Eat a bug for science

Thanks to the incomparable Natalie Solent for linking to a teachers’ resource page on Genuine Farm-Raised Bug Candy.

Educational Innovations is very proud to introduce our new line of incredible edibles. Keep reading! All of our insect candy and snacks are hand made with great care, using only completely edible, farm-raised insects . . .

Don’t want to hand out candy? For the most brave among your students try Larvets. These edible farm-raised larva are Bar-B-Que, Cheddar Cheese or Mexican Spice flavored. With only 9 calories per serving, these genuine farm-raised edible insects will be a real hit. Makes an unforgettable way to begin a food science or health unit.

Only 9 calories — and Atkins approved!

Natalie adds a link to a Victorian-era essay, Why Not Eat Insects?

1. Alex Bensky says:

And crunchy frog candy for dessert?

2. Ken Summers says:

When did Cal Worthington become a teacher?

3. interested observer says:

A pound of termites has more protein than a pound of steak – so said a university researcher a few years back.

This may be the future.

4. Baruch hashem. Kashrut rules. (Bugs icky!)

5. Mark Odell says:

Alex Bensky wrote: And crunchy frog candy for dessert?

No, no, no: the appropriate candy in this case is Cockroach Cluster. 🙂

6. Hakuna Matata…

My 2.5 year old daughter loves the Lion King candy bugs… (Think gummy bears shaped like bugs…) She asks for bugs all the time… I wonder how quickly that would change if we gave her a few of these…

7. Mad Scientist says:

Maybe Atkins approved, but definately not kosher.

8. Are you sure that wasn’t Natalie Soylent?

9. jeff wright says:

I guess none of you ever went through military survival training or spent much time in the third world. Insects, yuck, but you wouldn’t believe some of the stuff I ate in my youth, whilst working with locals in Vietnam and other garden spots.

10. One of my unexpected joys on my first business trip to Japan was an introduction by colleagues to insects-as-food. We had chocolate-covered ants and sugared grasshoppers. But my favorite was the candied honey bees – sweet and crunchy.

Sounds gross, untill you just close your eyes and eat one. Get over the gross-out factor, and you can eat – and enjoy – almost anything.

Next trip, either my hubby or I intend to bring some back for our daughter to sample. We’ll wait to tell her what they are AFTER, though.

(Anybody else ever enjoy watching bono flakes sprinkled onto noddle soup sway and dance in the steam? Makes your soup look like somthing’s alive and crawling around in it… Little boys think it’s really cool, and all it is is dried fish flakes.)