Taste test

In a sex ed class designed to “destigmatize” condoms, a 15-year-old girl said she was urged to taste flavored condoms.

According to a report in the Santa Fe New Mexican (use this to register), parent Lisa Gallegos said that when her 15-year-old daughter balked at putting a condom in her mouth, instructor Tony Escudero told her, “Come on, sweetie, have a little fun.”

Also, Gallegos quotes her daughter as saying when a male student expressed his disgust with homosexual activity, Escudero said, “Never say never, because you never know. Someday you might like it that way.”

The mom says she favors sex education, but this is inappropriate. The New Mexico Education Department sided with the teacher, saying he merely told students they could taste the condoms if they wanted to and urged them to tolerate gays.

1. If this weren’t in the interests of progressive thought, wouldn’t liberals be up in arms over this being sexual harrassment?

2. Eeeeewwww! Gross! Eeeewww! Skeeve! How can this be for real? Inappropriate is an understatement! Whether or not a person approves of or likes flavored condoms, this situation is just… wrong.

3. Come on people: Quit trying to impress your neoconservative voodoo on the “enlightened” of the world….

4. Bill,

Exactly what do you mean by this comment? In some places, the teacher’s behavior would have been prosecuted, and rightly so. It’s one thing for a sex-ed class to do something like that with students who are of the legal age of consent. It’s another thing entirely for that to happen in a class that has fifteen-year-old kids (and maybe some younger) in it.

I personally do not think that this was appropriate for any age at any time in any school, but that’s my opinion. I generally don’t call people names for disagreeing.

5. holly, I think Bill was being sarcastic. (Hence his use of sarcastic quotes aroung the word ‘enlightened’.)

6. Mike in Texas says:

Hmm, this article sure puts the teacher in a bad light.

I wonder what “the rest of the story” is? I suspect the student misrepresented what happened in class and the parent automatically took the child’s word for it.

Surely a child would never not divulge the whole truth to a parent (WINK WINK)

7. Sorry I missed the sarcasm…it’s just I get called names like that all the time. I’m trying to get a master’s degree in English from a Division I school. I guess it’s made me a little oversensitive.

8. That’s OK, Holly. I think you’ll fit right in.

9. The Wine Commonsewer says:

One more argument for abolishing public schools.

10. D Anghelone says:

I’m trying to picture this teacher telling some guy to taste a condom back in my day in NYC. Not a pretty picture.

11. Michael says:

This liberal is appalled. Of course it’s sexual harrassment, if it happened as described.

12. Lou Gots says:

Could this be another incident of the homosexual proselytization that doesn’t exist. We need to become practical about this. We educate in the place of the parents. Most parents, not surprisingly, are of heterosexual orientation, and would prefer that their children follow that persuasion, in the interest of begetting grandchildren and avoiding loathsome and incurable disease.

If we think that it’s just peachy to go over the heads and behind the backs of parents in this regard, we need to be ready for a job search, because they are going to shut us down.

13. Never mind homosexual proselytising, that was a cool rejoinder to what I can imagine was a fairly unpleasant expression of ‘his disgust with homosexual behaviour.’

Waste of time having the lesson at all of course, but still.

14. Joe in NM says:

I love New Mexico, and I love homeschooling here, ha ha.

Try walking down the education headlines on this page,

and have a look at our top stories, too.

I’m going back to California … but wait, the same stuff happens in California schools, too. OK, how about Texas?

15. Joe in NM says:

Oops, I dropped a char in the link:

16. Tom, it may have been a cool rejoinder, but I can imagine it was an infuriating one. How likely was it that the kid any kind of positive response to it? I’m usually skeptical of the idea of homosexual proselytization, but this guy had an agenda, no question about it.

17. Cardinal Fang says:

So the kid says that a sexual act sounds all yucky and gross and and stuff and eew eew eew, and the adult says hey, you never know, you might like it someday. What’s wrong with that? It sounds exactly like what I’ve said to a couple of ten-year-old girls I know who expressed disgust at the idea of kissing a boy.

Come to think of it, it sounds exactly like what I’ve said to numerous kids who’ve expressed horror at numerous things that adults often come to like: baths, for example, or Chinese food.

The teacher undoubtedly teaches some kids who already know they’re gay or who will come to realize it. Maybe the kid he was answering was one of them, but even if not, it’s worthwhile to know that not everyone thinks gay sex is disgusting, and some kids who start out feeling that way later turn out to be gay. Why is stating that fact objectionable?

18. He would have been fine had he said that there might be some in the class who might like it some day. It would have opened up the possibility of discussing that some individuals present might be homosexual. To put that label on the student in particular was wrong and degrading of that kid.

19. Muphibious says:

Actually, a person is born gay and knows very early whether he will “like it.” If he doesn’t feel it at 15 or 16, he never will.

20. Walter E. Wallis says:

Locking in a lifestyle on the inexperience of a 16 year old?

21. Whether one agrees with sex education, gay sex, or the “homosexual agenda” is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that this teacher went far beyond what was necessary. Educating kids on the use of condoms is one thing; educating them on the flavors of condoms is something else entirely. I teach 15 year olds. If a teacher had said to one of the male students I’ve taught that he “might like it that way” someday, that teacher would have been giving a statement to the police from his hospital bed. And when he got out, the boy’s dad, brothers, and extended family would have given him a nice welcome home present. We all mess up and say things off the cuff that we shouldn’t, but if you’re going to say something like that, get some good insurance (medical and professional) and be prepared for some fallout.

