Helicopter parents

Universities are beefing up parent orientation sessions to deal with “helicopter parents” who hover over their offspring.

Update: Samuel Freedman has a New York Times column on parents who have trouble letting go when their children start college.

Comments

1. mike from oregon says:

Hmmm, the link doesn’t work Joanne

2. superdestroyer says:
  3. Kind of reminds me of the old definition of Yuppie Parents: nervous people with flash cards.

4. mike from oregon says:

Thanks SD, that worked.

5. I wonder what these parents would do on the first day their children entered military service.

6. I don’t know who “originated” the “Helicopter” analogy, but Dr. Foster Cline has a presentation titled: “Helicopters, Drill Sergants, and Consultants” available at: https://www.loveandlogic.com/ecom/Productlist.aspx?template=ProductsList&Keyword=Helicopters

That I would recommend to ALL parents as well as much other useful parenting information at his Love and Logic web site.

7. Richard Heddleson says:

The phenomenon is not new. Douglas MacArthur’s mother stayed at the Thayer Hotel for his four years at West Point. He was the only Cadet to that time, and perhaps ever, to graduate without a demerit. Coincidence?

Boomer parents have invested a lot in their children, in all senses. They have also invested in a lot fewer children than did their parents. They have to make sure every one of them pays off.

Finally, the colleges have raised tuition so high that they have to provide whatever frills they can to make the full fare customers feel they are getting value for the ransom paid.

8. Boo writes:
    … I wonder what those parents would do on the first day their children entered military service?

well it’s been done: old news (anyone know how to make it a quote?)

US mother’s surprise Iraq visit
    You might think that a war zone would be one of the few places where you would be guaranteed not to get a visit from your mother. But this was not the case for one US soldier whose mother dropped by to see him at his military base in Iraq.

Her son, a 26-year-old army ranger, had warned his mother not to come, insisting that it was too dangerous in Iraq. He even went so far as to not reveal where he is based, but clearly he had underestimated Susan Galleymore’s tenacity.

… more

censor alert: curiously the BBC triggers a filter as questionable content, initial message was rejected.

so heres the link in piece (no www)
    news.
    bbc.
    co.
    uk/
    2/hi/middle_east/3602733.stm

9. superdestroyer says:

The type of children whose parents obsess about college are not the type who are going to go into the military. The parents see all academic ahcievement as high stakes and thus will not be happy unless their children are at Harvard Med of the Wharton School of Business.

10. Chris wrote: more

11. thanks, Mark.

is there a primer somewhere on how to put in link (or italics). Always willing to learn

12. Using the brackets above the comma and period, type (openbracket) a href=”full URL here”(closebracket) Then type your link word or words followed by (open bracket) /a (close bracket).

13. thanks from a lifelong leaner

14. BTW, I got the same censor message Chris did:

Your comment could not be submitted due to questionable content: news.bbc.co.uk

. . . and the solution was to substitute the HTML entity “n” for the letter “n”, so that “news.bbc.co.uk” becomes “news.bbc.co.uk”. Don’t know why “news.bbc.co.uk” should be blocked . . .

HTML entities also allow you to display characters that normally would be filtered out by the comments parser, and to do the following:

Joanne wrote: Using the brackets above the comma and period, type (openbracket) a href=”full URL here”(closebracket) Then type your link word or words followed by (open bracket) /a (close bracket).

becomes:
    Using the brackets above the comma (<) and period (>), type <a href=”full URL here”> Then type your link word or words followed by </a>.

Chart of ASCII codes for HTML entities here.

HTML italics are done similarly:
    type <i> Then type the word or words you want in italics followed by </i>.

15. I don’t know if his mother was living nearby, but Robert E. Lee graduated from West Point with 0 demerits, also. He was, however, only second in his class. So perhaps his mom wasn’t quite as close at hand.

16. this “blocking of questionable content” has been a wheeze going around…if the blog owner has used MT blacklist and has been a bit careless in specifying the blacklist sometimes odd things such as

b

or

an

get blocked.

17. Hi, I am a psychology student conducting research on the subject of parent involvement in education at the post-secondary level, and helicopter parents is a term I am interested in. If anyone out there knows of any research studies that have been conducted on this topic I would really appreciate being informed about them. I have been researching for two months and have yet to come across any.
    Thanks so much

18. I am a clinical social worker who has been working with this phenomenon for a number of years.Feel free to contact me for my experiences.

Stephen Rosenbaum

19. I am a clinical social worker who has been working with this phenomenon for a number of years.Feel free to contact me for my experiences.

Stephen Rosenbaum