Don’t offend the witches

Halloween parties are banned in Puyallup, Washington schools this year. The superintendent says parties and parades waste class time and pressure families who can’t afford costumes. Also, Halloween is offensive to witches.

“Witches with pointy noses and things like that are not respective symbols of the Wiccan religion and so we want to be respectful of that,” said (spokesperson Karen) Hansen.

The Wiccan, or Pagan, religion is growing in the U.S. and there are Wiccan groups in Puyallup.

Number eight on the district’s guidelines related to holidays and celebrations reads as follows: “Use of derogatory stereotypes is prohibited, such as the traditional image of a witch, which is offensive to members of the Wiccan religion.”

A district e-mail warns administrators not to tolerate images of “Witches on flying brooms, stirring cauldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats) and instead address them as you would hurtful stereotypes of any other minority.”

There’s a long folk history warning of the evil consequences of offending witches. Watch out for those fairy godmothers too.

1. Steve LaBonne says:

Living people offend zombies. We must all become zombies, or else commit suicide.

2. I guess they better not play pin the tail on the donkey, after all it may offend the superintendent, who is a jackass.

3. Not being allowed to offend wiccans is offensive to my anti-wiccan religion.

4. If I were teaching there, I’d hang up pictures of little witchies all over the freaking room.

5. mike from oregon says:

So that should also mean that Hansel and Gretel can no longer be mentioned. Snow White will have to be banned. The banning of the offensive character will lead to a virtual ‘witch hunt’ in the library – oops, there’s that word again.

6. Walter E. Wallis says:

This is a joke isn’t it? Please be a joke.

7. Katherine C says:

I think some of your comments are insensitive. While I am personally not against using images of mythological witches, etc, distinguishing between real flesh and blood people of a nature based religion and a mythological counterpart who really only shares a title, I can understand where some might choose to tread lightly. Their response might be an overreaction, but at least they’re taking people’s feelings into consideration, not insulting their faith and flippantly comparing them to zombies.

8. Mad Scientist says:

What ever happened to “Sticks and stones…”? I am offended by your over-sensitivity to this non issue.

An aside: wouldn’t they also have to ban Macbeth?

9. Hey! Take it easy on those Fairy Godmothers–they didn’t choose to be made that way.

10. mike from oregon says:

Puyallup (pronounced pull-all-up) isn’t too far from here so the local news is covering this (somewhat). The latest is that the parents are getting ready to give the administrators an ear full come this next school board meeting, which is suppose to be before the 31. Just to keep everyone abreast.

11. Keep us posted, Mike.

If the objecting parents don’t show up, the local population of toads increases suddenly and the local Wiccans seem particularly smug, that’s something I’d like to know about.

12. Weird. I’m actually pretty happy they’re not celebrating Halloween, although not for fear of offending Wiccans. I’m an evangelical Christian who is very unhappy with seeing kids glorifying commericialized Satanism.

13. Mad Scientist says:

As an Evangelical Christian, you no doubt know that “All Hallows Eve” (or Halloween), was a Catholic holiday (the eve of All Saints Day) where people venerated their dearly departed ancestors. In Mexico, it is known as “The Day of the Dead”, and is still practiced today.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Satan. Or Wiccans.

But, as an Evangelical Christian, you probably consider Catholic holidays and rituals the work of the devil.

Does this mean that Evangelical Christians are ignorant? Probably.

14. Mad Scientist,

I do not see why you feel the need to insult me or other evangelicals, but I assure you I am well aware that Nov. 1st is a Christian holiday (All Saints’ Day) and that Oct. 31st is All Hallows Eve. I also know that it was adapted by the Catholic church from pagan holidays such as Samhain. In our culture today, I see Samhain being celebrated, not All Hallows Eve.

15. Mad Scientist says:

Insulting evangelicals is a pet hobby of mine. I find them to be the shallowest, most brain dead of all the cultists out there.

So lighten up and give out some candy. Else the little bastards will TP your house.

16. mike from oregon says:

Well, they had the school board meeting last night, the parent’s gave the board hell over the board’s decision. They even had someone who claimed to represent the local ‘wiccan’ groups, who claimed that the school celebrating Halloween did NOT offend them. However, it’s important to disregard the people that fund you – the school board stuck by it’s decision to NOT allow Halloween celebrations in school. I hope they vote the boneheads out.

To SandaM –
    Both my children went to Catholic grade schools (when they graduated they were both two levels higher than their public school counterparts) – the Catholic schools celebrated Halloween (because it’s an important event to kids), but witches, costumes depicting blood or violence was prohibited. They encouraged costumes celebrating saints (St. Michael with a sword was always popular) – so with limitations, it can be celebrated without involving ‘satanism’.

1. Spibull says:

Halloween can be fun, especially if you have little kids in your life. The costumes are a lot better than they were when I was young (plastic mask from K-mart anyone?) , the incidence of nasty cranks handing out apples instead of candy seems lower (the…

2. Wrong Reason

I wonder if going skyclad would be acceptable….