22. Cardinal Fang says:

I see. You all believe that the teacher’s comment to the boy was wrong because the teacher was insinuating that the boy might be gay, and that is a terrible insult. That never occurred to me because I don’t believe that saying someone might be gay is a terrible insult, or any insult at all. More to the point, that 15-year-old boy who now thinks anal sexy is yucky might grow up to be a 23-year-old having anal sex with his boyfriend, but he’s more likely to grow up to be a 23-year-old having anal sex with his girlfriend, and in either case he needs to learn that he should use a condom.

23. jeff wright says:

Well, of course, the burning question is: how did the condom taste? Was it tasty? Chewy? Just exactly why we have flavored condoms is way beyond me—yeah, I’m getting to be an old dog—but, after all, if we have this sort of thing, then inquiring minds want to know.

If any teacher had said that to a 15-year-old boy when I was a kid, there might have been some serious dental work required. And if it had been a girl—who might not have reacted spontaneously and violently—her father might have had something to say about it. As the father of a girl, I know I would have a little perturbed and might even have done what I could to see how the teacher thought the condom tasted.

WRT to the homosexual stuff, well, the fact is we live in a society where the majority doesn’t raise their kids in the expectation that they might eventually pair off with a member of the same sex. This is a fact. What’s also a fact is that many of us understand that the world doesn’t always work that way. So I’ve long been a member of the crowd that has absolutely no problem with others doing whatever they want to do with their lives—without any interference or judgment from others. And I vote that way. However, I don’t think it’s appropriate for the schools to be talking about sexual preferences—no matter what they may be.

Just what is it about the schools? Why do they think they have license to do or say anything they want to kids? Bottom line is that all of this is really insulting and our kids deserve better from their schools. Like, maybe the 3Rs?

24. That’s it, Jeff.

Sex ed should cover how not to get pregnant and how not to get STD’s, and condoms are part of that, of course. But I’ve managed to get this information across to my daughter without asking her to bite a flavored condom or telling her she might enjoy homosexual sex or anal sex.

And it’s not just a matter of people in our society mostly wanting our kids to pair off with members of the opposite sex, although that’s certainly true. There are lots and lots of Americans who believe that homosexual sex is morally wrong. You don’t have to agree with them, and you don’t have to give them permission to believe that way. It’s their right to decide what they think on that issue and to want to pass their beliefs to their children. And it’s wrong for the public schools to take it upon themselves to teach the children differently, when there’s no need for it.

25. Jack Tanner says:

“Come on, sweetie, have a little fun.”

‘The mom says she favors sex education, but this is inappropriate.’

Was this guy Mr. Garrison on South Park? No wonder teachers are held in such high regard.

26. Jetstorm says:

“Just what is it about the schools? Why do they think they have license to do or say anything they want to kids?”

Not defending this at all, because it is wrong. But secular humanists and hedonists on a social engineering crusade to corrupt and destroy our youth, while a big part of the problem, is not totally to blame. The fact is, sex education programs would have never seen the light of day in most states and local districts had not a frighteningly large number of parents in this country completely abdicated their responsibility for teaching their children the facts of life about this very touchy subject.

My sex education was very simple. My parents explained the biology and mechanics of it in graphic detail, then told me sex before marriage was evil and if I ever did something like that, not only would I go to Hell, they would kill me and send me on my way there very quickly. So I was scared/grossed out into not doing it. Now, I understand that doesn’t work for every child, but this is one department where I am convinced that the problem would be solved if parents would simply take up the slack.

Parens patraie, New Mexicans. If you don’t raise your children, the government will do it for you.

27. Amen, Jetstorm! Except that, if everyone began teaching their children about sex and made sex ed unnecessary, how would we ever get rid of the program? I think the genie is out of the bottle.

28. jeff wright says:

Jetstorm, as a parent and sometime teacher, I am very well aware of the numbers of parents who’ve totally abdicated their responsibilities to their kids; I also know how this unfortunate reality has provided an opening for those who wish to “properly” indoctrinate the youngest members of our society.

However, is it appropriate for schools to do this? I don’t think so, but even if it is, we need to realize that, as with other non-academic subjects, sex ed eats up valuable classroom time. Further, assuming one concludes that the importance of sex ed outweighs all other considerations, the question then becomes one of how the subject is taught and, importantly, by whom.

I encountered sex ed a few years ago, while doing a long-term teaching job at a middle school that followed the practice of having the same kids with the same teacher for two consecutive periods in language arts and social studies. I essentially lost my sixth-graders for a week not long before one of those all-important test rounds. Believe me, those kids, mostly low income Latinos, couldn’t afford to lose that week of instruction.

Then there were the sex ed instructors. A couple of fresh-faced college students who did a lot of shucking and jiving and, IMO, didn’t do a very good job. They left and I had to endure the fallout for weeks: the jokes, the innuendos to the girls, the girls crying, the boys being disciplined. Oh, and leave us not forget the suggestive comments and off-color remarks directed to me—something I REALLY didn’t like. More fallout: another lever for wise-ass kids to use to undermine teacher authority.

Bottom line: it looks as if society—whoever that is—wants this. Although I strongly disapprove of such an expenditure of my tax dollars on a number of grounds (undermining of the family, academic issues, unqualified instructors, teacher vulnerability, etc.), it’s clear I’m in the minority. But, then, I’ve never subscribed to the substitute parent philosophy of the modern schools. And I seem to be in the minority there, too.

Glad I’m not teaching anymore.

29. “Bottom line: it looks as if society—whoever that is—wants this.”

I’m not so sure of that.

30. Questioneer says:

This thread is exactly why I don’t have kids. If some *&#^#%$ teacher tried to get my 15 year-old daughter to put a condom in her mouth, he and I would probably have more than words. The teacher may have enjoyed “gay sex” and having condoms in his mouth but that does not make it right for ANYBODY’S kids.

I live in the rural deep south and if that had happened here, the guy probably would have been run out of town on a rail, justifiably so, in my opinion.