Soldiers denied diplomas

Two Ogden, Utah graduates were denied their high school diplomas because they took off their robes to walk across the stage in their Army uniforms. Layton High School requires students to wear only the blue graduation robes, apparently to prevent Tongan and Samoan students from wearing leis. (Why is it so terrible to wear a lei? Who knows?) LeRoy Hunt and Josh Harmon are National Guard soldiers. Bob Lonsberry tells the story.

At their graduation last week, underneath their robes, (Hunt and Harmon) wore their Army uniforms. And then, as they handed their name card to be read and walked across the stage to take their diplomas, they each in their turn removed the gown and showed the uniform.

How did the crowd react?

With thunderous applause.

How did the administration react?

By withholding the diplomas. They will be assigned community service by the administration, and then maybe they will be given their diplomas and be officially certified as graduates.

I hope service in the National Guard counts as “service” with the administration.

I have some sympathy for administrators who are trying to control behavior in students who are within seconds of not being students. If the students had removed their robes to moon the audience, it would make sense to withhold the diplomas as a warning to future graduates. But Army uniforms? And leis? This is not disrespectful to classmates or to the school.

1. Mike Roemer says:

Another ZERO tolerance, ZERO comman sense “administrator”. Is it just the reporting or does there seem to be an awful lot of knee jerk folks in the education sector? At least in the decision making positions.

2. Mad Scientist says:

These students should just tell the administration where they can stick their damn diplomas.

After diong the service all tehy can count on is “..and then maybe they will be given their diplomas”?

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. But absolute power mixed with stupidity is only to be mocked and ridiculed.

3. What’s the harm in substituting one uniform for another? I saw a high school graduation where a bodybuilding student took off his gown to reveal a Speedo-clad pose-down. That was worthy of a stern reprimand, but this nonsense of withholding a diploma is just that: nonsense.

On the other hand, discipline is important. So is common sense. I can’t see why the students should act formal and dignified in an overpriced outfit that comes in a baggie.

4. Tim from Texas says:

I taught five years at the one high-school in an old-money community surrounded by a large city. I say old-money community because the majority of citzens therein,were the decendents of very old-money, and the community stayed that way because the descendents kept returning there to set up house and send their children to school. Needless to say the parents were affluent and powerful to a degree, or for one reason or another. The remainder of the community consisted of upper-middle-class, middle-class, lower-middle-class,and of course, some poor families.

I experienced, a very scary, but exciting situation my first year there, which is relative, I think, to this article and the Fools article.

I was assigned at my first graduation to the duty of collecting the robes from the graduates as they came off stage. At that school the graduates left the stage with their diplomas and didn’t return to sit again in the auditorium, for the majority of parents were already somewhat tipsy and beyond because they had already attended pre-ceremony parties and were anxious to attend the post-ceremony parties. Teachers were invited to these gatherings as well, which is one of the advantages of teaching in such a community.

At any rate, there was a beginning teacher, a young woman, assigned the same duty across the corridor. There was no other supervision of any kind within sight or earshot. So, all was proceeding “according to hoyle” for a while until the next 12 girls, who had all agreed on their “villany”. Each one, took off her robe and each one was stark naked, handed over the robe and continued on the way, slowly I might add, to where their party dresses were located somewhere around the corner. Now, the young teacher could only think of stopping the “entire proceedings” and reporting it right then. Lucky for her then and later, when the graduation had ended, I was able to convince her to do nothing then or in the future about it other than to have a good laugh.
    I had explained to her that in no form or fashion would the administrators, parents, much less the parents of the girls,be a least bit concerned. All in all, the evening was quite enjoyable for not only were the girls quite beautiful, but I had done my homework into getting to know where I was teaching.

Students, teachers, administrators,parents and all need to know where they are and with whom they are dealing. It is obvious to me these young men didn’t and if they did, the reaction should have been expected.

5. Bruce H. says:

How many Layton school board members do you suppose are up for re-election this fall? And I wonder if the Utah legislature would be receptive to a bill requiring public schools to allow uniforms at graduation.

6. What a horrific abuse of power. Certainly some reprimand should have been made but withholding diplomas goes well beyond any reasonable response.

