: odd looking, socially awkward and emotionally strange. But smart! Don’t forget smart! Just like black people used fit a negative stereotype, but they always had rhythm!

3. Rob, don’t be naive. Stereotyping engineers is a far different beast than stereotyping due to race or sex. The most important difference being that profession is a choice whereas race and sex are not. With that being the case it is clear to me, as an engineer, that people who enter the engineering profession tend to be socially awkward (as you put it). This is more true of software engineers than some of the more tangible disciplines such as MechE and BioE.

4. Robert Wright says:

As for engineers, our society needs their gene pool.

I suggest we give tax deductions to engineers who make frequent donations to sperm banks located in economically depressed sectors.

5. “My idea is for teachers to get hooked up with Las Vegas show girls. And let’s not limit this to teachers who are single.”

And let’s not limit this to male teachers. My fantasy life needs more variety.

6. Anthony says:

It also works for the engineers if they aren’t W-2 employees, or if they change jobs a lot – teacher benefits are fantastically good, and buying into the benefits plan from a spouse who teaches is often better than buying individual plans or dealing with a new plan every year.

7. Mike in Texas says:

I wouldn’t mind be matched up with some groupies.

Anthony, where are you from? Teachers in Texas have almost zero benefits. We also have a pension plan being constantly underfunded by the Republican controlled state govt. hoping to drive all professionals out.

8. Anthony says:

Mike – California, where the benefit plan that teachers get costs about $750 a month before the teacher has to contribute anything, and that doesn’t include their pension plan. My COBRA (I’m recently unemployed) for health plan is $170. (Other benefits not included may add as much as $80 to that total.)

9. Indigo Warrior says:

Socially adept teachers, indeed. If I could show you some of the social (and moral) cripples I had the misfortune to endure as my teachers! Textbook psychopaths, all of them. But of course they were the ones who defined terms such as “socially adept”, and we as students had our lives in their hands.

10. Indigo Warrior says:

11. ragnarok says:

Mike in Texas said:

“We also have a pension plan being constantly underfunded by the Republican controlled state govt. hoping to drive all professionals out.”

They seem to have succeeded, don’t you think?

“I wouldn’t mind be matched up with some groupies.”

I think you’ve got it backwards.

Trackbacks

1. replica jacob watch

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog 🙂

2. rolex says: