He’s not joking

The audience laughed and black leaders frowned when Bill Cosby mocked underclass blacks at a D.C. event commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education decision. From the Washington Post:

“Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal,” he declared. “These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids — $500 sneakers for what? And won’t spend $200 for ‘Hooked on Phonics.’ . . .

“They’re standing on the corner and they can’t speak English,” he exclaimed. “I can’t even talk the way these people talk: ‘Why you ain’t,’ ‘Where you is’ . . . And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. . . . Everybody knows it’s important to speak English except these knuckleheads. . . . You can’t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!”

The Post’s Hamil Harris reports that Cosby also turned his wrath to “the incarcerated,” saying: “These are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, [saying] ‘The cops shouldn’t have shot him.’ What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?”

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.

This story has more:

Comedian Bill Cosby wants black Americans to follow the example of civil rights leaders in improving their neighbourhoods and reaching out for higher education.

“These people marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education and now we’ve got these knuckleheads walking around,” he said Monday evening at an NAACP gala commemorating the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education decision 50 years earlier.

“Take the neighbourhood back,” Cosby said, chiding parents who do not take an active role in caring for their children.

. . . In one of the lighter moments, comedian Dick Gregory pretended to run off with the medal he presented to Cosby.

Cosby and his wife were honored for their donations to historically black colleges.

1. Outstanding. Bill Cosby was funny back when he was doing edgier work, and it’s good to see him return to comedy with a message. I’m grateful for his willingness to tell it like it is.

2. JimInNOVA says:

See what you get for inviting a Temple grad to do your commencement? =) They need to find someone with lower standards next time.

3. Bill Cosby got angry! Wow, maybe he’ll become funny again now that he has something to talk about.

I used to love his stuff, but then he turned into a respected gentleman and a speaker for hire. And borrrrring. I’m glad he’s angry. He should have said these things after his son was shot by a lowlife (a Russian immigrant, if I recall correctly). Then again, I can’t complain about how respectfully you handled what had to be the hardest thing you ever endured. But thanks for (re-)picking up your son’s desire to educate. Go, Bill! Kick some ass and help some people and make me laugh in the process.

And don’t let anyone tell you that Mush Mouth was the originator of Ebonics.

4. Sorry for putting “you” instead of “he” in my post. I’ve wanted to say those things to him for a long time, but of course wasn’t doing so in this forum.

5. I heard a speech by Henry Louis Gates on the radio a couple of months ago saying basically the same thing. It’s nice to see that the message may start to be imprtant enough for people to talk about it.

6. Fuzzy Rider says:

Lots of folks have been thinking this for a long time, but have been prohibited from speaking by the “crypto-fascist” politically correct crowd. How can we ever solve a problem if we are not even allowed to talk about it without being vilified?

Maybe there is hope that “PC” will finally be buried in the deep pit in which it belongs!

7. I think the power of feeling important and getting to stay at posh hotels each graduation season affected Bill more than PC crypto-fascism ever did. But eventually there was no more wallspace for honorary degrees, so common sense prevailed.

8. Bob Diethrich says:

Henry Louis Gates of Harvard said the same thing? Amazing. Isn’t this the Gates who seems to be all about “blamaing whitey” and is one of the loudest voices for paying slavery reperations?

Actually a must read is John McWhorter’s “Losing the Race; self sabatoge in black America”

9. Mad Scientist says:

Amazing. If a “whitey” said the smae things, he’d be lynched (irony intended).

10. Besides Cosby, I’m beginning to see some signs of courageous honesty in the press, such as:

Before we can fix the problem, we have to identify the problem. It looks like we’re making progress.

11. Cosby is far more conservative than he’s publically credited for. Many black stars are, but they’re nervous about sharing these views in public.

12. Roy W. Wright says:

Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African American…

Well, that may be true, considering that most people aren’t African American.

13. But I don’t think that’s true. I think I remember reading that black people passed the 50% mark of people on welfare, maybe a year or two ago.

14. andursonne says:

Have you ever heard of Chris Rock’s “N*gg*s Vs. Black People” routine? This reminds me of it.

15. ascap_scab says:

Soooo, I guess the pudding contract ran out.

16. Jane Tucker says:

Good for Bill Cosby! Another must read is Jacob Levenson’s The Secret Epidemic: The Story of AIDS and Black America. It is hard to believe people live like this but I live in Jackson, Mississippi where people do live like this and crime is out of control, and no one, black or white, sends their kids to public school if they have the money to do otherwise. There are kids on my street day who are on the path to prison because mommy is shacking up with another drug dealer. I’ve “adopted” one family but I can’t do all of them.

17. Guys, what Bill Cosby is not new for him. He’s been making these statements in one form or another for years. It probably just never made the mainstream media.

18. What’s interesting to me is the (non)reaction of his fellow blacks. Obviously, their stone faces were an indication that they didn’t agree with him. I suspect he probably got an earful once they were all out of sight. And Bill Cosby is not known for being a particularly nice guy in private, in spite of his warm and funny public personna. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall for that one…

19. Speaking of Chris Rock, one of his comedy bits is the line “Studying hard is thinking White.”

No wonder there’s a problem.

20. Rita C. says:

There’s a lot of tension between “old school” African Americans and the hip-hop generation. I’m not sure this is news. I’ve read quite a bit about it, and I see it every day.

21. “Shaw told the crowd… many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.”

Maybe thats the problem, shouldn’t they begin by focusing on those problems which are within thier control.

22. andursonne says:

I think what Shaw is actually inferring in that quote is that black Americans are not at fault for the state of the black community, which is really quite ridiculous. It doesn’t matter how much racism there is in the world, every individual is reponsible for his own behavior. When they say ‘not self-inflicted’ what they mean is that ‘the white man did it!’

23. andursonne says:

Here’s an article from national review that tackles this topic.

“Still, the issue of culture and education elicited a rare self-critical comment by Smiley, who decried the phenomenon of black kids teasing other black kids who were “getting their learn on” because, to their tormenters, doing well in school was “acting white.” Jones echoed this sentiment, critiquing the mindset that holds that “failing at school is somehow a validation of your black heritage.” Such a narrow concept of racial authenticity, the panelists concurred, was indeed deplorable.

Yet an hour later, when Guinier noted in passing, “We have a black person on the Supreme Court,” Smiley responded, with mock incredulity, “We do?” By which he meant, of course, that Clarence Thomas — because he doesn’t share the panelists’ left-liberal politics — is not authentically black. He is, as Jackson explained, “an unrepresentative aberration.”

So there you have it: Black kids who take a different view of schoolwork get teased by other black kids for not being authentically black — and black adults who take a different view of politics get teased by black leaders for not being authentically black.”

24. A Human Being created as an equal in gods eyes says:

In my eyes there is no black, white, hispanic , oriental, etc. We are all human beings. Eliminate all the labels, and there will be no minority groups…..take away the labels, you eliminate all the excuses. Then maybe then everyone in the world will realize the only way you will get anything in life, is to make it happen yourself. would bet you if the handout programs would suddenly disappear without warning, the same people that rely on them would surely learn to find a way to earn it before they died of starvation.

25. He is saying what people are thinking and I’m glad he did. But it is not only the lower economic people it is anyone in any economic group. You can, also, look at the HBCU’s that are in financial dire because alumni are not giving back. Why? What do you educators think about Mr. Cosby’s speech?

26. Does anyone know where to see a copy of the complete speech? Is there one?

28. S-E-L-F DESTRUCTION. God forbid Cosby should ever say that we should not glorify our own downfall and celebrate ignornace. How dare he!!

29. Anonymous says:

I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E. Not “IGNANT”

30. kellypiper says:

Here’s why this is so beautiful: If ANY white guy said this stuff, Mfume would shriek “RACISM!”, then sit back smugly like the intellectually vacant jackass that he is. Hey, Kweisi, where is it written that you win an argument by avoiding it? Can’t compete with the truth, I guess. When are these black “leaders” going to start using the term “responsibility” in reference to themselves, instead of throwing it at white people?

BTW, “stop acting like the white man’s bitch”…sing it, brother. You got it right. Racism exists, and that sucks. Incessant whining and fingerpointing is NOT going to make the non-racists sympathize. In fact, it’s not going to help anything, especially black people.