7. Oggie Ben Doggie says:

In New Mexico, it’s common for Native Americans to wear moccassins & other native dress under the graduation robes. Nobody makes a fuss.

8. Chris Haynes says:

I joined the Navy at 17 and would have loved to return in uniform to attend a ceremony. Those young men should have been able to stand proudly in their uniforms and receive their diplomas. The formal dress uniform of the American Armed Services is appropriate anywhere, anytime and anyplace (except combat, but we have a uniform for that too.)

9. Walter E. Wallis says:

I proudly wore my uniform to my graduation and would not have attended were it not acceptable.
    Sue the Feather Merchant bastards.

10. jeff wright says:

So sad. And so stupid. I’ll bet the petty bureaucrats involved will be changing jobs soon. They won’t be fired, of course, because no one is ever fired from the schools.

What is about the schools that attracts such people?

11. Roy W. Wright says:

I, for one, support the actions of the administration here (for once).

12. Tim from Texas says:

I agree with the administration here also. It seems, that the procedure and the attire, that is the blue robe, had been made clear and had been understood by all. High-school graduation ceremonies are considered formal events, and being such, formal and traditional procedures are understood to be followed by all. Procedures at formal events, or at any event, can be altered of course, but not at the last minute, and certainly not on stage. I suppose, a graduation ceremony could have casual attire, each graduate wearing casual clothes of hiser choice, and I suppose a graduation ceremony could have the male graduates wearing county-jail-style shirts and county-jail-style trousers barely hanging on to the deriere,and the female graduates could all wear tops which emphasize cleavage and the navel, and hip-hugger-style pants which unabashedly show off their g-string style panties. This is all possible if agreed upon prior to the ceremony. However, I don’t think it would happen. Maybe parents would allow it, but I don’t think the graduates would.

As to the audience at this graduation, I think they clapped in a knee-jerk sort of reaction, for we do have soldiers at war, and young men in military uniform is a handsome sight, and it conjures up emotions in everyone.

Now as to the young-men-soldier-graduates, what they did is quite puzzling, taking into account, they have chosen to go into the most traditional, regimented,and in some aspects, the most formal of professions that exists. I don’t think, when they arrive at their duty assignments, they would decide to change the agreed upon and traditional attire. But alas, maybe they would, like uh, maybe, bell bottom their trousers, man.

Exuberance expressed and demonstrated by anyone at the proper time is a joyous event. I suppose sometimes, as at this event, exuberance took command, nevertheless, it was the wrong time.

13. Walter E. Wallis says:

The Class A army uniform is correct in every formal occasion.

14. i hope to never attend another graduation ceremony. The reaction here seems so alwful, but the students’ actions were out of place and out of order for what was once the solemn ceremony marking our advancement into the adult world. While the reaction to the uniform seems extreme, did the boys ask permission before? I KNOW they were told not to dress in certain ways, and how to dress for the ceremony.
    I have been to many graduations where parents and others attend dressed like another day at the beach, shout and hoot like at a football game, and generally just ruin the event. And this year at my daughter’s as the students were marching out at the end of the ceremony, they couldn’t get out the door as the audience decided it was time to leave! I must say the students behavior was wonderful, the adults in the auditorium wasn’t!
    What happened to dressing “up” for the occasion and good manners?
    Anyway, back to the so-called problem, the boys could have had their name, rank and unit stated when they received their diploma. Many schools go over how the students names are to be read.

15. OK. Let’s concede that the school has gone overboard. The punishment is probably not one that fits the crime in this instance.

Or is it?

Suppose that instead of a uniform they had stripped off the gown and been wearing anti-war shirts. Would the punishment had been appropriate then? What if they were a couple of kids wearing fire-engine red silk pimp suits with lots of “bling-bling”? Would we all be sitting here condemning the school for putting a hold on the diploma?

You have to remember, these kids were told in advance what the “uniform of the day” was for graduation. They were told what expected conduct was. The school has a right to maintain decorum during the ceremony and to enforce a dress code — and maintains the right to discipline the students for behavior that occurs during that ceremony. Our graduates are even reminded that the graduation all rules apply until the end of the ceremony and that release of their diplomas (two days after the ceremony) is contingent upon their taking care of all outstanding academic, disciplinary, and financial obligations.

