Nevada needs teachers

Clark County, Nevada expects a shortage of 500 teachers when school opens in a few weeks.

(Lina) Gutierrez said she expects to have about 1,600 teachers contracted by the first day of school Aug. 29. But the district — one of the fastest growing in the nation — needs about 2,100 teachers to fill all its vacancies, most of which are in high-need areas such as special education, math and science.

The district is importing English-speaking teachers from the Philippines and “bilingual” math teachers from Spain, but legislators rejected alternative certfication, notes the Center for Education Reform.

The ABCTE program allows teachers with college degrees to test through the education course knowledge and teach in the field of their expertise. But in true status-quo fashion, the education establishment rallied its troops immediately to kill this option.

Better to have a sub or a math teacher who doesn’t speak fluent English.

1. Filipinos generally speak English, no?

2. muggleforharrypotter says:

Chuck, you’re right. Good call. I wonder if any of Joanne’s other readers will catch that.

Considering that English is one of their two national languages, they speak it quite fluently.

Better than most Americans actually, as they are big on grammar. You’re not going to find “whole language” or “creative spelling” techniques in their English classes. Phonics all the way, too. I’d rather have a Phillipino person teach children English than some “whole language” person, any day of the week.

It really gets my goat when people surmise that non-white=stupid and ignorant of English.

3. I’ll fix the post. I was referring to their math teachers from Spain, who apparently aren’t fluent in English. Educated Filipinos typically speak English well. California districts are importing a lot of Filipino teachers as well.

4. muggleforharrypotter says:

Oh sorry Joanne, I guess there was a cross between what you meant and how it was read. My apologies. I see your point now, and agree with you.

5. Walter E. Wallis says:

Las Vegas, 117 degrees. Make sure your job pays enough to air condition your car and your house, your classroom is air conditioned and you have a handicapped tag to park real close to store and restaurant doors. If your spouse is an air conditioning mechanic you have it made –
    Except for having one of the dumbest senators extant.

6. Having dealt with english speaking imports from the Philippines in my own industry, I can tell you that this is not the panacea it seems. Things are done differently in other countries and practices that work well over seas don’t often translate well in the US.

7. ragnarok says:

Ivory said:

“Having dealt with english speaking imports from the Philippines in my own industry, I can tell you that this is not the panacea it seems.”

If they’re willing to work hard, they can do quite a bit. They probably won’t be quite as slick at calling a union rep as a red-blooded union teacher, but we must all learn to tolerate these failings.

8. Mr. Davis says:

Why not increase salaries? That’s what real companies do when they can’t get enough employees. I’ll bet even the casinos and brothels do it. Those vacancies would disappear pronto. Or at least be transferred to California where they would be less noticeable.

9. I wasn’t really thinking about their familiarity with unions. Actually, our unions are now dominated by Philippinos because they make up a large portion of our staff. But when there are different ideas about what best practice is, what “hard work” is, that can cause trouble. Most foreign students are not as “obstreperous” as our students. Some foreign countries use corporal punishment in schools to keep order (don’t know if that is still true in the Philippines but it used to be). What would those teachers do here? Wiggle their eyebrows in a menacing fashion?

This is sort of like reverse outsourcing. If the only way to get more teachers hired is to import them from impoverished foreign nations, maybe there is something wrong?

10. ragnarok says:

I was being ironic, not serious. Dealing with other cultures isn’t at all easy, even if you speak the same language. That said, I think it’s also true that enthusiasm and a willingness to work hard can make up for a lot.

About reverse outsourcing, take a look at the US Nobel winners in the sciences over the last several decades. Quite a few of them were foreign-born. I grant you they aren’t quite what you’re talking about, but still…

Immigrants in general have an advantage because they have been conditioned by a more competitive culture, and they’re willing to work hard. I know of countries where only the top 0.5% or less are chosen in several nation-wide exams.

11. Mr. Davis wrote:

One of the other things real companies do is fire poor performers. How far do you want to go with your comparison?

Also, a salary increase would go to the current batch of teachers as well as the new teachers and we know the current bunch can’t be that good if they were willing to work for such low wages.