Fish, unfried

When fire threatened the third-grade classroom at a Minnesota school, the class fish saved the day. Dory was swimming in a vase on a desk.

A forgotten candle started a small fire on the desk on Jan. 24, setting off the smoke alarm and shattering the fish bowl, spilling enough water to put out the flames.

Firefighters found a few embers still glowing on the desk — and Dory still alive in a puddle.

Revased, Dory is doing well.

About Joanne


  1. PJ/Maryland says:

    Cute story.

    Now, can the school name its teams “Fire Fighting Fish”, or would that be demeaning to the fish?

  2. Something sounds fishy about that story.

  3. Alex Bensky says:

    A new vase shouldn’t cost more than a fin if they scale back their expectations.

  4. Who burns candles on their desk in the classroom? Sounds kind of dangerous to me….