End the suffrage of women

Students at a girls’ Catholic school in Wilmington, Delaware were videotaped signing a petition to abolish women’s suffrage circulated by students from a boys’ Catholic school.

In the end, Padua Academy girls got a lesson in vocabulary, signing documents and the virtues of skepticism when it comes to Salesianum School boys with cameras and microphones.

Embarrassed administrators at both Wilmington Catholic high schools want to put behind them a month-old prank video showing Padua girls signing a Salesianum boy’s petition to end women’s suffrage.

Via Blogger Ale and Portia Rediscovered, which have links to the video.

Update: Portia links to a Padua student’s comments on her gullible classmates.

1. Mike in Texas says:

The Man Show did it first several years ago. Back before Joe Rogan took over and it ceased being funny.

2. Miller Smith says:

Oh come on Mike, it’s hilarious! Jay Leno does this skit with the general public al the time…and it’s funny as all get-out.

It’s really funny that I have to teach juniors and seniors basic arithmetic functions in my chemistry classes and then go to the database and see that they are ‘earning’ As and Bs in AlgebraII/Trig and Pre-Calc. And looking back all the way to their freshman year I see that they have As and Bs in every math class they took till they got to me. Come on Mike! This is real funny stuff!

I just roll on the ground from the giggles every year I get my new batch of students. I’m still going over the difference between the numerator and denominator with the students. Heck, they don’t know how to use their fancy graphic calculators (required for their math classes) to multiply fractions with numerators of 1 and non-zero and non-unity denominators.

I have parents that have put their high performing student into Sylvan to work on their basic math skills who are >4.00 GPAs for every year before they got to me. Don’t it just tickle your ribcage?

I am not surprised that those young females didn’t understand what they were signing-or more accurately, they thought they did.

My students don’t know basic history or government and their english skills are just good awful.

I laugh all day in my classes. Why, by the end of the day, I’ve laughed so hard I’ve got tears running down my face. Boy, have we served our students well. They’ve got the grades to prove it!

3. Waterfall says:

Good joke. Portia Rediscovered also posts an article written by a Padua student in response. Worth the read: http://thehugkid.com/index.php?document=/articles/sillygirls.html

4. Miller Smith, you had me crying by the end of your post. Now I’m so depressed, I may go back to bed.

5. Robert Wright says:

I liked it.

6. Walter E. Wallis says:

Why not just redefine the word? It works in politics, just ask any undocumented worker.

7. Indigo Warrior says:

I wonder how many people confuse “suffrage” with “suffering?”

8. I wonder how many people sign petitions that they don’t understand? So, I now have even more reason to discredit on-line petitions.

9. Yes, Walter. That’s the whole joke and what the boys were shooting for. It’s not funny if you have to explain it, though. πŸ™‚

10. Walter E. Wallis says:

I am waiting for the laugh about undocumented worker. Perhaps if rapists were referred to as undocumented boyfriends?

11. Richard Aubrey says:

This and the petition calling for the banning of dihydrogen monoxide are perennials.

They never wear out.

Presumably, at a certain age, maybe six months, we are not expected to know this stuff. At a later age, we are.

What is the age at which this stuff should be generally known? Puberty? PhD grads?

Doesn’t seem like fishbarrel shooting when you ask high school kids. They ought to know better. Second grade, maybe not.