31. Anonymous says:

I agree with Mr. Cosby. He came from the ghetto, though now he has money. Money does not make everything right, but critical thinking–education can change lives.Life is about choices too. We, African-Americans, need a revolution of our minds.
    I’m an educator and graduate student in Latin American and Middle Eastern studies. I teach in the African-American ghetto’s of Los Angeles. I speak proper English, not because I’m perpetrating the “white man” but because that is the way my parents speak and they are both African-American, though my mother can pass for my white and my father is the color of a piece of coal! When I am teaching, the students are quick to say “you sound white!” I’m in the ghetto to give back but a lot of times I’m hated and despised by my own people.
    Intelligence has no color, that is what our (African-American) people have to understand. There has to be new sacrafices made in African-American culture in the United States, and that means that as much as we may be making money off of some of the things we love, it is detrimental to our existence. Hip-Hop is not the problem, it is individuals, some of which can not separate entertainment from reality. The money that rappers make legitamizes a lifestyle for some of the youth who have no filter for what they listen to.
    Some Europeans and other cultures can not relate to “Black Power,” this is why record companies push self destructive rap music, and I’m taking this from what Cool Mo Dee said, so please don’t laugh! If I’m rapping about about uplifting the people poor people don’t want to hear that, they feel like they are being preached to and they resent it. The ghetto is a community if we want it to be, but it isnt’ because we don’t hold people accountable. Jail is not a cool place, it’s f@#$%^ up!
    Yet, when I say all of these things I take into account, slavery and colonialism; and that some African-Americans exist in environments where everyone thinks and acts the same and their is no balance, or alternative opinion or lifestyle.
    We have to stop criticizing our achievers. I mean how come it is ok to wear a wave everywhere but not ok to talk and speak intelligently or just advance oneself ?What are we afraid of? How come we can’t be and think as individuals. I never openly criticized brothers for sagging and bragging but they’re so quick to judge me, if they think I’m acting “white.” I try really hard to overcome these issues just to exist and work with my own people.
    Other cultures emulate African-Americans and so if African-Americans don’t respect each other, then other cultures will not respect us!
    I udnerstand what slavery and colonialism has done to African-Americans, which why all of these problems persist, which is why I think we need a new revolution, that is economic and educational. I mean, look at all the stuff we do to ourselves to make ourselves acceptable when we are already beautiful people–African!. This is self-hatred, and I say all of this because, there is a concensus in many of our communities, and that is, if you don’t act a certain way, you’re not “black!” African-Americans are too diverse a group to make that assertion. If you got a perm, curl or waves, so what! Let’s work together, even if I think that what your are doing is backward! Students play the dozens with me saying my dreads look like caca but then again, my hair is real and dreadlocks originated in Africa, not Jamaica.
    Are we covering our hair because we are ashamed of having nappy hair? My hair is really nappy, but I’ll never use any chemicals on it and I like sisters with short hair.
    I know who I am and to people who think I’m uptight I’ll translate, “I’m a nigga!” To white people or other cultures I’m a nigger! I’m caught in between. If I go out into the community and start trying to change things a “nigga” will shoot me in the back but that same “nigga won’t shoot at racist police, or the KKK.
    Power to the people!

32. I would like to get a complete copy of the speech for my speech class. I’m black, and a conservative. I graduated from high school in TN in 1968, and now that I have two sons in school I am realizing how subtle racism has become. I’m telling my older son the same thing I was told, “you have to be twice as good,” and “don’t expect life to be fair cause you’re different and will always be different.” The emphasis on education for blacks is not nearly what it once was, because so many feel we “have overcome.” WE HAVE NOT. We’ve lost that edge, and more people need to speak out like Dr. Cosby. Get a chance check out http://fatherhood.ibelieve.com. The salvation for black men is more involved and educated fathers.

33. Now let’s see how fast it takes for the NAACP to demonize DOCTOR Cosby (remember folks, he has a Ph.D. in Education!) as an ‘Uncle Tom’ in the same vein as Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice!

34. I heard a speech by Henry Louis Gates on the It’s nice to see that the message may start to be imprtant enough for people to talk about it.
    Posted by: Hugh at May 19, 2004 01:31 PM

Posted by: Fuzzy Rider at May 19, 2004 01:49 PM

Posted by: Bob Diethrich at May 19, 2004 03:11 PM

The excellent followup to this book “Authentically Black – essays for the silent black minority” is truly awesome. I’m beginnning to believe that there really is a silent black population who can produce change in the black community.

35. Bill Cosby is absolutely correct. I’ve always said that the drum majors for justice during the civil rights movement would be appalled at how the African-American Community has regressed. Who can argue that you can’t become a professional by speaking incorrect english. How can you communicate in a global setting by using grammatically incorrect english. Take a look at the parent companies of these rap labels and you’ll see executive white males. Can’t blame them, they’re trying to make a buck off of our demise. In rap one speaks of murder, rape, disrespect. Hell, black ex-cons get more respect than law abiding black professionals. Bill Cosby is completely right and it is not a quetion political incorrectness, its a question of who is willing to tell the truth. Kudos to Mr. Cosby.

36. Ken Collier says:

I think it’s great that a high profile African American such as Mr. Cosby is finally speaking out against something that has always been the preverbal “elephant in the room” that no one else even has the guts to talk about especially on national television in front of millions. We Black people have all these wonderful events honoring our heritage, ancestors, and their achievements and then we celebrate by inviting these so call entertainers who publish records calling our mothers and sisters bitches and hoes while at the same time telling our sons and daughters that they are nothing unless they are a hard faced, thugged-out, escalade driving, dope smoking, man/woman hating, ten girl/boy friend having, son/daughter of a bitch, with a crap load of money he or she got from selling dope or robbing some one else. These same entertainers have their names, faces, and music on every sneaker, TV show, sporting event, movie, and piece of clothing that our children come in contact with on a daily basis. There was a time when you could not even say the word “butt” on television, but today if you listen to the radio station it is OK for an eight year old to call in and request to hear “Back That Ass Up” by Juvenile? I don’t know about you but if I had an eight year old, I don’t want her knowing anything about backing up body parts. I think that Mr. Cosby should be congratulated. I also think that more people should be getting angry, namely the parents of these kids Bill mentioned in his speech.

37. Ken Collier says:

38. Great to hear Bill Cosby tell it like it is-he’s not afraid to say what’s on his mind and at the same time not be a humorless you know what. I remember when he admitted that he had an extra-marital affair-that was very refreshing to somebody of his celebrity stature admit his shortcomings with no ulterior motive nor anything to gain by it. Dr. Cosby is one of the few comics out there who blends social conscience and humor with class, George Carlin is another.

39. You have to realize that you are the ONLY place on the net reporting the content of the speech. There is no media attention at all. One place carrying something, the Atlanta Constitution, requires insane personal data to read their shit that nobody will bother.

Thanx. I linked to you on my pages

40. Orlando Mayfield Jr. says:

Dr. Bill is an Elder and he has the right to express what many know is not news. Ask any honest public school teacher and he or she will tell you the same thing. Imagine someone who would think that going to jail was cool and reading a book was “white” or “wearing your jeans below your buttocks was macho” and saying “please and thank you” was soft?? Understand: it is not the children, it is those adults who brought them here and then have done next to nothing (except for teaching them how to be consumers and parasites) with them. Like any good doctor, he gave you the diagnosis, but we adults should be responsible for the cure.

41. If these comments are indication, there seems to be a consensus of opinion in those interested enough to post. I doubt (but wish) it represented a cross section of population. Personally I believe we need to work to educate those on the lower socio-economic rungs that they bear responsibiliy in climbing up (given proper tools and opportunity). I believe Mr Cosby, given his Icon status, has once again proven why he has deserved so many allocades and is the perfect one to go proactive in this arena. I admire his conviction and integrity.

42. Steven Armstrong says:

I recently concluded a 25-year career as an educator. During my career, I met many talented young black men. However, in the vast majority of cases this talent did not match their academic performance.
    For example, I asked one young man, “Why don’t you do homework?” His response-“I can’t let my friends see me with a book! They will say I’m selling out, trying to be white.”
    This anti-intellectual feeling is very common among our youth. For the young black man the image of how he should be is fueled by media such as BET, etc. When I was young my hero was the mailman-because he wore a uniform and had a steady paycheck. For today’s youth the heroes are foul-mouthed felons rapping about drugs, sex without responsibility, and definitely not encouraging the cracking of a book!

43. I have to correct something Rita C. said: that the tension is between the hip hop versus the elder generation. I am 25 and I agree with what Cosby said – but I know of older people who would spit nails if they heard that.

No, the tensions, as I have observed, are between the (this may sound strange) white-centric, who see white people as the root of all problems, and are offended by the idea that black people might be in control of their destiny, independent of white people; and those who are of the personal responsibility mindset, who believe that many problems are self-inflicted, and can be solved by the black community. My own parents loved this post, they were disgusted by Shaw’s reaction, but there are people in their generation who would agree with Shaw, and people in my generation (my friends and I) who side with Cosby. It’s a mentality issue, not generational.

I agree with Howard, above, that it would have been nice to see this story get more play in the media, but like I said, Cosby’s remarks are typical of him and perhaps aren’t reported on in the MSM. I have seen them more often in the black media.

44. Brian K. Clinkscale says:

Mr. Cosby was right, but listen everyone: You don’t win the race with a broken leg. Yes we should honor those who have lost their lives for us to have an education and equal rights, but, as a collective whole, our people (Black People)have not fully healed from MENTAL injuries inflicted upon us for over 400 years. We are moving in the right direction. 400 years worth of “injuries” will not heal in, what, 50 years? Not to make any excuses for “Knuckleheads,” it just may take awhile to heal FULLY.

45. Bill Cosby is so right. It’s about time somebody stood up and said this. This ebonics shit is crippling black children.

