When only an expert will do

If only blacks should teach black history and only women should teach women’s studies, then who should teach criminology? Ex-cons, right? Identity politics has come into its own, writes Erin O’Connor.

Big Arm Woman imagines the faculty deciding who’s the most qualified criminal to teach Advanced Criminal Behavior.

In the same spirit, here’s a New York middle school dean in charge of discipline who was convicted of possessing cocaine and marijuana. Now that he’s been through rehab and the conviction is about to be expunged, he’s entitled to get his job back, an arbitrator ruled. (Via Twilight of the Idols.)

Comments

1. Here are the transferred comments:

#1
    Aug 13 2003, 08:23 am

Dang, 21 year old classmates, a stash in the Dean’s office, why wasn’t my high school more like New York? Why?!

Scott

#2
    Aug 13 2003, 09:35 am

If they can’t fire an administrator for this, I question if they can EVER fire an administrator. Short of sacrificing kindergarteners to Moloch on the school playground is there a crime worthy of dismissal?

LittleA

#3
    Aug 13 2003, 10:52 am

“Short of sacrificing kindergarteners to Moloch on the school playground is there a crime worthy of dismissal?”

LittleA, that sounds like a bigoted remark! Just because my god commands me to perform the occasional human sacrifice is no reason to disrespect my religion! (Besides, my kindergarten classes are amazingly well-behaved.)

PJ/Maryland

#4
    Aug 13 2003, 11:50 pm

I don’t get the sarcasm about the ex-con teaching about prisons. Are people saying he DOESN’T know things about prisons college professors don’t?

Richard Brandshaft

#5
    Aug 14 2003, 12:36 pm
    Richard, if I was in a class about prisons, my number one and number two questions would be 1) how does one avoid it and 2) how does one who failed to avoid it manage to avoid a second stay.

j.c.