Happy

Happy Carpenter is happy with his children’s public elementary school, and reports traditional Christmas books haven’t been banned from the third grade.

A happy parent is hot news these days.

Comments

1. I’ll second that. To use business terminology (It’s supposed to be in vogue.) A happy customer is a repeat customer. 😉

2. For my 7th graders, I duplicated and passed out “The Birth of Jesus” from Pearl S. Buck’s The Story Bible. We had just read The Gift of the Magi and many of them didn’t know about the Three Wise Men.

There were no protests.

3. Mike in Texas says:

Joanne wrote:

A happy parent is hot news these days.

There’s lots of happy parents out there, its just that as part of the anti-public school crowd you choose not to post any stories about them. There’s a story on the Fox News website, which slanted it by titling the link “Failing but staying”, that says only 200 students out of 200, 000 eligiible under the feds crooked accounting system transferred out of their school. The full story is here

4. Mike in Texas says:

Sorry about the link, not sure why it isn’t working. The Fox News story is :

5. Mike in Texas says:

Here’s another story you won’t be seeing here or the Thomas B. Ford Foundation or any of the other anti-teacher, anti-public school websites.

If this had happened at a public school it would be all over the above mentioned sites. Posting the story for any of this crowd would run contrary to their public schools are evil, charter schools are great agenda. Here’s a little tidbit from the story:

The University of Missouri-St. Louis announced in August that it would end its sponsorship of the charter school, meaning the school must find a new sponsor by June or close. The university placed the school on probation twice, citing fiscal mismanagement, board corruption, poor academic performance and high turnover in leadership — seven principals in five years.

Sounds like a learning paradise to me.

6. BackinIndy says:

MIT,
    If this were a public school, closing it wouldn’t be an option. The teachers union might allow a change in the administration, but nothing else would happen.

7. Mike in Texas says:

The teachers union might allow a change in the administration

Where did you get the mistaken idea teachers (or their unions) have any say so in administration?

8. Mike in Texas says:

If this were a public school, closing it wouldn’t be an option.

There’s a reason you just don’t shut down a public school, and why you shouldn’t just shut down a charter school either. Its bad for the students. Remember? The little ones who its all for?

9. Sorry to burst y’all’s bubbles but charter schools are governement (i.e., public) schools.

10. Steve LaBonne says:

I’m happy with my daughter’s middle school. You want to know why? Beacuse I rented when I first took my current job, did my research, and hand-picked the district I wanted to buy property in. I was lucky enough to find a decent condo I could afford (though honestly it’s a bit of a stretch) in the chosen district, a wealthy and high-performing one with first-rate teachers and facilities. You know what that is? It’s school choice. We’ve always had it- for those with the means to buy a house in the “right” districts. In turn, those districts know they have to compete for the residents who pay their freight, and it concentrates their minds on doing their jobs well. The question is not whether we should have school choice, it’s whether only the relatively affluent should continue to have access to it.

11. Walter E. Wallis says:

Anti-teacher? Anti public education? Unions have nothing to do with administration?

Excuse me, I must have come to the wrong blog. I was looking for JJ.

12. Mike in Texas wrote:

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe it’s just the conclusion you jump to when you find out a member, or members, of the school board is also a member of the teacher’s union.

Its bad for the students. Remember? The little ones who its all for?

Worse for the students then continuing to go to a rotten school, conventional or charter? I don’t think so.

Unless the lesson to be taught is that education is a boring, frustrating, pointless waste of time.

Bad schools seem to get that point across with impressive efficacy.

If you’re drawing a paycheck from that rotten school there might be a consideration beyond the education that the school delivers. Of course, that sort of self-centered concern would only apply to administrators and facilities staff. Teachers are far too high-minded to ever put their financial considerations on the same level as their professional integrity.

Hey Mike, have you ever quit in protest from a school because their policies interfered with your effectiveness as a teacher? Maybe you know quite a few teachers who have? Any?

13. Mike in Texas says:

And your are surprised by this? In the district Iwork for 3 school board members are married to teachers, one of whom is my principal. Sounds like a workers paradise doesn’t? Let’s see them, my pay is hmmm, exactly the minimun specified by the state so we don’t get paid any extra for having such connections.

Actually Allen, I haven’t; instead I choose to stay and fight them. Also, here in Texas the punishment for quitting in the middle of your contract can be revoking of your certification. I hvae seen many talented teachers leave the profession all togethether then continue dealing with the BS from politicians and ill informed people who think all schools need to be reformed.