Making it legal

The affair started when he was 12 and she was 34. Now they’re getting married.

Mary Kay Letourneau and her former sixth-grade pupil, Vili Fualaau, with whom she had two children, have set the date for their wedding, according to an online bridal registry.

Letourneau, 43, and Fualaau, 22, plan to wed April 16, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported Monday. Letourneau served 7 1/2 years on a 1997 conviction for raping Fualaau.

. . . Letourneau was a married mother of four when she began a sexual relationship with the then-12-year-old Fualaau after meeting at Burien’s Shorewood Elementary School in 1996, when she was 34. She was pregnant with Fualaau’s first child when she was arrested in 1997 and ordered to serve a six-month sentence for second-degree child rape.

. . . One month after she was released, Letourneau was caught having sex with Fualaau in her car. She pleaded guilty in 1997 to two charges of child rape, and gave birth to the couple’s second daughter while serving her 7 1/2-year sentence. Fualaau’s mother is raising their two daughters, aged 6 and 7.

The former teacher lives with friends. Her former student, an unemployed high school drop-out, wants to be an artist.

Best of luck to the happy couple.

1. I certainly don’t think this should start any precedents. But if their desire to be together has endured through this much opposition and separation, maybe this really is a case of true love.

2. Jack Tanner says:

Isn’t this like a violation of her probation or something?

3. Ross the Heartless Conservative says:

True love between a 34 year old and a 12 year old? Her “true love” has brought a lot of pain to several families.

It is not a violation of parole. Since he is now of age and wants to have contact there is no reason for the courts to be involved at this point.

4. James Fulford says:

Reunited and Planning to Wed

But that chapter of Letourneau’s life is over. Upon her release from prison, Fualaau asked the court to lift its no-contact order against Letourneau. They are reunited, very much in love, and planning to marry.

5. John from OK says:

…and Mary’s two newest children will learn the lesson of her previous four when the lovely bride puts “love” ahead of, well, love, once more. Bet on it.

6. Richard Brandshaft says:

Are conservatives willing to be politically correct if it gives them and excuse to be nasty? Fox News says yes. Referring to the teacher as a “rapist” in the plain English — as opposed to legal — sense is rooted in the politically correct notion that there is no difference between a grown woman having sex with a boy is the same as a grown man having sex with a girl.

7. Huh? Would you clarify that statement Richard Brandshaft? I can be a little dense sometimes and I have no idea what you are trying to say.

8. She was convicted of second-degree rape. If the boy hadn’t consented, it would have been first-degree rape.

TypeKey victim Bill Leonard writes: I wonder what Mary’s other four kids, at least some of whom must be close to the groom in age, think about all this.

9. Ross the Heartless Conservative says:

I am with ChrisW on this one.

I am not sure, but it sounds almost like Richard is saying it is OK for 30+ year old women to have sex with 12 year olds and that Fox News is OK with adult child sex but they are just using political correctness to be mean when they say that such activity is rape

Surely I am interpreting his remarks wrong.

10. “True love between a 34 year old and a 12 year old?”

No, at this point it’s true love between a 22 yr old and a 43 yr old. He’s an adult now and has had plenty of opportunities (and I’m sure pressure from family and media) to find other women.

11. For every freaky relationship, there’s a folk song. This one even has an educational hook to it:

Oh father, oh father
    You’ve done me great wrong
    You’ve married me
    To a boy who is to young
    I am twice twelve
    and he is but fourteen
    He’s young, but he’s daily growing.

Oh daughter, oh daughter
    I’ve done you no wrong
    I’ve married you
    To a brave lord’s son
    He’ll be a man to you
    When I am dead and gone
    He’s young, but he’s daily growing.

Oh father, oh father
    If you see fit
    Send him off to college
    For one year yet
    I’ll tie blue ribbons
    All around his neck
    To let the ladies know that he’s married.

One day as I was looking
    O’er my father’s garden wall
    I spied the young boys
    All playing with their ball
    And my own true love
    He was the fairest of them all
    He’s young, but he’s daily growing.

At the age of fourteen
    He was a married man
    At the age of fifteen
    The father of a son
    At the age of sixteen
    O’er his grave the grass grows green
    The wars put an end to his growing.

I’ll make my love a shroud
    Of linen so fine
    Every stitch I stitch of it
    The tears come trickling down
    Once I had a true love
    But now nary a one
    But I’ll watch o’er his son while he’s growing.

12. From Chris W:

Yehudit, you must not be aware of the abuser/victim dynamic. Once a person has been abused, as this young man has, that abuse can cause emotional scars that may never heal. When he was 12 years old, he could not make mature decisions about love and sex. His teacher made those decisions for him by seducing him. She is still holding him in an abusive relationship whether he realizes it or not.

I know of a case where a child was abused by his mother throughout his childhood. Now that the man is an adult, you would think that he would refuse to have anything to do with her. Not so, he still allows her to hurt him. A person who has not been abused cannot fully understand the relationship between an abuser and a victim. It is complex, full of manipulation and mind games.

13. Jack Tanner says:

RB – it’s not that hard, even for you.

She’s referred to as a rapist because that’s what she was convicted of.

‘There was a no-contact order, which would have continued forever, if the “victim” hadn’t asked for it to be lifted.’

As I remember there’s usually a no-contact order with victims of violent crime but wouldn’t the victim have to go before a judge to get the order lifted leading to the rhetorical question of why would it be granted?