46. Jeffery Wheeler says:

I am a pastor of a small church in the inter-city and with all the problems in our community you would have to be on the verge of insanity not to be aware of it. Yet, many of our leaders are in denial and will not address the HARD CORE TURTH about what’s gone wrong in our community and what needs to be done to correct it. Have we forgotten that it is the truth that makes us free and not political correctness?
    Thank you Dr. Cosby for loving us enough to tell us what every one knows to be true but lacks the courage to say it.

47. Angela Jones says:

Thank you Mr. Bill Cosby!!! It is about time that a Black person who has an opportunity to command the attention of Black America speak the truth on the matter. We must stop letting the “profiteers” keep Black America down by carrying the banner of “the poor down trotten uneducated Black American.” It is high time we do as Mr. Bill Cosby has stated and discourage this slothful, trifling, behavior and demand more of each other.

How about being held accountable for what you and don’t do?! How about having expectations?! What is wrong with speaking proper english?! And what has happened to voting?! Our forefathers died to be able to vote and now Black Americans continue to abandon that right or if we do vote; we only vote strictly Democratic and do not pay any attention to the issues and the true status of America and the Black American.

Thank you Mr. Cosby. I applaud you for being so brave and courageous in speaking out on an issue that too many sweep under the carpet. I say, you are right and Mfume, Swygert and Shaw should have applauded you for speaking the truth. What are they doing to help eradicate this self-destruction of the Black Americans?

48. Clinkscale: Thank you for a perfect illustration of the kind of thinking that is holding blacks back.

49. Linda M. says:

Applause to Dr. Cosby. So many have been secretly voicing the same opinions in private circles for years but fearing the wrath of the NAACP and other “watchdog” groups, have not felt free to voice these politically unpopular ideas.

A thought on watchdogs, you can keep a watchdog out in your yard to keep would be burglars and other bad people from getting in, but the dog is also not going to let in the girl scout selling cookies, the local minister coming to visit, or your child’s teacher. In other words, the dog will keep the good out too. Maybe it would be better if the NAACP assumed more of a “guide-dog” position – recognizing obstacles and dangers and leading people around them.

Dr. Cosby has finally opened up a forum. Now the NAACP can choose to quietly sweep his comments under the rug and hope everything blows over, thus reverting to the status quo and encouraging continued knuckleheadedness or they can do the brave thing, publicly recognize the truth in Dr. Cosby’s comments and come up with some ideas on how to deal with the problems he gave voice to.

50. DAVID PERRY says:

51. George LaMora says:

Doctor Cosby has said publicly what many others are only whispering: the “entitlement society” is killing off America. When African-Americans excell within the system (Dr. Cosby, Clarence Thomas, Condoleeza Rice etc.) they are held up to scorn and ridicule for “acting white.” Musical trends tend to further this, with the glorification of “gangstas” and pimps, and the disrespect of women. I think that Dr. Cosby wants us to understand that we shape our own future by the choices we make. It’s not somebody else’s fault: you do what you do. If there is always someone else to blame, we cannot take responsibility for our actions. True adulthood (regardless of race) comes when one shoulders the responsibility for his or her own behavior.

52. Terry Jackson says:

Bill is right!! We need to take control of our own destiny. We lack resources and access. We produce nothing and consume multitudes. We need to be concerned with wealth creation as well. Economic Equality should be our objective. We need to work together and trust each other. Education and entrepreneurship are the great equalizers. We need to become revolutionaries, not evolutionaries. Radical change is needed in our race. We are comfortable and have no reason to be comfortable.

53. This is a bright day for black America. Maybe we can all start dealing with people based on the content of the character instead of the color of one’s skin.

54. There is a stuggle going on in Black Ammerica right now. It is a struggle to define what our aspirations and hopes are for the future. We have allowed the worse segments of our community to define who are and what we want. Afriad of a backlash, too many of us pander to the “BS” coming from the street. We’re afraid we many lose our “legitimacy” and be call a sell-out. We can’t let the fools in our village drag us all down. Congrats to Cosby!

55. Sani Williams says:

As a 42 yr old black man, I am proud that Bill Cosby had the guts and strength of character to bring out this “kept secret” among black folk, which is the plain fact that most blacks 35 and below have just flat-out dropped the ball. Our valient fighters of the civil rights era (Adam, Martin, Malcolm, Medger, etc) must be rolling in their graves. They gave their lives for what exactly? So we can walk around with our pants pulled half-way down our asses, grabbing our crotches as if it is were some magical display of power? Our kids think that the only two paths to success are (1) hip-hop or (2)basketball. They speak as if they have never heard of the English language. No where else is it worse than in the modern music industry, with it’s glorification of the self-destructive “thug” or “gangsta” image. These clowns as role models, have instucted the black youth to (1) buy (and use) guns freely, (2) disrespect the black woman (so-called “ho’s”), (3) glorify pimps (a scourge on our people historically) and (4) kill any other “brother” that prevents him from getting “his.” I’m sorry — I forgot, now we call each other “niggah,” perhaps, the vilest word in human history; a term of degradation used by Klansmen as they beat, lynched and burnt us, and used by slaveowners as they sold us and raped our women. Now, it is a term of “endearment”??? WHAAAAAT?! And do not expect the NAACP to stand up and applaud or support Bill, because they laid down a long time ago. We as a people must wake up, get off this self-destructive path, stop blaming “whitey” for everything and start taking responsibility for our own actions, with the ultimate goal of cleaning up our collective act. Otherwise, our people will ultimately end up as museum exhibits of an extinct race whose time has come and gone.

56. Charles Hunter says:

Shame on the Blacks that critized Mr. Cosby. Those oversize, hip-wearing, down-to-your behind-wearing-pants the boys wear, and “I’m a Ho'” type seductive dress the girls have on, with neither being able to carry a decent conversation, let alone talk properly; may the chips fall where they may! Even Shaharazad Ali, said that we as Black people “front” so much, that we’ve literally lost our minds. We have such a problem accepting criticism, especially if it’s true. It’s like the image is worth more then the substance. I believe Martin Luther King would roll over in his grave if he could see the way Black people act now on those hip-hop:music videos, lyrics, and popular culture. To think he died for this?!!!

57. As many of you are, I am interested in viewing Dr. Cosby’s speech in totality for the sake of context.

I learned of this activity from the “Wendy Williams Experience” radio show yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia (I was raised not too far from where Mr. Cosby went to elementary school in Germantown). Given the target audience for her program, nearly all who called to comment were very upset with Mr. Cosby’s statements. They made it known (as we already know) that racism and other such obstacles make for a less than seamless climb in the pursuit of progress. At no point did they make an attempt to directly refute the truths Dr. Cosby put forward.

The overriding factors of Mr. Cosby’s comments were that of personal responsibility and decision making. Anyone can go into an urban center and see first-hand what Mr. Cosby has spoken about. It is not a matter of saying that other races are doing the same thing. The question is “What the hell do YOU intend to do to upright your situation?!” As a collective body of people, we do not make sound decisions in reference to our finances, health, sexuality and other areas of importance. A glance in the ghettos (calling them what they are) tell an extremely disturbing picture. What’s more, anyone with any means AND have a sense of appreciation and DESIRE to see more than what is in front of them will do WHATEVER is neccessary to correct what is wrong in their particular environment, and will help others do the same. This is what Mr. Cosby embodies. Too many rappers that came into instant success did so at the expense of their own and others souls, dreams, desires, heartaches and other life’s calamities. No appreciation of what they accliamed is present. They have either been killed or placed under a degree of control by the penal system. Those that have the means to obtain a quality education CHOSE not to! As such, those coming from the same environments will emulate what they see and hear! No surprise here, so why the opposition?!

As a 30 year old, I am very grateful for the contributions that Dr. Cosby has made for the last three generations of people in this country. In his particular case, he is more than entitiled to speak as he did, because it is the truth and he has made more significant, meaningful contributions to society than nearly all of these airhead thug rappers/ singers combined. As such, to see his efforts neglected by the present day population perhaps set him off as it did.

Definitely heads up for Dr. Cosby. When I grow up, I want to be just like him! :o)

58. Heard very little about the unappreciated sentiments of this very thoughtful African-American. He wishes better things for his race. What is bad about that? Too much is accepted as free speech these days. Morality and personal responsibilty is taking a back seat to profit and sensationalism. Some RAP should be prohibited under the same laws that prohibits the “hate speech” of neoNazis. I have little tolerance for either. Calling one art makes it no less disrespectful. I think you could add many of the computer games to that list of “hate” inspired media. It has no redeeming value to society. RAP is not the only medium that deserves the boot.

59. What is sad is many in the white youth community are adopting poor speech habits in an attempt to be “urban”. As a relative sample, I’ve seen at least as many young white kids butchering the English language, effecting a “black” speech and wearing “urban” clothes in an obvious attempt to appear “hip” (if that’s still an applicable word).
    This isn’t a criticism of Dr. Cosby, I think he’s absolutely correct.
    But in the name of diversity and multi-culturalism, we’re seeing youth of all races adopting poor speaking and education habits as they mimic what they see on television, movies and videos.

