Out of the yearbook

The principal of a Florida high school pulled the yearbok photo of a lesbian student because she’d dressed in a tuxedo. Officials say the student didn’t follow the dress rules, but the school board attorney says there is no dress code for senior pictures.

1. I think the principal was out of line. Gosh kids do so many offensive things, I think this kid was nicely dressed for the occassion and socially acceptable.

2. Here’s the problem, if he allows her to dress in what was the prescribed boy’s dress, what is to stop a boy from wearing the girl’s prescribed dress? I think he nipped this in the bud. For next year, they might want to rethink the clothing requirements, but for now, IMO, he was spot on.

3. I’m sure the yearbook contains many candid shots– which I’ll bet include T-shirts, etc that aren’t “acceptable”. The wearing of a tux, I’m sure pales in comparison.

Re: the concern for next year, if the student is doing it as a joke (dressing in drag, a clown’s costume,etc)– then I can see the school stepping in, not only for the dignity of the book, but to keep the kid from feeling like an idiot when his kids look at the book years later.

(For instance, I wish someone would have told me in 1976 to cut my hair & shorten the sideburns–I looked like a moron)

But from all reports, this girl is sincere– and so, especially with no rule in place, I’d override the principal on this one.

4. Walter E. Wallis says:

Just put all the tuxedos together.
    High school is a little early for someone to lock into a sexual identity. They will sometimes feel obliged out of stubornness to stay with that identity even when they might otherwise want to straighten out.

5. Ross the Heartless Conservative says:

In a democracy I would vote to allow the tuxedo. However, running a school is not a democracy the principal is responsible for making the decisions on how to run the school. No way in heck would I overrule the principal on this issue if I were on the school board. However, when it came time to evaluate whether or not to renew his contract this would be a small black mark.

The kid’s Mom is kind of wacky though:
    “This is not to be treated as a gay rights issue,” said her mother, Cindi Davis. “Rather it’s a human rights issue.”

Idiots that want to compare any little thing they disagree with to major events seem to get way to much time in the news.

6. When class pictures were taken for my senior year, we had a specific dress code. I couldn’t afford a coat and tie at that time and I wouldn’t have worn one if I could. Needless to say, I was not allowed to have my picture taken for the yearbook. To this day, I don’t blame the school in any way. This was my choice, just like wearing the tuxedo was her’s.

Even though the school board didn’t have a dress code, the school (principal) did. The students new this ahead of time. This girl didn’t think she should have to follow it and now has a bunch of people who support her “right” to not have to follow it. This assumed “right” raises some questions.

Next year, when someone wants to wear a Confederate Flag lapel pin because it’s “who they are”, is that going to be okay? I know there are a lot of people who would find it offensive just like many people think homosexuality is offensive.

On a side note:
    I think a big problem with some people is that they think they have a right to not be offended. There is no such “right” that I know of.

HOWEVER, if you are going to allow one student to deviate from the norm, you better be ready to allow all of them to do the same. Think of all the fun the principal and the school board will have dealing with that. I’m with P. Abel on this one. I think the principal is preventing more trouble than he is causing.

7. I think a lot of you are missing the point. She was uncomfortabel with the only other choice of clothing available. Why should she be forced to wear something that she thought revealed too much of her? I don’t think using the tux as an option is out of bounds at all. The fact that she is a lesbian is coincidental in all of this.

8. Go back and read all of the stupid comments you have made.

Assholes like you are one of the reasons I left school after the eight grade.

9. Is this “Pick on Florida Week,” Joanne? 😉

10. Nels Nelson says:

I’m pretty much with Ross on this: defer to the principal, and then take into account the policy and the way he’s handled this situation once it comes time to review his performance. Personally I don’t see the problem with letting her wear a tuxedo, but I also don’t see any great or lasting harm to her from not having her picture in the yearbook, such that the school board or some higher authority should intervene.

And hopefully next year the school will have a written, explicit policy.

11. Half Canadian says:

For my senior picture, they made us wear the graduation gown that everyone wears. Adopting a policy like that would pretty well eliminate any clothing controversy.

12. Walter E. Wallis says:

You sure showed them, didn’t you, Doc.

13. In keeping with education’s current love affair with diversity, why not have separate yearbooks for every different group and subgroup: black, white, hispanic, filipino, asian, Sikh, Muslim, gay and lesbian, etc? Many universities now have separate graduations for some of these groups, let alone separate dorms. Apparently many find comfort and safety within their own group, and God knows we don’t want anyone to feel “uncomfortable.” It’s in the Constitution. Any judge on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will tell you that, for cying out loud.

14. Walter E. Wallis says:

Let me see – What if you are a Gay Sikh?
    How about nekid pictures?

1. Holden says: