Sexual abuse by teachers

Sexual misconduct by public school teachers is more extensive than the Catholic church’s priest-abuse scandal, charges Carol Shakeshaft, professor of educational administration at Hofstra.

Nearly 10 percent of students have been targeted with unwanted sexual attention by school employees, the best available data indicates, according to Shakeshaft.

The mistreatment ranges from sexual comments to rape, says the report, titled “Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature.”

I’m dubious about the comparison. The Catholic church is estimating the number of child molesters; Shakeshaft is relying a 2000 survey for the American Association of University Women which covered “unwanted sexual attention” of all kinds.

Here’s another study of sexual abuse in schools.

1. D. Cooper says:

This Hofstra professor has I think spoken just a little bit too soon. Phrases like …”despite the lack of sufficient data …” , and, she acknowledges that ..”many factors could alter the analysis..” are a little discerning. Maybe she should shut up until she has something a little more concrete and reliable to go on. She makes reference to abuse studies by the Catholic Church and then makes some extrapolations to the public schools. She even states that there is scant data and that it is woefully under studied. She doesn’t stop her from making a rather wide sweeping condemnation.

Wow, could you imagine if she took those abuses reported from the Catholic priests and laid an estimate on the paraochrial schools. This woman is dangerous. If she doesn’t have an agenda (not to be confused with a personal vendetta), I’ll eat my Yankee hat.

2. Maybe if parents put some clothes on the kids and got makeup off of 5 and 6 year olds then maybe this wouldnt be as much if indeed it is happening at all but of course adults shouldnt be viewing kids as sex objects at all but this is the culture now

3. A friend of mine once told me her history teacher “picked on the girls”. Since I had the same history teacher, and had seen nothing like that in my class, I asked her what she meant. She said, “He always calls on the girls!” Upon further pressing, she admitted that he called on people who never answered questions in class to try to encourage participation. In my class, the girls were just as outgoing as the boys and so there were no problems.

Later, a different friend of mine accused two different teachers of sexual harrassment, but her accusations were always vague. We are still friends, but we never talk about those incidents because she knows I believe there’s another side to the story and perhaps she was being overly sensitive.

4. D. Cooper says:

I was actually acused once of ignoring the girls and calling on the boys only. Nothing big mind you and untrue … probably just the reverse, but I guess Shakeshaft (that name alone is cause for concern) would have put me down as one of her stats. I wonder if her name has anything to do with this harassment deal she’s promoting … I’m just guessing here, but I’d bet she got a bit of ribbing from the boys in junior high school in her day.

5. Jim Thomason says:

Yes, that is an unfortunate last name.

BTW, I couldn’t help but notice that the 2nd study that Joanne linked to referenced a 1995 study by … Ms. Shakeshaft.

6. Anonymous says:

Huh. I just realized that her name is equivalent in meaning to Shakespeare.

7. D. Cooper says:

This stuff probably wouldn’t be happening if it wasn’t for those teacher unions protecting those perverts.

8. Anonymous says:

You’ve got to learn how to read these things, guys. What may be the key phrase is, “The mistreatment ranges from sexual comments to rape…” You often see things like that when people are trying to pump up statistics.

Here is a logically equivalent sentence (NOT a quote, I’m just making this up to illustrate the point):

“Less than 0.1% of children go through childhood without some injuries, ranging from scraped knees to gunshot wounds.”

Here is a real quote:

“Parents lie,” a child-abuse advocate tells me, her face red with anger. She quotes me the oft-repeated but always shocking statistic: One in three women have been sexually abused by the time they reach the age of eighteen.

“But those statistics,” I interrupt gently, “are based on a very broad definition of sexual abuse that would include grabbing at breasts or buttocks covered with clothes, stroking a leg, or snatching a sloppy, unasked-for kiss at a drunken wedding reception.”

–Elizabeth Loftus & Katherine Ketcham, The Myth of Repressed Memory (St. Martin’s Griffin, 1994) Page 34

9. Richard Brandshaft says:

Oops. The last post is mine. I didn’t mean to post it anonymously.

10. D. Cooper says:

Rich, are you saying then that Ms. Shakeshaft’s ‘expose'(with the thinggy over the e … I’m not hunting for that now on my keyboard) is really no cause for alarm and it’s not that bad. Like I said if you’ve got something real to say, say it. ..otherwise shut up. She’s just stirring the pot.

Hope it’s not the ‘shaft’ part in your names as to why you’re defending this instigator.

11. John from OK says:

I have personally known 2 women who where harassed in high school — but that’s it. In Enid, OK, a football coach was recently busted for molesting a girl over a period of years, starting when she was 13. So it does happen, but I’ve grown weary of any percentages used by feminists. The “1 in 4 raped” number became “1 in 3 raped”, and then when it was discovered that the real number is 1 in 15, it was changed to “1 in 3 sexually assaulted”.

12. D. Cooper says:

Exactly my point John, between Rich and Carol, I think we’ve been ‘Shafted’

13. Walter Wallis says:

Perhaps we need a law that any statistic publicly cited must be independently valildated by a Registered Professional Statistician.
    Proly should not allow LibArt students to take Stat.

14. Richard Brandshaft says:

I didn’t intend to defend the study; I intended to point out that “”The mistreatment ranges from sexual comments to rape…” means it wasn’t really saying anything. Apparently, I was unclear.

15. D. Cooper says:

Sorry Rich … got carried away with that ‘shaft’ thing.

16. brittany says:

any pricks that are that messed up in the head to wreak young kids from a young age or at any age. should be put away for life of in a metal hospital. if a teacher is heavly supected and there are complaints, he should not be allow to teach, at least at that school! protect ur kids.. i am one!!!

17. zoe appel says:

to cok sucking petofiles
    uno wat! fuck it fuck it fuck it, ur al fukin wankers, go fuck urselfs. none of this shit should be goin down anywhere. wat bout these poor lil virgins? do u eva think bout them ha?? life imprisonment at least. it is sic. u r playing with their minds and its fukin sic, doesnt take a genious to know that bulshit. dnt be so sik and go get urself a partner ur own age instead of ruining the minds of our young!!
    by the way, my name zoe and i love funking myself so y dnt u freaks jst try that too, it satisfies me

1. rape sex says: