Happy day

Today my daughter Allison is graduating with a BA in American Studies (minor in Creative Writing) from Stanford University. I’m proud and happy and already tired from pre-commencement celebration. So don’t expect a lot of blogging.

1. Congratulations Allison!

2. D Anghelone says:

…BA in American Studies (minor in Creative Writing)…

A budding Tom Wolfe.

…don’t expect a lot of blogging.

But a certain amount of repetition.

3. Ah, no feeling in the world like writing that last tuition check.

4. Joe in NM says:

Joanne, congratulations to Alison, and to you for providing this wonderful blog.

5. Walter E. Wallis says:

I wish you and Allison well. Who gets to tell her “Now get a job!”?

6. Ross (the heartless conservative) says:

Congratulations to Joanne, that should help the family budget! Not to mention the fact that I am sure she is terribly broad of her daughter.

7. Quick, sign up for grad school!!! it’s tough out here

8. Congrats Joanne! I pray blessings on you and your daughter. Take a well-deserved break. I have so enjoyed your blog!

9. Well done! I hope she turns out like her mother!

10. Congratulations!

11. Tim from Texas says:

Wonderful day for you! Great day for your daughter! Congratulations!

Excellent blog-site. Hey, we’re all winners today.

Here’s to good timing/fortune in the future for you as well!

12. Congratulations to Allison! And to Joanne! It must be a very proud day for both of you. For Allison, now comes the hard part.

13. Allison, what a wonderful accomplishment! Wishing you the best in your life.

Congratulations to you both!

14. Just want to echo the sentiment … Congratulations to both Mother & Daughter!!!

15. congrats!

16. Mad Scientist says:

Props to you both!

And to think, it wasn’t a tissue of lies based on slavery.

17. Congratulations! What will she do next?

18. Rita C. says:

Congrats! What’s American Studies?

19. Smart ass.

20. Congratulations to both! Out from “under the cruel eye outworn”. On to something worse.

21. Congratulations!

22. Wonderful news, Joanne. Congratulations to the young scholar!

23. walter kehowski says:

American Studies! Gawd! That’s second only to Women’s Studies in schizo-Marxism! Can you actually do ‘creative’ writing with a degree in Schizo-Marxism? From Stanford? Well, at least that isn’t Amherst! She sure hasn’t been reading Mommy’s blog, now has she? Here’s something you might need:

It might already be too late though. Sigh.

24. Congratulations! Oh, and to your daughter, too.

As for American Studies, any field that includes Tom Wolfe among its graduates can’t be all bad.

25. Steve LaBonne says:

26. Congratulations!

27. superdestroyer says:

You may want to look at the article in the Washington Post about the difference in graduations from elite, liberal arts colleges versus the local community college.

One of the more interesting posts is the difference between majors at liberal arts colleges and open admissions schools.

28. Congratulations! All the best to you both.

29. John from OK says:

She’s a chip off the young block! Congratulations.

30. Congratulations… to you both!

31. In answer to the question about American Studies: The major varies quite a bit, depending on the university. At some places, it’s a grab bag of ethnic studies classes. At Stanford, the major requires history and lit classes with electives in political science, sociology, econ, etc. It was a perfect fit for Allison’s interests. In general, it’s a good pre-law or pre-journalism major.

As for what she’ll do next: Good question. She’s a very good writer, editor, analyst and problem-solver, she has great people skills and she’s a terrific person. (I’m not the only one who thinks so.) So far, she’s applied for writing/editing, research, fund-raising and marketing jobs at publishing houses, magazines, non-profits, law firms and high-tech companies. Close but no cigar. But she just graduated yesterday. (E-mail me at joanne -at – joannejacobs.com with those job leads.)

Long term, she wants to become a public interest lawyer and save the world. I suggested the save the world part. I’ve been trying for years, and I could use some help.

32. Walter E. Wallis says:

Save the world first, then avoid the embarassment of a poverty stricken parent by setting Mommy up in a Marina Condo and a Tahoe chalet. Walking distance from Casinos.

33. Mazel Tov!

34. Congrats to your daughter! We shared the same colleg graduation day!

35. Mad Scientist says:

I regret that I was taken in by another individual in the Reagan thread. It brought out my worst side. I will strive to not let it happen again.

36. JimInNOVA says:

Congratulations! As every successful Stanford grad is another jab at Harvard, I wish you well in your world-conquering endevors.