60. Okay, I have one issue with this Bill Cosby speech; it is being taken totally out of context. What I am referring to is that black people know what problems exist in our race. Mr. Cosby (I am assuming) was simply telling (mostly black) people at a (mostly black) function that we have many brothers and sisters that are getting left behind. There are many underlying issues that have resulted in single parenting homes (white, black, asian, etc.), kids being unsupervised after school and no sense of togetherness as a family, race or society-we all need to address such issues. The question here is: is anyone doing anything about it? It’s easy enough to be judgemental and say “if I did it, than I don’t see why they can’t”, but did you really do it on your own? Was there no one in your life, some type of role model, no matter how small, that maybe was a muse to you? Let’s try and back up our words with action, not just bitch and fuse about what’s wrong or proclaim this as something that’s long overdue. What is really overdue is, taking steps to make sure we don’t have an entire generation filled with mostly tv watching, video game playing, pants drooping off they backside children is what we need. Does anyone have the answer?

61. For those who want to take action to improve the situation,
    may I suggest 2 excellent actions to consider.

1) Go right now to your favorite book store and buy the book,
    “No Excuses: Closing the Racial Gap in Learning”
    by Stephan and Abigail Thernstrom
    Every family that wants to turn things around should have a copy of this book in their home, so they can be armed with facts and can propose and back solutions that work in the real world. There is nothing more frustrating than spending time on things that have been proven not to work. This book tears through the myths. Don’t hesitate, “Just Do It!” You’ll be glad you did.

2) Contact the KIPP organization. “Knowledge is Power Program”
    Get the information on their program, and their successes in turning around children in problem schools. They have a very good video from 60 Minutes’ coverage of their program. It will amaze you with their results. It is short video, but it makes lots of good points. It will give a lot of people hope that there are ways to turn things around.

KIPP is not the only program that is making significant advances in areas where the local schools were failing, but it is getting results.
    If you hear of other programs that are successful, contact them too and learn what they are doing that is working. What are they doing that the local schools were not doing? Why are they getting much better results in the “ghetto?” How are they able to get so many kids to have amazing success, even though they come from areas where failure is common.

The key is to learn what the successful programs are doing to overcome the kind of problems that Bill Cosby spoke about and then you can take it from there in your own neighborhoods.

Bill Cosby challenged parents to spend money on “Hooked on Phonics” instead of sneakers.
    Well, this is your opportunity to do some things that can change the future for your children. But first you have to know what
    works and what doesn’t work. You have to know the con games that have been used by educators and lobbiests that rake in the money but do not improve the education of the children in the problems areas of our country.

This “No Excuses” book is the key to making meaninful change.
    It discribes in detail how education programs ARE working with children with all sorts of problems stacked against them. What programs work the best with children from single family homes and from impoverished areas where drugs and crime are common?
    This book reviews decades of studies and tears apart a lot of the myths that you are told by politicians and lobbying groups that just don’t work.

Go for it!
    The children deserve your time and effort.

62. I,too, would like to read the full speech given by Dr Cosby; Albert Murray (The Omni_Americans 1966) said it long ago and many others have recently; but none with the clout of Bill Cosby; I would love to read the whole speech and/or see a video of it. I think all like-minded citizens should let the Cosbys know we agree and support them.

63. Anonymous says:

Like the Janet Jackson breast exposure incident, people will huff and puff, pound on their chest, act like this is at the center of their universe, but forget about it before the 4th of July. I challenge everyone who claims that they are so proud and excited that Bill Cosby spoke out on this issue, to go start giving back to the black communities from which most of us came.

64. Dr. Mr. Cosby:

Your speech? Has been done. About 5 years ago. Remember a young man named Chris Rock, who exposed the differences between “niggas” and “black people?” No, you say? Too busy with your head between some woman’s ass who wasn’t your wife? Oh. Sorry, sir. Well, I’m really not, since I find you to be a pretentious old hack. It’s not that I don’t agree with you on some levels, but next time you want to address a group of black people, don’t flip on BET for 20 minutes before you do, then pull out the worst in our race and bitch about it. Trying actually talking to a black person. Start with your wife.

Brat 🙂

65. Well, the speech has gotten some media attention, but it’s probably not what most of the commenters here want to see.

Agreed about all this not being new. In addition to Chris Rock, I think Cosby himself has said these things.

66. For those who are interested in something they can do in their homes, do what it takes to get a set of Video Tapes or DVDs from a program called, “Where there’s a Will there’s and A.”

This program started in the 1980s and was very successful all across the country. I believe it may have been Arizona State that used it with their football team, because they had terrible graduation rate. This program had phenominal results and students that were getting a 1.9 grade point average were making the honor roll, as I remember the story. Amazing!

Now Universities across the country use it to train students to be top performers. Special seminars are based around this program. But, even better, you can own it in your home and review parts until you master the techniques.

Hey, if you want amazing results, like walking on water,
    its really helpful if someone can show you where the rocks are, isn’t it?

They have programs for different ages, Grade School, Middle School, High School and College. Each one gives programs that help students get As at their level. The old version was good and the brand new version, that just out last year is even better. It was completely updated in 2003 and includes a lot more information. It is also a little fancier to be more in line with students in 2004.

The nice thing is this is something that parents can watch and do with their kids in the privacy of their homes, or that older students can do on their own. If done together, then both parent and student can help keep the focus on things that work.
    It works with virtually any student, no matter what grades they are getting now. It can help struggling students with methods that help them do much better and it can help make things easier to learn. That is always a help. For the good students, it can give areas that help them perform well in much less time. Who couldn’t use more time, and still get great grades? With either group, there are significant benefits.

I used this program myself and it was a dramatic help.
    It was worth every penny for the results I was able to achieve.
    If I could not afford a copy, I would get with other individuals and pitch in for a set that could be shared.

Just my opinion, but I think it produces some amazing results for those who want to do better.

Good luck with it.

67. “Hey, if you want amazing results, like walking on water, its really helpful if someone can show you where the rocks are, isn’t it?”

As opposed to hurling them at your head? Yeah. 🙂

68. court rogers says:

Bill Cosby deserves a standing ovation for his comments. I’m glad to see more and more Blacks stepping forward and publicly saying what many of us have been privately saying for years. By the way Bob Diethrich, I just finished reading “Losing the Race” by John McWhorter. EVERYONE in America needs to read it.

69. Here’s some more of the speech. Scroll past the article about the sex kitten (or read it for a larf.)

I do object to this: “That white man, he’s laughing. He’s got to be laughing: 50 percent drop out, the rest of them are in prison.” Believe me, we are not laughing.

70. fluteface says:

Congratulations Bill, for having the courage to speak the truth, standing right inside the bellie of the monster. After all, the NAACP is a virulently racist organization.
    They’ll never make that mistake again… inviting a free- thinking man to speak. The left
    is getting desperate. Dissent drives them cracy!!

71. “Take the neighborhood back” — starting with the local gov’t (not public) schools. Vouchers. Now, if not 25 years ago.

72. Dear Dr. Cosby:

As a 40 yr old Black Man from (and still in) Philadelphia, I commend you sir. I hope your words of TRUTH will be (or start of) the “Tipping Point” for our people. The start of our people rebuilding our self-respect and self-esteem within ourselves and our community. We can’t keep beating ourselves up and holding ourselves back like this forever (I hope not)!

I AM A BLACK MAN who loves his people. Unfortunately, my people have learned to hate and disrespect ourselves. REALITY CHECK HERE… If you have no respect for yourself, your culture, your history, your family nor your community…DON’T EXPECT ANYONE ELSE TO RESPECT YOU.

My beautiful brothers and sisters (the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY) we can’t keep living this! Aren’t we sick and tired of being sick and tired? I know that I am, and I get the impression that Dr. Cosby and many others feel the same way. WE (that’s right…WE)NEED TO STOP THE FOOLISHNESS that is destroying our people! I don’t want to hear the lame & tired excuse about how white people are holding us back…the majority of the FOOLISHNESS that goes on in our communities, culture and families is perpetratetd by us on ourselves! I LOVE MY PEOPLE…CAN MY PEOPLE LEARN TO LOVE THEMSELVES? YES, we can! WE HAVE TO CHECK, CHANGE AND UNCHAIN OUR MINDSET, NOW, FROM NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE.

Suggested reading: The Mis-Education of the Negro by Dr. Carter G. Woodson

73. Well, how about that? A black speaking the truth to other blacks in a way and in a forum that couldn’t be ignored by the press. Thank you, MR. COSBY! Funny how it took the media a week or so to decide how to spin the story. I first learned of Mr. Cosby’s comments on Wednesday in a column on WorldNetDaily on Thursday. A Google search turned up exactly 2(!) stories that day on the matter. Two! Now, apparently the press collectively has decided it knows what kind of spin it wants to apply so now there are dozens of articles that can be searched and found on the Internet.

