Tribulation

Here’s an apocalyptic analysis of No Child Left Behind, linked from Gadfly.

Comments

1. Joanne, this Jane Stillwater is a banana. Mike from Texas’ take on the NCLB is measured and thoughful by comparison.

2. I know she’s bananas. (I think it’s plural.) I just thought it was amusingly over the top. And I can’t resist the word “apocalypse.”

3. Bluemount says:

Although I don’t see the link to NCLB or Christianity, I don’t understand how kiddie ‘boot camps’ are an acceptable way to deal with youth issues. They’re very expensive and removed from the public eye. The penal system is the fastest growing industry in the US, and all are systems of removal as opposed to reform.

Who are we putting in these boot camps? Most people feel this kid, should not have been suspended for 5 days, much less 21. http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/education/3867516/detail.html

4. Mike in Texas says:

I didn’t see the link to the NCLB analysis either.

Allen wrote:

Mike from Texas’ take on the NCLB is measured and thoughful by comparison.

That hurt.

Just kidding, doesn’t hurt at all. It just shows me my arguements are my logical then yours so you have to resort to personal insults 😉

5. Mike in Texas wrote:

Yeah, your logic is impeccable.

That’s why the NCLB got passed. That’s why charters are conquering state after state. That’s why the credibility of the teaching profession has diminished almost to the same level as journalism. That’s why you’re not going to see that 45% budget bump that you’ve been dreaming of.

6. I spotted the connection between NCLB and the “Left Behind” book series– basically a pun on their names– but wasn’t sure what this all had to do with neocons or boot camp. Must be the Bush connection– is it that he’s “born again”, consorts with neocons, and is plotting to reintroduce the draft the day after the election?

This is a good example of what passes for thinking in people who have no aptitude for logic, and who thus rely on association and “pattern-matching”. Guilt by association is perfectly valid, and cause and effect are always interchangeable. Maybe schizophrenia is just an extreme case of this.

7. Mike in Texas says:

People are just no damned good and it’s your bad luck to inhabit a world of your inferiors. Too bad you live in a world of people who aren’t as wise and compassionate as you.

Ahh, once again my superior logic has reduced someone to hurling insults.

8. Mike in Texas wrote:

Ahh, once again my superior logic has reduced someone to hurling insults.

If by “superior logic” you mean bald-faced and easily discovered misrepresentations then sure, you’re a towering intellect.

By the way, I did a little digging into your assertion that Texas funds public education at only 55% on the amount “necessary”. As I suspected it’s just a variation on the left-wing theme of moral imperatives cloaking self-serving rable-rousing.