16. speedwell says:

Walter Wallis is correct. (ducks lightning)

No, seriously. In the day when people knew what to do with formal clothing, it would have occurred to exactly nobody to criticize a young man for wearing his formal uniform to the graduation ceremony (or any other ceremony for that matter, from weddings to funerals). In fact, I think I can say confidently that he would have been expected to wear his formal uniform on all formal occasions.

17. speedwell says:

Hey TexasTeacher, what bug crawled up you? Are you fron Katy ISD or something? In what way does a young soldier wearing his formal uniform to a formal event violate decorum?

18. I think that if they had just decided to wear their uniforms to graduate with no robes at all, the school should have honored their wishes. Miltary dress uniforms supercede all other attire for social occasions. I think a military uniform is tiny bit different than anit-war t-shirts and red silk pimp suits. There are social occasions where these would be out of place and unacceptable but not so for military dress.

19. Richard Heddleson says:

It makes as much sense to wear a military uniform to an academic graduation as to wear an academic gown to the graduation ceremony at the end of basic training. The purpose of these events is to mark the candidates as having successfully mastered the skills and knowledge taught and to welcome into the community of those who did so before them.

No community expects total alliegence, at least in the U. S. But to wear colors other than those of the group into which one is being accepted is to express contempt for that group. The administrators are correct.

20. No, I live on the other side of town, and teach there, too.

We honor our enlistees at graduation.

But as I said — uniform of the day had been set, and it was not their place to override that decision.

21. nobody important says:

The idea that the rousing applause was “knee-jerk” doesn’t make sense. The audience knew these kids, more than likely knew they were in the service, and decided to show their support and appreciation. Sheesh. Not everyone is a liberal.

22. When I graduated from college in 2002, I didn’t BOTHER to attend my graduation ceremony, I just picked up my diploma at the school. No fanfare, no malarky, etc.

While attending ones graduation might be important to some people (and perhaps their parents), I hardly saw the need to waste what would probably amount to at least a day doing things which in some cases seemed silly, when I could be out doing things like making $$$$ 🙂

23. The 2 soldiers were correct. The audience response was correct. The administration response showed no sense of judgement or balance.

If you attempt to disrupt a solemn occasion by some action or attire that is less solemn than called for then I could understand a reprimand.

The 2 soldiers were obviously very proud of their uniforms and wanted to show their pride and patriotism to the crowd.

Now it is for the administration to figure out a way to back down from their position without making themselves look like bigger idiots than they have already.

24. Silicon Valley Jim says:

I suspect that what is going on here, as in so many other zero-tolerance cases, is a fear of lawsuits alleging equal protection violations. The easiest way around that is to set a no-exceptions policy. It doesn’t make sense, but it avoids controversy of the “he can wear his uniform rather than a robe, why can’t I wear . . .” sort.

In other words, the courts may be as responsible for this as any school administrators.

When I took my MBA from Stanford in 1975, the vast majority of us dressed in business suits (the term to be understood here as including the female equivalent), but there were military uniforms in evidence, and many students from foreign countries wore the formal clothing used in their countries. It was very nice. Of course, Stanford is a private university.

25. Let them wear graduation caps and gowns to a military function and see what happens. There’s a time and a place.

Daryl Cobranchi links to another article about this subject:

Apparently the principal is a former Marine, and the vice principal is a Gulf War vet. They probably do not, as Joanne’s link suggests, need to be reminded what country they live in.

26. A dress code is a dress code, and no one understands that more than a soldier. I agree that the the boys should have been reprimanded for violating the dress code, but have their diplomas withheld? That’s overboard.

If the boys had stripped of their gown and sported anti-war, anti-Bush T-shirt, do you think the school would have withheld their diplomas? I think not, the Liberals would cry “Freedom of Speech!”.

It sickens me that the Left would be able to get away with expressing their anti-war views, but when other people want to express pride in their service, they get punished to the maximum degree. Double standard indeed!

27. I read the article Laura posted the link for. To give two members of the U.S. Army “unsatisfactory” citizenship grades is kind of silly. Of course, I think that would be silly even if the two young men weren’t in the military. Does one trip across a stage negate the “citizenship” you’ve shown through four years of high school? By the way, what exactly constitues “citizenship?” At my school, that category is always ignored on grade reports.