When are inner-city blacks going to wake up to the tremendous damage they are causing not only to their own communities but to society as a whole by their refusal or unwillingness to embrace the very same ideals and principles that gave legitimacy to the civil rights struggles of the 1960s. Here we are nearly 40 years removed from the Civil Rights Act of 1965, and many of not the majority of black inner city youth continue to create the very same soul-destroying social conditions that their parents and grandparents fought to free themselves from. How utterly tragic. It seems as if blacks don’t want to take responsibility for themselves. Especially black males. How much longer do you think whites are going to put up with the ignorance and stupidity and backwardness that characterizes so many black communities? Should economic conditions take a turn for the worse in this country, competition for jobs will increase and you can bet social tensions and conflicts will also increase between lower and middle-class whites and their black counterparts who live and work in the same areas. Whites, quite frankly, may not be so understanding today as they were 40 years ago and may begin to fight back. The worse thing the black community could do is arose the white sleeping giant. If that happens, I wouldn’t want to be a black person living anywhere in these continential United States.

Yet, by their behavior, inner-city blacks males seem intent on testing the patience of whites until they get a reaction. Well, they are not too far from getting their wish.

Trillions have been spent trying to help blacks overcome the retarding effects of slavery and discrimination which for decades if not centuries prevented them from achieving self respect and full equality as citizens.

At what point are blacks going to stop blaming others for their own lack of intelligence, lack of initiative, lack of knowledge, lack of willpower, lack of common sense, lack of civility, lack of honesty, lack of concern, when intelligence, initiative, knowledge, willpower, common sense, civiity, honesty and concern are all traits that must be developed from WITHIN?

Blacks could easily set up their own businesses–grocery stores, clothing stores, toy stores, music publishing businesses, sports franchises–and create similar seed-beds of development and the basis for their own self-sufficiency within their coummunities if they had true leaders. Magic Johnson understands this, but he just one person. Where are the others? This should have happened decades ago. The answer to black people’s problems lies with their leaders. Alas, they have almost none.

The fact that all of these problems were plaguing the black community 40 years ago and have only gotten worsen despite billions being poured down the drain in an effort to address them shows the problems will not be solved until blacks finally accept responsibility for solving them. But when you’ve lived a slave all your life, mentally speaking, to beliefs and values rooted in ignorance, it can only hinder your educational and social development, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that progress has been difficult.

My personal belief is the first step to solving these problems is imposing order and control, aka martial law, on the black communities where crime and drugs are out of control. That’s step one. The next step is to force black males into boot-camp like schools where they are forced to respect authority and are taught discipline and order the way new soldiers learn it. They must literally be broken of all the bad habits and all the lazy, shiftless attitudes that act as a weight and burden on their minds (whether they realize it or not). Part of the problem is that probably the majority of blacks are still children, civilizationally speaking. Sorry but you don’t go from pre-historic living (africa before the arrival of the white man) to European standards of living overnite. It took Europe 700 years to dig itself out from the dark ages following the collapse of the Roman Empire. No one has addressed this issue–the jump from tribal, savage existence to living according to the ways of a modern civilized order. Few will admit it, but this is the underlying crux of the problem. No one, black or white, could have made such a transition in the span of a few decades or even a century. Slavery held blacks back but they were already coming from a world thousands of years removed in terms of civilizational development. Jim Crow merely held them in a place where they were no longer African tribesmen but were not yet fully civilized.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. Until black inner-city youth, mostly males, realize that they must drink from the pool of human knowledge if they are to learn and grow as human beings, the problems we are talking about will never be solved.

74. Dear Whitey (and others like you):

You sir, are truly a very sad individual with an equally sick, twisted and negative attitude. You speak of media and political spin and misquote the truth, while superimposing your revisionist history upon my people…whom I LOVE DEARLY. I do not hate you or people that think like you, but you do not seem to like nor understand my people. That sir is truly your loss. I LOVE MY PEOPLE.

My beautiful brothers and sisters, Dr. Cosby (and others before him) is simply giving us the “heads up” notice that we as a people, as a culture, as a community need to come together and strengthen ourselves, our families and communities. Our history (the true/factual history) shows beyond a doubt that we’re descendants of a people of great wisdom, intelligence, artistic ability, leadership, culture and civility. Unfortunately, my people have been mis-educated, mis-guided and mis-informed to the point that we have LOST ourselves.

Once again, I don’t want to hear my people use the lame & tired excuse about how white people are holding us back…it’s not about Mr./Ms. Whitey (and people that think like them)and their acceptance/non-acceptance of our people! IT’S ALL ABOUT US AND WHAT WE NEED TO DO TO IMPROVE OURSELVES!

75. Several things here are salient for me:

1. The mainstream media was caught off guard because a) a situation that our society knew was going on, but tried to sweep under the rug, was brought to light in a way that couldn’t have been more obvious, and b) it was exposed by a person whom the mainstream media least expected to do so.

2. The sustainability of the status quo in the siutation Dr. Cosby described was questioned. What will happen when we can no longer bear the costs of mass ignorance?

3. It seems “OK” in our society to “dis” white people’s irresponsibility, but not black people’s. To put it another way, Jeff Foxworthy’s “You might be a redneck” jokes made people laugh, but Bill Cosby’s commentary made people upset.

4. When you act in a way that the mainstream media does not expect you to act according to your ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., you will likely take some serious flak.

76. Anonymous says:

Please be assured that the misinformed thoughts of Whitey are unrepresentative of what this white American thinks, and I’m not alone. I’ve often felt a certain symapthy for blacks who grow up hearing that the man is holding them back, and struggle with it with my wife, who is Asian. It can be very frustrating. I hope that Dr. Cosby’s comments and the work of others in this area will do more to move all of us forward. And know this, while people like Whitey will always be around, their ignorance is slowly being washed away by truth. They’re the domestic equivalent of Iraq’s dead-enders.

77. So good to hear Dr. Cosby speaking truth to those who didn’t want to hear it. I pray that all of us who truly love black people would not keep silent in calling each individual to a commitment to personal responsibility. I pray that a clear voice would come out calling for us to take action.

78. Patrick says:

Mr. Cosby is one hundred percent correct. When WE stop having illegitimate children at the rate of 73% of black kids born in this country, we may point the finger elsewhere. When it is cool to educate oneself and to ACTIVELY pursue life, liberty, and happiness we may decide that scapegoating “whitey” is no longer necessary. Until that time we need a very large mirror and the COLLECTIVE courage to look into it!

79. Patrick says:

By the way, as someone who grew up in a single-parent home and who worked his butt off as a teenager to help his mother pay the bills, I know that it is NOT impossible to get a degree, an MBA, and a Ph.D as well as travel the world, learn foreign languages, and expose oneself to healthy cultures globally. Learned helplessness will not facilitate our self-determination. We need to re-write our own script. It wouldn’t hurt to mimick those that have come before us: black, white, or otherwise. WE can either bitch and moan or adapt. America is NOT going to change. Unfortunate or not survival of the fittest is the order of the day!

80. Anonymous says:

Since hearing about Bill Cosby’s speech and this forum, I have been amused at how much PASSION people have for he has said. The very said part about all of this is that I think most people are missing the point(s) here:

1. Bill Cosby didn’t break any new ground with his speech, otherwise most people would be saying “I didn’t know this problem existed”.

2. Doing it in front of the NAACP is irrelavant because they (the NAACP) also knows what problems exist.

3. All talk and no action can kill an issue real quick.

4. People who live in the these communities, particularly people who Mr. Cosby was trying to identify, probably have not heard about this speech, since it’s been mostly popularized on the internet and cable news networks.

5. Children in inner city neighborhoods need afters school activities, tutors, libraries, positive role models. All schools do not provide these, regardless of what the media makes you think. There are many school districts that have and are loosing their libraries, music and sport programs.

6. All talk and no action can kill an issue real quick.

7. Everyone does not have the motivation to get on their feet and change their lives, otherwise we would have no poverty.

8. Todays youth have more obstacles than we did 15 or 20 years ago.

So, who is getting Mr. Cosby’s message? All of us who have jobs, pay taxes and raise our children to respect others? It’s great we are talking about his issue, and I am not criticizing anyone for their views and opinions. When it comes down to the facts, the problem will continue to exist unles people stop talking and take some action!

81. Anonymous says:

Does anyone in this forum live in the ghetto right now?

83. Bill Cosby’s message did not originate with him; he is perhaps the first who is ‘safe’ to recognize (or perhaps too high-profile to ignore).

Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, Dr. Alan Keys, Justice Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Mychal Massie, Star Parker, Larry Elder and many others share Dr. Cosby’s message, but they can’t even get criticized in public, much less have their comments printed outside the editorial page.

If Dr. Cosby had delivered a speech celebrating 50 years of status quo, heavily infused with white-bashing applause lines, the Post would likely have printed his speech word for word. Instead, all we get are a few quotes, mixed with the Post’s vitriolic editorial ‘reportage’.

Wouldn’t it be great if a newspaper confined itself to describing things that happen, and leave the interpretation of those events to the reader?

84. Priorities and morals of black families have changed ever since integration became our reality. We wanted to maintain our separate status but we desperately needed to be treated equal in America.

