A part-time instructor at Fort Lewis College in Colorado kicked the leg of a student wearing a College Republicans sweat shirt at an off-campus restaurant. According to student Mark O’Donnell, his assailant, Maria Spero, then said “she should have kicked me harder and higher.”

Spero, a visiting instructor of modern languages, apologized to O’Donnell in a letter dated Oct. 29.

“I acted entirely inappropriately by kicking you, giving vent to a thoughtless knee-jerk political reaction that should never have happened,” she wrote. “Before the incident, I did not know you and that you are a Fort Lewis student.”

Actually, it’s not OK to kick non-students either.

1. So this is what knee-jerk liberalism leads to?

2. MarkM, your comment made me laugh out loud. I almost stole it to submit this article to as a headline, but decided that wasn’t fair.

3. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Reports of similar nonsense– most of which happens *on campus*– can be read here:

4. Kim, go right ahead and use it.

5. Richard Nieporent says:

What a surprise, irrational hatred and violence from those “peace-loving” folks on the Left.

6. I don’t know why the words “assault charge” aren’t figuring into this more. That’s what I’d do.

7. rudyalaska says:

Leftist fascists are always more dangerous than their right wing counterparts. here in Alaska as with many other places I imagine, George Bush signs are vandalized with impunity.

8. Jack Tanner says:

She’s got the jerk part right.

9. Mike in Texas says:

I’m not a laywer but wouldn’t this meet the legal definition of assault?

10. coloradoliberal says:

I am from Durango and have heard both sides of the story. Yes it was wrong but at the same time was it blown out of proportion I think so. To rub someone’s face in republican values such as the comment which was labeled on the shirt of Mr. O’Donnell saying “work for us now or work for us later”. This election has focused on everything which is inappropriate. Which has lead people of Democratic and Republican parties to act unjust. I don’t agree with violence but i also don’t agree with unappropriate ideals such as what the shirt was exemplifying.

11. coloradoliberal wrote:

Kind of an either/or situation, colorado. Otherwise, someone’s got to decide which ideals/t-shirts are kickworthy.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never met anyone I’m willing to trust with a decision like that.

12. Mad Scientist says:

So colorado, I guess free speech is just fine with you as long as you agree with what is freely said.

And what is so “inappropriate” with what was on the shirt? Since when are you the sole arbiter of appropriateness?