Your least favorite PE class

Adult dodgeball? I’ve always thought one of the benefits of adulthood is not having to play dodgeball.

1. Personally, I always loved dodgeball . . .

2. LibraryGryffon says:

As long as it’s voluntary, it actually sounds rather fun. The only problem I had with dodgeball and kickball as a kid was with the social dynamics. I was the youngest and smallest in my class, very near sighted without my glasses, and had (still have) rather poor eye/hand coordination. So I was always the last one chosen.

Now if only I didn’t still wear glasses and have bad knees…. 8)

3. Roy W. Wright says:

Dodgeball was always my favorite in elementary school.

4. Bob Diethrich says:

Kudos to dodgeball, as a very small, underweight seventh grader it got me some respect in Gym class. Once, when I was the last man standing and one of the football players hurled one of those screaming scarlett orbs at me, I was able to get my hands around it, knock him out of the game, and receive the tumultuous congratulations as my team streamed back to the floor.

Later I was in a situation similiar and I barely missed a catch attempt. As I walked off the court, one of the really cool kids shook my hand and said, “Nice try my man!”

BTW: As the really underweight kid I was always picked second to last, just ahead of the really fat kid!

5. In my suburban Minneapolis elementary school, our PE coach guy (not sure of the exact title) Mr. Harmon introduced something he called “murder dodge ball” which had an awful name that wouldn’t pass muster today, but was a delightful game that had us running for an hour. Instead of teams, it was everyone against everyone else. Many Nerf balls were introduced into the gym, and anyone hit had to sit. To get up again, you had to hit someone. There was rarely a winner, but no one seemed to mind because it was a dog eat dog game of harmless sneakery and lawlessness.

Ahhhh, those were the days. Then I moved to Arizona and was shocked to discover that not every elementary school had a gym. No more floor hockey, and dodge ball became a team sport. Oh well, at least I had good weather.

6. also a passion for dodgeball: running, tactics, hits and misses even if never in the first round of being chosen… more sadly, found that my son’s school has dismissed it as too rough

7. Skinny guys were the next to the last picked??? Dodgeball was the only sport where I wasn’t last picked – being able to turn sideways and disappear was a considerable advantage.

8. I loved dodgeball, kickball and soccer. You got to run, and a basic skill level allowed you to join the game. Basketball, on the other hand, I found mind-numbingly boring. I just couldn’t get the hang of dribbling. We never played basketball games, which would have made it more interesting. We spent whole gym periods practicing dribbling and free throws.

9. John from OK says:

I’m with Bob. Dodgeball was the only game where I was ever complimented on my play. It was a good game for a brave but uncoordinated and skinny nerd.

My friends all play basketball at the local YMCA, a game which I am just too embarrased to play. Perhaps now I can start up a dodgeball league.

10. Rod McFadden says:

There aren’t many areas where I disagree with you, but this is one!
    One of the disadvantages of adulthood is not GETTING to play dodgeball!

11. There’s a movie coming out starring Ben Stiller called “Dodgeball!” about a professional dodgeball competition. hehe

I love dodgeball. Do you think we could get this in the Olympics?

12. I am stunned. I always hated dodgeball. I never knew anyone liked it.

13. Jack Tanner says:

If there was a Hall of Fame for dodgeball I’d be in it.

14. I’ll throw in another vote of a skinny, uncoordinated kid who loved dodgeball. Bob’s got it right – you could get hit out a hundred times but if you caught just one shot from a jock, it would be remembered. Not to mention that if you didn’t feel energized that day, it was trivial to sit out most of the hour – just “miss” a catch right off the start. Our coach solved the social dynamic problem by having us line up and then walking the line saying “left – right – left – right …” for the sides.

Maybe it’s a gender difference – I’ve never met a non-athletic girl who liked dodgeball and few athletic ones. Or maybe it’s having brothers – while a hit would sting, it was nothing compared to what brothers would do to you.