85. Mary E. says:

Think Dr. Cosby does not know what he is talking about. Yesterday, in my medical office waiting room 4 young men( and I use that expression loosly)decided that since they were waiting to see the doctor, they would have a “gas passing contest.” Did not matter that there were ladies present and sick people including one in a wheelchair with oxygen. The saddest thing was that they did not think there was anything wrong with what they were doing.
    The one’s who are tryig to make a villain of Dr. Cosby should come down from their Ivory Towers for a week into the trenches with those of us trying to make a difference-one child at a time. It is not easy, when there are so many many forces working against us, especially when the enviroments these kids come from doesn’t see anything wrong with having “a gas passing contest.” AND, most of all, the people who keep telling them that the world owes them ’40 acres and a mule.’ What would they do with 40 acres, but lose it to some lawyer. An God forbid that the mule kicked-he would be fertilizer before night fall.
    I say, Dr. Cosby, please keep telling it like it is. One voice can make a difference. Look what one voice did for prayer in schools.

86. Agent Whitey says:

I feel a need to address Bill Cosby’s speech and the resulting comments.
    I have worked in a state “Dept. of Corrections” that will not be named for 14 years. The first 13 as a Correctional Officer and Correctional Sergeant and the last years as a Parole Agent. During this time I’ve made many observations and have spoken at length with many black males and females on my caseload.
    1. The vicious cycle of fatherless children must end! A fictional case, based on reality, to demonstrate my point; Joe’s father, nothing more than a sperm donor, was in prison for most of Joe’s life. Joe didn’t have a father figure to teach him how to be a real man. Joe’s mom is too busy working several jobs, if she’s a responsible parent, or jumping from man to man anf prostituting herself, if she’s irresponsible, to pay much attention to Joe and who he hangs out with or what he’s doing.
    Lacking a proper example, Joe learns “manly” behavior from some of the older kids in the neighborhood who were raised without a father just like him. It’s very “uncool” to be in school so Joe drops out. Soon he’s hanging out on the corner selling dope and carrying a gun in the same pocket as a large wad of ill-gained cash.
    Jolene’s dad (sperm donor) is also in prison. Her mother is just like Joe’s. She isn’t supervising her very well. Jolene has no idea what a responsible man acts like. She’s never been around one. Jolene sees Joe carrying around his wad of cash, driving his Lexus with the 22 inch spinner wheels and thinks “Now there’s a MAN”.
    Joe and Jolene hook up. She drops out of school to spend more time with her “man”. Well, it’s cool to have unprotected sex. It says so in all the rap songs they listen to! Soon Jolene is pregnant with Joe’s child. Joe has no idea of responsibility since he’s never seen it. He goes on with his life and leaves Jolene with “her” problem.
    Soon Joe gets arrested for selling drugs on the corner and goes to prison for his first of many times. Meanwhile, Jolene has a baby that she is ill equipped to raise. She has no education, therefore can’t get a decent job. She goes on the welfare rolls and doesn’t bother looking for a job because child care is more than her minimum wage job will pay her. What’s the use?
    Since Joe is locked up, Jolene is lonely. She goes on the prowl and finds another “man” that can keep her company and perhaps help buy some groceries and pay the light bill. Another baby is on the way for Jolene. Her new “man” gets arrested and sent to prison. Another baby is born that will not know it’s father or reap the benefits of his teaching and example.
    Whoops, Jolene got arrested for selling dope, prostitution, etc to supplement her welfare income. Looks like Grandma will have to pick up the slack and raise the kids. And raise them she will! Just like she raised Jolene. I have personally witnessed this cycle complete itself. I have adult parolees as well as juveniles. Some of my adult males share the same name as the children on my caseload with the exception of a “Jr.” on the end of it. Sadly, they have never met one another.
    You cannot continue to blame “Whitey” for keeping the black man down. Whitey is paying taxes to fund schools in impoverished areas. Whitey is paying taxes to fund welfare and food stamps. Whitey is not writing song lyrics that glamorize the thug lifestyle. Whitey is not making fun of young blacks for “getting their learn on”. Black America must heal itself and stop the cycle of fatherless children and poverty. Get an education. Be responsible. Make it cool to in school and have a real, tax-paying job!

87. Anonymous says:

You all sound like a bunch of educated fools! Bill Cosby must have lost his mind like so many other pitiful and weak-minded black folks.

88. Dragicus says:

You see the cycle agent whitey but like most white and whitewashed you fail to comprehend the magnitude of the situation. Have you or your people been enslaved for over three hundred years? Were your women raped, men beaten and ideas taken? Things are always not as superficial as they may seem. And I understand your frustration but Rome wasn’t built in a day and the current cycle you see is the result of a well planed and thought out strategy of oppression from our antagonist who have been plotting since the cave. I have know choice but to find humor in your way of thinking which is much of Americas same thoughts.
    Don’t forget that the American negro was once legally looked upon as sub-human in this society, so expect repercussions.

Your approach is like dancing, You hear the music but you can’t follow the beat.

89. Southside says:

Dr. Cosby the Elder told the truth. I wish a UFO would land on earth and take away all the niggas, white trash outlaws and barrio thugs. I guess that as long as big corporations can milk hundreds of millions out of dumb people by selling the new nigga pop culture we will have to suffer for another 50 years. God help us keep our decent sons and daughters safe from the mongal hordes amongst us.

90. Take the racism out of these comments by just forgetting who made them and say them over again to yourself. A lot of what Cosby says is true. I guess now Mr. Cosby will be up there on the vilification tower with the poor Dixie Chicks!

If you try to be color blind and forget that these remarks are made by a black man, they ring true for everyone!

In a remark attributed to Mr. Cosby regarding a tragic shooting of a young child in D.C., Mr. Cosby says “where were the parents (of the shooter) and why did they not know their son ahd a gun”. Well, is there anyone who can say this is racist? Is there anyone who does not believe that those parents of the kids killed at Columbine are not asking the EXACT SAME THING! They are not being called racist! The question is HUMAN, not RACE.!

91. Dragon Seed says:

Bill Cosby is a wonderful role model for young people today, no matter what color they are.

The reason people, black and white, were made into slaves in the past is because they were slaves in the first place. They made perfect slaves because of their mentality and character and the law of life, the great illustrator painted them as such. As long as people of poor mentality and character exist, so will slavery.

A person is either a master or a slave. He is a master when he takes responsibility for his own life and his own destiny. He is a master when he depends on no one, save himself, and does the best he can in everything he does. He is a leader simply because he goes his own way and follows no one.

A person is a slave when he blames everyone else for his problems and does as little as possible to get by in life. He is a slave by depending on anyone and anything that he can con or force into giving him a free handout. He is a slave because he follows others instead of going his own way.

Ben Franklin put it succinctly when he said, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” The more welfare you take, the more reparations you demand, the deeper and faster you sink back into slavery.

You have only your self to blame if you continue to live life as a slave and continue to follow role models who are themselves slaves.

92. D Lowery says:

I like the part about how KwesiMfume looked after the remarks of Bill Cosby. I for one have more respect for Mr. Cosby than Mfume at least he isn’t a butt kisser and figure head. Mr. Mfume does nothing but act the part but when it really comes down to making a difference he does nothing. I know for a fact that most blacks in the know have no respect for him. People like Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., Emmet Till (who was a young man of fourteen when he was murdered because he would not say he was inferior to whites and this was in 1955, Kweisi no respect do I have for him whatsoever. The black leaders of the past meant something to the black community they talked the talk and walked the walk but the leaders of today do not. The sad thing about the so called black leaders of today is that they care nothing for us except for the big paychecks they get. Blacks need to educate themselves and realize that they have to become informed. Blacks think they have it made in America they do not and this is because of the color of their skin. Until blacks educate themselves to the real issues and stop accepting they will be much better off. The war in Iraq is about dark people. Haiti is a country of brown people look through your history books go on the internet find out about the countries that are taken over and the people killed by this country “who is out to liberate people”. The country is based on the people in it we need to realize that there is a better way and that way is to go out march pick up where Martin Luther King, Jr. left off. People go on with their lives thinking there is nothing that can be done. Their loved ones are dying in a war fought for oil and they accept it. It is time to become like Mr. King. There is a March in Washington June 5th make your voice heard. Stop sitting around thinking that you can’t do nothing. How do you think the war in Vietnam ended. It ended through people voicing their dissatisfaction. Make your religious leaders step up to the plate and do as the black leaders in the past. The black churches can do more to educate and organize marches than anyone. The time is now. If you don’t do it for yourself do it for your children. We have dumped on other countries for years I strongly believe in what goes around comes around. Our children’s lives depend on this. Wake up black america

93. Jamaal Michaels says:

Bill Cosby was absolutely, 100% correct!!!! Thank you, Bill, and Amen! The problems facing our community today are virtually ALL self-inflicted – drugs, gangs, Black-on-Black violence, criminality, AIDS and “down low” bisexuality, low SAT scores, the “achievement gap”, fatherless families, young girls getting pregnant, 40% of Black men 18 to 30 in jail, on probation or on parole, Black youth’s disdain for education as “acting white”, Ebonics, glorifying ghetto culture, etc, etc., etc. It’s not the fault of the White community – it’s OUR fault. “We” have to fix “us”.

94. Everybody needs to get off of Bill Cosby’s case! It is this same type of apathy that is fodder for indivduals like him to address. If these types of people that Dr. Cosby spoke of do not apply to you, then don’t worry about it! Give yourself a pat on the back, and smile. Congratulations! You are not contributing to the deliquincy of today’s society!