28. Tim from Texas says:

Dear Nobody Important:

The use of the term “knee jerk” in my post, I agree, was probably not the best expression to use. It could be that expression damaged in some way, or somewhat, the point I was attempting to express. I will certainly try to choose more wisely the expressions I use from now on, for wisely selected expressions are important.

Now as to labelling me a liberal, I have this to ask: Please, explain why you feel labelling is important, and if so, how did you come to the conclusion that I’m a “liberal” and not a “conservative” or maybe not, a “something-in-between”? Or is it, perhaps nit-picking and labeling is your only forte on the subject being discussed here?

29. Walter E. Wallis says:

Anyone who cannot differentiate between a Class A military uniform and an anti-war T-shirt is invited to call upon that T-shirt wearer to defend his freedom. Have a care, though because when those anti-war activists get power they crush opposition viewpoints like a grape.

30. But the amount of freedom allowed at a graduation should be shared equally. If you’re going to allow the soldiers to disrobe and turn the focus of the graduation onto themselves, then a student anti-war protester should be permitted the same liberty as well. If it’s allowed for one, it should be allowed for all.

31. Walter E. Wallis says:

No, Bill, it shouldn’t. Real people have real standards. An education that doesn’t teach that is a fraud.

32. I’ll be honest with you — the more I think about it, the more I think the school handled it almost exactly right. They set a reasonable rule with clear expectations, and enforced it when it was violated — and with a penalty that makes sense and “fits the crime.”

A fine of $5.00. Pretty nominal, if you ask me.

Four hours community service. Not an outrageous period — pretty much equal to the Saturday detentions my school runs.

A lowered citizenship grade. Maybe a bit over the top, but not something that gets reported to colleges, if their transcripts are like most others I have seen.

Frankly, these boys (and I intentionally label them as boys, for their decision was that of spoiled children) need another round of boot camp, if you ask me. The lessons of basic training obviously didn’t stick, or else they wouldn’t have takenit upon themselves to decide which orders to follow from their superiors, and to satisfy their own ego instead. That sort of attitude gets men killed in combat — all too often someone other than the guilty party.

33. Walter E. Wallis says:

Texas Teacher – I’ve been in combat. Have you?
    Unit pride and cohesion keeps you alive in combat. And a failure to specifically allow Class A uniforms was an administration failure. I don’t mind you calling them boys, but JJ won’t let me mention what I call you. Feather Merchant will have to do.

34. Sadly, I didn’t get to serve — the driver of an armor plated security van took that option away from me when he totalled out the car in which I was a passenger a few nights before my scheduled Navy induction physical. Even with extensive rehabilitation, I could never meet DoD’s expectations.

But I grew up on military bases, the son of a career officer. Much of that was spent at Great Lakes Naval Training Center, where my father was XO of first of Recruit Training Command and the Service School Command. So I have some conception of military protocol — and I believe these young men breached it.

I guess I’ll stand with my high school principal, Father Gregory Klein, O.Carm., who 23 years ago reminded my class that it is the school’s graduation, held to honor the graduates and their accomplishments. Any graduate who doesn’t like the arrangements or rules is more than welcome to stay home, and to hold the celebration of his choice.

And Walter, I am sorry you are such a small man that you have to engage in implicit obscene name-calling that you engaged in. We civilians (since that is all the term you finally use means) outrank each and every member of the military for we hold the rank of citizen, and the military works for us (just as I, as a teacher, ultimately work for the taxpayers of my district).

35. Walter E. Wallis says:

Sorry, Tex. Feather Merchant specifically refers to civilians who deal sharply with the military, usually to the disadvantage of the military. It is not obscene by any definition I can imagine although it is not flattering, any more than your description of the young men subject of this article was.

As for civilians outranking each and every member of the military, that is a whopper even for a Texan. Of course, perhaps Navy officers take a different oath. I sure know that Jimmy Carter did not have a clue, and he still does not.

