Help the blogger

Sunday, I drove my daughter to Oakland Airport for her flight to New York City. She’s not visiting. She’s moved. I was so focused on making sure she hadn’t forgotten anything crucial that I forgot my purse and had to borrow $10 from her to get the car out of short-term parking and pay the bridge toll. Also, I forgot that I was wearing slippers, but they look shoeish, so that wasn’t too bad.

At any rate, she’s now looking for a place to live in Washington Heights or maybe Morningside Heights. And she’ll need to find a part-time editing, writing or coffee-making job, since her magazine can’t afford to pay the staff actual money. Apartment and job tips are welcome.

Also, I’ve got a new ad up for Quo Vadis planners. They gave me a freebie. Quite nice. I’ve dropped the Google ads, which were a bust, and I’m planning to go to BlogAds. After all, I’ve got a college graduate to support. Temporarily.

1. Charles Weinberg says:

I work for SAIC…..look for us at

There are two openings in NYC…Tech writer and Admin Assist…….perhaps your daughter could apply for those…..if intereseted go to the website and look for the job opportunities under NYC for those two titles……I know the hiring manager for the Admin slot.

Good Luck,
    Charles Weinberg
    Senior Engineer

2. Walter E. Wallis says:

Interesting how the NEA waited until you were away to put out their attack on charters.
    Perhaps if you turn your book on its head, the NEA would bankroll you.

3. Well, my rec for housing in NYC is to look in Queens, though perhaps she doesn’t want to commute that far. Still, rent tends to be cheaper out here, though it may be more difficult to find shares. She should check out craigslist for rental share listings. On that kind of money, she probably can’t afford to live alone.

4. A lot of young college graduatess are supported by their parents for the move and the first couple of months in NYC. It’s par for the course.

5. Walter E. Wallis says:

I guess the YWCA is out of the question?

6. Jersey City is probably more realistic, or if she’s lucky maybe Hoboken. Probably the prices aren’t too different from Queens.

7. Oh, yeah, I forgot about New Jersey (because I would never live there)… Jersey City and Hoboken are rather convenient to Manhattan, and the rents are ok.

I don’t know what Washington Heights and Morningside Heights are like because they’re waaaaay up there, so perhaps they’re cheaper due to the “inconvenience” of being up there. I’m sure it”s cheaper than living near NYU.

8. Wash Heights/Morningside are cheaper, but not cheap. Brooklyn/Queens are still the better choices, but Jersey looks the most realistic. There’s a reason I didn’t move back to NY after graduating.

9. superdestroyer says:

I always wonder why more people do not write or talk about the inherest classism and racism in the “unpaid intern” racket that seems to have become dominate.

How many people can actually afford to work unpaid in very expensive cities such as NYC or DC and be supported by their parents. How many career paths are cut off to the children of blue collar parents because their parents cannot afford to carry 25 year old children while they work for free in Boston, LA, NYC, DC?

I also wonder how many politicians and think tanks that support “living wage” laws employ unpaid interns?

10. Anonymous says:

Look in Astoria, Queens. Cheap, safe and short ride into Manhattan.

11. Daniel Kravetz says:

To find the most affordable housing and student or entry-level employment in New York City and vicinity, pick up the VILLAGE VOICE (it’s free) and go over the classified ads for apartments and employment in detail. An apartment anywhere in the five boroughs that rents for under $1000 per month is a bargain, even if it’s no bigger than a college dorm room. The “best buys” are probably in Harlem, the Bronx and the Williamsburg and Bushwick sections of Brooklyn.

12. Walter E. Wallis says:

Unpaid interns? Out here it was dotcom startup employees paid with founder’s stock shares.

13. I also recommend Sunnyside Queens – it’s on the 7 line and very quick into the heart of Manhattan. You daugther could find a studio for under $1000/mo. and still be relatively safe.

As for a job, if she likes kids at all she might look into a part-time nanny or babysitter job. They pay better than a coffee slinging job and are more flexible. Check out the agencies or talk to bar waitresses – they usually know someone in the business.