95. Timothy Doran says:

Bill Cosby is a brave man, and I wish he would run for President. I am grateful to all blacks and whites and anyone else who took the time to write into this message board. This is how we have a dialogue. I cannot support Mr Whitey’s solution of martial law, for I sincerely believe that would cause much more resentment than it would solve problems. Perhaps this message board, despite any somewhat nutty comments (and there weren’t TOO many) will serve as a model for an actual national dialogue on this topic, which everyone has been perhaps understandably afraid to have. The far Left probably will, alas, become typically hysterical over the whole thing, which is unfortunate, but we shall have to expect this and deal with them patiently. I hope the less savory elements of the far Right (or alnyone else) does not sabotage this chance for a dialogue with spiteful and vindictive racially inflammatory remarks. This will only derail any chance of progress we may make toward solving the terrible misfortune that has beset a large section of our country’s Black community. God bless Bill Cosby.

96. One of the problems I think that many of us have with Dr. Cosby’s comments is that we don’t like our “dirty laundry” to be aired in public. I don’t know why…he only said what many of us already think. Just like it’s alright for us to call each other “nigga” but no one else can say it. Ridiculous. I live and work in “the community.” I teach children who are on free lunch, but come to school with a new pair of EXPENSIVE tennis shoes each month. They don’t know any of their basic facts, don’t do any of their work, most of their parents have not been in contact with me ONCE, but they know every lyric of every nasty song that comes on the radio, have seen every vulgar video that is shown on (VIACOM owned) BET, and can tell you all about every rated R movie the Monday after they come out because their parents took them to the theater to see it or they saw a bootlegged copy of it. The majority of our problems can be attributed to racism, but when are we going to wake up and see their plan? We get mad when black people get put off American Idol before more deserving whites, but we don’t get mad that our children’s test scores are in the toilet because of biased testing, or that our kids are in special education classes disproportionately. We’ve been resting on our “largest and loudest” minority status for way too long. Do people realize that we are fast becoming the SMALLEST minority…behind people of hispanic origin first and Asians second? Those of us that are here are all that we have left, and we’re losing our ranks to violence, jail, AIDS, and a host of other things (most of which were planned). Remember, Black people were BROUGHT to this country for one purpose only. Once slavery ended, so did their use for us. They couldn’t care less about what happens to us. Why don’t we see that, take responsibility for ourselves and our children and start making changes. If not, SHUT UP!!! Quit whining and waiting for somebody to give you stuff. Get over yourself and start making changes in your own “house” first.

97. john W. says:

Aside from all the hoopla( airing our shortcomings) the white community has not been let off the hook….Rasicm, glass ceilings,
    police issues, and a whole list of other issues
    still is a problem we must face daily. We survived the jim crow years, lynchings, restrooms,
    water fountains, we will overcome again and again!

98. Timothy Doran says:

Actually, John W., I take exception to your statement. Racism properly understood is the belief that one race is superior inherently — biologically or spiritually, that is — to another. I doubt very much that more than 1/2 of 1% of whites in America are actual racists. Racism as such has been thoroughly scoured away in America by the educational system currently in place. If this were indeed a racist country, there would be discourses of racism coming from the universities. The fact that people have redefined racism to mean anything they want it to mean is evidence of the non-ubiquitiousness of actual racism. At this point in the national conversation a non-black person is called ‘racist’ for expressing 10% of the sentiments Bill Cosby expressed. People are called racists for suggesting that racial preferences may not be the best way to encourage a leadership class amongst blacks to develop and grow. This indicates a hysterical atmosphere surrounding the subject of race, and I do not blame this atmosphere solely on blacks but also on liberal whites. I do not believe that white America is ‘racist’ according to my strict definition, but if you are looking for evidence of a plot to keep blacks down, let me suggest one to you.
    I think that whether it was planned that way or not, a social system exists to keep poor people of all races ignorant and divisive against each other. This obviously serves the benefit of keeping another class of people as unchallenged holders of wealth. Racial tension provides a distraction from the fact that the rich get richer. The peddling of deliberately crude music and stupid, violent, misogynist lyrics to whites and blacks alike reinforces maladaptive social behaviors and a sort of fruitless rebellion — a rebellion against intellectual attainment. The inherent contempt for standard english contained in the ennoblement of ebonics effectively amputates blacks (and the whites who emulate black ebonics users) from high culture and from works of literature and science that explore the human condition and, most importantly perhaps, that embody the greatest achievements of human beings. The blacks who insist that they do not wish to study the Greeks and Shakespeare because they are ‘white’ (technically Greek men were light brown or olive, not white) are effectively severing themselves both from a tradition that deserves to be explored for its own merits, and from a set of references (one may call it a language of ‘high culture’) which is a necessary practical entree to the highest levels of government, education, and society. Reading black authors is of course very valuable but if done exclusively, that is, at the expense of reading Aeschylus and Dante and John Donne, it keeps one stuck in the American twentieth century and it allows one to become obsessed with a history of inequality in one country. This is only one country. The world, and history, is a much bigger place.

99. choctaw mom says:

To Dragicus, “And your point is…..” Get off the kick about slavery and all that junk. That’s nothing but an excuse for blacks. And its really getting old. If blacks want to be treated as ‘HUMAN’ then they need to act that way. Instead of talking like uneducated idiots, wearing their pants around their knees, and walking around holding themselves like it may fall off if they let go. I don’t call any of this acting ‘HUMAN’, I call it disgusting. You never seen this kind of behavior from black people 25-30 yrs ago. The older generations knew their place.

100. Thanks Bill, for telling it like it is. You picked a momentous occasion like Brown vs Board 50th anniversary to focus on all that is negative in black society. If you said something positive on that special day, then thats not is being echoed in the media.

Thanks again.

101. Thanks Bill, for telling it like it is. You picked a momentous occasion like Brown vs Board 50th anniversary to focus on all that is negative in black society. If you said something positive on that special day, then thats not what is being echoed in the media.

Thanks again.

102. My grandmother(a Ph.D from Cornell and English professor)once told me that speaking english correctly is the most important thing one should be able to do in life. This is so one person can communicate clearly to another person with no pitfalls. Mr. Cosby spoke truths that affect many demographics not just the black population. Political Correctness(PC) will not help us solve any problems and hinders us greatly.

103. Shantel Sanderson says:

Bill Cosby’s words were not only accurate and insightful, they were also refreshingly honest. I think our Black community doesn’t get enough honest discussion. I’m tired of all the cynical rhetoric and manipulative propaganda from the NAACP. I’m tired of all the vicious, hypocritical Democratic Party hate speech. I’m tired of all the lies and racist class warfare fomented by so-called leaders like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, and Kwesei Mfume (Frizzell Gray). Maybe one of the networks can talk Bill Cosby into hosting a series looking honestly at the social dysfunction of the Black underclass, and suggesting ways to fix it. We’ll never fix our problems until we confront them and look at them honestly.

104. albert brooks says:

i agree with bill…………these kids need to get their 48217571 together….you parent have for gotten about the village concept…….quit tryin to be your kids friend and be their parents.

105. “MY BEAUTIFUL BROTHERS and SISTERS…gain strength in your soul, resiliency in your heart and a positive focus for your mind.” I loved that quote…. thank you for saying it.

I wish it were that simple. If self-loathing exists in any human being (regardless of race), they will reject the help that is being offered to them.

It is painful to watch when a loved one won’t accept the help or take steps to improve their life.

I wish there were an easy fix to give the gift of love and confidence and respect. Many of those who are in the most dire need of help do not have these things…. and were never offered them growing up. It can take almost a lifetime to cultivate them.

Although this forum is focussed on African-Americans, I am speaking for all races when I say this. I wish I could help, but all my attempts have been rebuked. My help has not been wanted.

It was cool to be stupid when I was in school as well (70’s). Am not sure if that will ever change. It was also the school counselors who would have held me back had I not had my parents force me to take the advanced math and science courses, instead of the recommended intermediate courses.

As Cosby states, it all comes down to parenting. And yes, I am white. I hope that doesn’t invalidate what I have said.

106. This has been an eye-opener to me. I am a white, Southern, conservative who happens to love and embrace people of all races and ethnicities. I am not proud of what my white ancestors did – in fact, it makes me sick to my stomach. That being said, the media for so many years has only printed the voices of African Americans who would blame white conservatives for all the ills of black society. I have found this to be frustrating – I don’t hate anyone, I don’t want to hold anyone back, I want to help whomever I can.

I guess that’s why I have found this discussion to be so refreshing. To be sure, white opression has played a role in the state of black society today. But will reparations, etc fix anything if the other problems aren’t addressed as well?

My husband came here from India eleven years ago, and something he once said has always stuck with me. He said that millions of Indians would give anything for an opportunity to live in America, and to take advantage of the opportunities here. He said no one is denying the horrific reality of how African Americans came to be in this country; slavery was a terrible, hideous thing. However, millions of African-Americans are now here, in the land of opportunity, and they can choose to take advantage of it, or continue to point fingers. I hope this is not taken as an inflammatory statement, I’m just relaying his thoughts.