36. Anonymous says:

And I quote:
    “but JJ won’t let me mention what I call you.”
    Hence my comment about your implied obscene name-calling. You are, of course, probably not man enough to own up to your own words, any more than the two self-centered boys were willing to take responsibility for their inappropriate actions. I wonder if the one plans on taking his Mommy along with him to speak on his behalf, as she does in this article.

You might be surprised to find out that I’m open to being perssuaded that the uniform SHOULD have been authorized (I’ve mixed thoughts on that now), but the fact remains that it was not. The fact remains that the boys asked no permission despite knowing the rules, and were tehrefore granted none. The fact remains that they decided that they, not the school administration, would decide what was appropriate dress for graduation. It was WILLFUL disobedience that led to their actions, not ignorance of the guidelines. If they were men, they would accept their slap-on-the-wrist punishment.

I do not deal sharply with the military. I deal sharply with inappropriate behavior. As such, I am a contact for Navy and Marine recruiters on my campus. I could tell you about weeping tears of joy (and more than a little bit of envy, given how my dream of following in my father’s footsteps waas cut off) when former come back to my room, in uniform, after boot camp.

And yes, I did engage in a bit of intentional hyperbole there, but it was in service of a point. Our system of government places civilians above the military. It is the place of the military to subordinate itself to that civilian authority. We are one of the few nations in which that situation exists, and have therefore successfully maintained our constitutional form of government and our divinely granted liberties without suffering under military rule. Attitudes like yours, which subordinate the decisions of civilian authorities and denigrate the opinions of those who have not served, are a threat to that reality and border on unAmerican.

37. Walter E. Wallis says:

The operative word is “authority”. You implied that any civilian had authority over any military or it was Unamerican. Don’t ever try that crap on a sentry.
    You are correct that I implied obscenity, but a miss is as good as a mile.
    You who did not serve postulated a combat consequence that I, based on my front line combat infantry experience, took issue with. I will comment no further on your Dad’s qualifications than to suggest that he raised you, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Now, sunny, you can either go quietly or you can burn up JJ’s bandwidth. Go ahead, make my day.

38. And who, exactly, were the civilian authorities in charge of the graduation? That would be the folks who set the dress requirements for graduation. And no, I did not imply any civilian had any authority over any military — what I said (I believe clearly) was that being in the military does not allow one to override the authority of civilians.

As for my statement about combat situations, it is one handed on to me by my father, by a neighbor (a Naval Aviator) who did seven years in a Vietnamese POW camp, and by the Marine colonel across the street who had a purple heart and a silver star.

I’ll ignore your bullying and baiting about my father. It shows what kind of small little man you are — in additin to your not-so-closeted authoritarianism.

39. Walter E. Wallis says:

Hey, Tex, you brought your Dad into this to belittle me. Put the Jarhead on and I will discuss combat with him, but not with someone whose experience comes across the street. Your opinions seem to have more than a little disdain for enlisted men, a common trait in officer’s brats. I love military aviators, especially the close air support type, but I promise not to tell them how to drive their airplane if they avoid telling me how to drive my bayonet.

40. Belittle you? How is explaining my background and the source of my knowledge belittling to you? Are you really that threatened that someone else might actually know something and be willing to explain the source of his knowledge? Good grief, man! I even admit to being open to conversion on one point, putting out an olive branch, but you still insist on attacking both me and my family.

And as for disdaining enlisted men, you apparently missed the little bit about my enlistment plans. I was going as an E-1 to RTC San Diego, with no plans to go theofficer route. My goal was to be an enlisted man, and not to seek admission to OCS at a future date. The buddy whose car i was in that night was my best friend, the son of a Senior Chief who was like a second father to me during my teen years. No sir, you read me exactly wrong.

41. nobody important says:

Mighty testy there, Tim. While nit-picking and labeling aren’t exactly my forte, I suppose I am pretty good at them from time to time. Using knee-jerk to describe the audience’s reaction lead me to believe you disapproved of the thunderous applause. Since you’re obviously sensitive and intelligent, you can draw your own conclusion.

42. I don’t get why they don’t let people wear leis.

43. One more question. Have the school administrators ever denied a diploma to a polynesian who wore a lei to graduation?

44. Tim from Texas says:

Nobody Important:

I was not mighty testy, nor somewhat testy then,–somewhat terse, yes, for in the post itself, I had somewhat disclaimed the expression “knee-jerk” with “sort of” and had attempted subsequent clarification, because I felt the expression wasn’t quite correct for what I was attempting to convey. Alas, I should have sought other expressions and/or should have approached that segment of thought differently. Moreover, I had said as much in my first reply to you.

Furthermore, from the words and expressions I did use, I don’t think it can be infered, nor could it lead anyone to believe, that I disapproved of the thunderous applause.

Now, I am perplexed, for the very reason that you have not deemed it worthy to answer the questions, I asked, completely. Moreover, I am more perplexed, for again, you have found it necessary to label me.

Next, I did express my thoughts on the subject, so a conclusion about them could be drawn. To me that’s the point.

So, what conclusion am I to draw from what you have said? So far you have just nik-picked and labelled.

45. Mark Odell says:

Bill stole my thunder.

The simple solution to this problem of government-school adminstrators being clueless idiots–but I repeat myself–is, just don’t attend the graduation ceremonies. You’ll still get your diploma, and you don’t have to deal with the policies of brainless educrats–but I repeat myself again.

Simply withhold your participation, and watch their control systems collapse of their own futility.

Walter E. Wallis wrote: Anyone who cannot differentiate between a Class A military uniform and an anti-war T-shirt is invited to call upon that T-shirt wearer to defend his freedom.

Given what that Class A military uniform wearer has, in the past and in the present, been called upon to do; in the event, the anti-war T-shirt wearer might actually do a superior job of defending my freedom, in the sense that he may, on balance, do fewer things unrelated to the stated mission (not that I’d care to depend on either one of them for it).

By “those anti-war activists” I take it you mean specifically of the Commie-lib persuasion. There are others.

TexasTeacher wrote: The lessons of basic training obviously didn’t stick, or else they wouldn’t have takenit upon themselves to decide which orders to follow from their superiors,

Unless I’m missing something, it would seem that, in your world, “the lessons of basic training” lead via that justly-famed “slippery slope” to things like Abu Ghraib. What is there to stop them? (And are you really sure you want them not to decide which orders to follow?)

It should scarcely be necessary to point out that they weren’t “in combat”.

Then by the same reasoning, we civilians outrank each and every member of the government-school administration for we hold the rank of citizen, and they (ought to) work for us.

(just as I, as a teacher, ultimately work for the taxpayers of my district).

No, you as a teacher ultimately work for the political power-holders of (and beyond) your district, not the taxpayers, who are regarded by said power-holders merely as “cash cows”/sheep to be shorn, with no say in the matter nor need of any (even though much lip-service is paid to the concept of “say”, except when it thwarts the self-interest of power-holders [see: Proposition 13 in California]).

Seconded, with enthusiasm.

If they were men, they would accept their slap-on-the-wrist punishment.

If they were men of integrity, they certainly would not accept any punishment they knew to be unjust.

Walter E. Wallis wrote: You implied that any civilian had authority over any military or it was Unamerican. Don’t ever try that crap on a sentry.

The legitimacy of authority has nothing to do with power, and vice versa (see: USG).

46. nobody important says:

You asked two questions, I answered both. You asked if nit-picking and labelling were my forte, I answered that they were not. You also asked why I implied that you were a liberal, and I gave my reasoning. You said you might not have used “knee-jerk” if you had givien it more thought. I reacted to the word “knee-jerk” and suggested that not everyone is a liberal. You assumed I included you in that description (which I did). So, it seems like an honest misunderstanding to me.

47. Obviously, this all started with the leis. Sauce for the goose and gander and National Guard soldiers who have some sort of problem with clearly defined rules.

48. Walter E. Wallis says:

Lord love a duck.
    Both the power and the legitimacy of sentries are in accordance with the constitution and the laws of the United States.

49. This is a horrible display of why high school really is a joke. We are trying to teach diversity to the younger generations by denying them the privilege of showing thier own heritage in the action of wearing leis at graduation. That makes perfect sense to me. The next thought is our nation is at war…. so why not allow students to take pride in the services they are giving to keep our lovely butts out of trouble. This is an outrage and i can not believe the administration was allowed to do this.