Thank you, all of you who presented such well-thought out, intelligent arguments. I ended up in this forum after reading an article about Mr. Cosby’s comments. It was a shock to me that some of the things I was secretly thinking (and was maybe a little bit ashamed to think), were the same thoughts of such a prominent, well respected African-American. My mind has been opened just a little bit more today. And that’s always a good thing.

107. Frances says:

My reason for writing is first, to acknowledge Doctor Cosby’s accurate remarks and, second, to encourage our young people to put aside this notion of “acting white” when education and studying are in the correct priority. As I have explained to my young nieces, ages 14 and 9, peer pressure is like watching crabs in a barrel. As soon as one is almost over the top, the others will drag him back down again. It takes a very strong individual, with very strong values to make the climb, and, unfortunately, many do not have the family support and infrastructure to succeed.

I support the comments made by Doctor Cosby and I encourage all those who have a forum to tell the truth.

108. chicago4321 says:

WEB DuBois — the first President of the NAACP said a similar thing to Mr. Cosby. He said that blacks must, “gird themselves up by their bootstraps” to better themselves. The idea that personal choices affect a person’s destiny is an old idea. It’s an old idea because it is true.

109. “I’m telling my older son the same thing I was told, “you have to be twice as good,” and “don’t expect life to be fair cause you’re different and will always be different.” ”

It’s not just African-American/black people who need to pay attention to this. Try being a fat, four-eyed, geek. I need to be better than my peers everywhere I work. I work longer, harder, and better because I know that my success depends on *me* and no one else. I am always going the extra mile because I want to be needed by my employer no matter what happens.

We *all* must remember that life is not ‘fair’ and no one will make us successful, we have to do it all ourselves. There is no free lunch.

110. Chuck makes an important point. I never hear self-pitying “victims” comparing themselves to others with difficulties to overcome, only to the fortunate and privileged, as though that should be laid at their feet. Some of us are disabled, some are unattractive, some are born with a weak physical or mental constitution, some of us have social or racial backgrounds that are not status-y. Start comparing ourselves with the entire world, with the entire human race, even with the entire country including the Appalachian dirt-poor, and it all evens out and we can get started where we are.

111. AMEN…AMEN…A-freakin-MEN…MR. Cosby!!

As a white man on the outside looking in at the Black race, I APPLAUD you. If I had said those things, I would be crucified as another “Hateful Cracker”. I work in a Federal Prison, and often wonder why commiting crime has become such a “right of passage” for young black men.
    It’s nice to hear that it isn’t all my fault or my ancestors fault for a change! Because, quite frankly, I’m tired of catching all the blame. I can’t believe that the Civil Rights leaders of the past sweat, bled, and died for some moron to strut around with his pants around his knees, doing nothing but talkin S**T all day long about his “babies mamma”. BRAVO!

112. Shandra says:

Mr. Wortham’s advice to his sons sounds just like the advice I got from my own dad. You have to be twice as good as everyone else, and always know life is not fair. Life will never be, and has never been, fair. Strive to make it so, but realize that it won’t be. It’s great advice for everyone, black, brown, white, red, yellow.

My parents grew up without having much and dealing with a lot of ignornace, but my parents’ 4 kids have all made quantum leaps in socioeconomic class—a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, and a teacher—directly due to their involved parenting. We were allowed very little TV. They read to us, got us public library cards and took us often, reviewed our homework assignments with us every night, proofread our papers to show us our grammar mistakes and recalculated our math sums (make no mistake, WE had to correct everything), moved to a new apartment to be closer to the good public schools. They actually downplayed sports to us—they said it’s fun to be good at games, but better to be smart. Their attitude about the importance of learning and making the most of our opportunities counterbalanced the peer pressure and foolish messages that we, like all kids, got from our “cool” peers.

It’s a hell of a lot of work for all involved, but the beauty of it is that doing your best in school does lead to rewards later in life for every single kid who does it, unlike the 1 in a million shot to be a rap star or sports figure.

I don’t think anyone is respecting or laughing at these posturing, “fronting” lower-income folks. I think they’re pitying them—how to get them to realize it?
    Mr. Cosby hit it on the head.

113. So what’s the fuss about? Why do we still – in the year 2004 AD – categorize people into neigborhoods and communities? Blacks and Whites notwithstanding, there are going to be people who can’t speak or write properly. This Cosby speech is nothing but an ammo for those “I have been saying this all along” folks who still beleive that the majority of “black folks” live in Watts or Chicago South Side.

Cosby is passe and so is his commentary. All people, of all race and creed, are equally represented in the land of stupidity. For him to use that pulpit to decry so-called blacks in so-called ‘hoods is plain ludricous (no, not the rapper).

The Cosbys, Gates, Elders and Kwames need to just move on. 21st century America doesn’t need any racial discourse at that level.

Funny I was rooting for Clay Aiken and my so-called redneck friend was pulling for Ruben.

Cosby, where you at??? HAHHAHAHA

114. Bill Cosby fathers a child out of wedlock, pays hush money to keep it quiet, and then when that child goes looking for more money, Bill gets her thrown in prison.

Cosby should keep his fingers to himself.

115. Reply to Brian K. Clinkscale:

The Emancipation Proclamation went into effect on Jan. 1, 1863. Columbus discovered America in 1492 and today is 2004. Which 400 years of slavery and 50 years of recovery are you refering to?

116. I pity the man. After the loss of his son he has just gone down hill.
    Perhaps criticism is hard to take for us black folks? Maybe bill should try a more constructive approach to dissent. The rich can seldom see the bottom unless it is the bottom line.

I hope Bill heals better. He was a creative force that we all looked to as our Television Golden Boy(Man). I don’t like all that goes on in our community but let us shine light on the good rather than hilighting the bad. We can leave this up to all the racists and right-wingers who believe black men are just rappers, basketballers and jive-talkin thieves and black women are bitches and whores(hos).

117. Stluv,

Your comments are one of the reason for our communities weakeness. Do you really believe everything is left and right?

“We can leave this up to all the racists and right-wingers who believe black men are just rappers, basketballers and jive-talkin thieves and black women are bitches and whores(hos).”

This is what black people believe we are. I used to be in music, and all these guys wanted to be famous without the work. How can you even make a statement like this when the right-wing didn’t make rap music. With your logic we could say that rap was create by Reagan, because he was president in the 80’s.

“Spike Lee can you make another movie and this time focus on the hypocrites within our ranks?”

Why would you call on Spike Lee. Why don’t you empower yourself to make a movie. You are a sucker puncher who doesn’t like to really be bothered with destitude of our society. You would rather have Spike Lee speak for you (weakness). This is how the new social liberal act these days. When they have a problem they look to others to solve it. That is not what King,Malcom, and Evers did. Where is your sense of commitment to the community. I am calling you out only because I love you.

118. The basic topic here—when the dust settles—is about poverty and broken families.

The fruits of the inner-city ghetto lifestyle: inadequate education, teen pregnancy, drugs, gangs, violence, fatherless homes, hunger, AND the lousy grammar that drives Bill nuts, are all a result of poverty and parental neglect, no matter what race. And this behavior has become glamorized by the rappers and their videos, who sing about it, set the dress code and make money by it. Its a contest as to who can be the most profane. The kids look up to these people. And as “pablo” wrote on another twist, many of the labels are owned by white males, raking in the dough, as recently portrayed by Jack Nicholson as a self-absorbed rap label executive producer in the movie “Somethings Gotta Give”. Just another lucrative profession to aspire to—executive rap record producer.

Re speaking English: This is not just in the black community, its everywhere. White kids also say “where you at?” I have even heard teachers talking like this. Its now become cool. Mainstream. I think this angers Bill Cosby. He has high standards and I bet not a lot of patience with such nonsense.

But its not just a black issue. Kids of all races are neglected due to ignorance and poverty. Its sadly self-perpetuating. And, as “francis” wrote, it takes a very strong individual, with very strong values to make the climb, and, unfortunately, many do not have the family support and infrastructure to succeed.

So, I am still a little baffled as to why Bill singled out blacks. I think this was an emotional appeal as it pertains to the black community, not an intellectual one. (And of course, we know hes brilliant.) He was correct in any case…there is a big problem. Hope there is a follow up interview…

119. N. Gallagher says:

>>Why don’t we see that, take responsibility for ourselves and our children and start making changes. If not, SHUT UP!!! Quit whining and waiting for somebody to give you stuff. Get over yourself and start making changes in your own “house” first.

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for these comments.

I have been on the boards for nearly three weeks sifting through the garbage excuses people give for trashing everything Cosby, because he had the testicular fortitude to say something about our hideous state as a race.

Much, much more of the same is needed until those that find themselves guilty of the very things pointed out get up off of their a***** and do something about it.

1. Bill Cosby Is A Very Serious Fellow – Right!

You tell ’em, Bill!…

2. Dean's World says:

Cosby Cracks Heads

Whoah. Bill Cosby read black people the riot act at an NAACP meeting, and hardly any of the national news media covered it. Further updates…

3. buy evista says: