Future Convicts of Illinois

By a newly passed Illinois law, Chicago public schools must identify students who are at risk of becoming criminals, and take them on a prison tour. Gosh, that will be inspiring. It’s a copy of the old “Scared Straight” program that was proven ineffective.

Comments

1. It is not important whether the program works or not what is important is that the politicians CARE about the CHILDREN because they are our FUTURE and the NEEDS OF THE CHILDREN must come first. How can you be so HEARTLESS as to criticize such a WELL-INTENTIONED program? You must be part of a VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY.

2. It is not important whether the program works or not what is important is that the politicians CARE about the CHILDREN because they are our FUTURE and the NEEDS OF THE CHILDREN must come first. How can you be so HEARTLESS as to criticize such a WELL-INTENTIONED program? You must be part of a VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY.

3. Anonymous says:

It seems like a good idea to me. They probably pick those kids who are always stoned, who vandalize school property, and who cuss out their teachers during class.

4. Anonymous says:

5. Just think they could expand on this for those that consistently are suspended, or should be suspended or expelled. They could have the kids report to the prison for a week during school hours. Just lock them up in there and leave them for 8 or 9 hours. tell them to report back to the gates at the end of the day.

6. Just think they could expand on this for those that consistently are suspended, or should be suspended or expelled. They could have the kids report to the prison for a week during school hours. Just lock them up in there and leave them for 8 or 9 hours. tell them to report back to the gates at the end of the day.

7. I remember when my old high school, which was a private Lutheran school, had some prisoners show up at our Thursday morning assembly and describe the horrors of prison life. That only happened once. I suspect the administration figured that threatening students with stories of prison rape didn’t really foster a Christian learning environment.

I can’t imagine it doing much for public school learning either.

8. I remember when my old high school, which was a private Lutheran school, had some prisoners show up at our Thursday morning assembly and describe the horrors of prison life. That only happened once. I suspect the administration figured that threatening students with stories of prison rape didn’t really foster a Christian learning environment.

I can’t imagine it doing much for public school learning either.

9. Richard Heddleson says:

So, will kids who fail to get invited to this field trip be considered wimps by those who go? This seems like school sponsored division of kids into thugs and victims. In fact, it seems like TRACKING. I thought we had stamped that out!

It is a good thing about your blog that stupid bureaucrats can be subjected to public abuse so quickly.

10. Richard Heddleson says:

11. Jeez, this sounds suspiciously like profiling to me, and probably terribly, terribly racist if put into practice. If it is true, as Marc Mauer, assistant director of The Sentencing Project, a nonprofit advocacy group based in Washington, says, “For the generation of black children today, there’s almost an inevitable aspect of going to prison”. Now I don’t agree with Mr. Mauer at al, but this sure looks like a seriously misguided attempt to accomplish what isn’t really what the schools should be focsuing on at all.

Anyway, since we are picking out those at risk of becoming criminals, shouldn’t it include everyone? I mean, we are all capable of criminal acts, aren’t we?

12. Jeez, this sounds suspiciously like profiling to me, and probably terribly, terribly racist if put into practice. If it is true, as Marc Mauer, assistant director of The Sentencing Project, a nonprofit advocacy group based in Washington, says, “For the generation of black children today, there’s almost an inevitable aspect of going to prison”. Now I don’t agree with Mr. Mauer at al, but this sure looks like a seriously misguided attempt to accomplish what isn’t really what the schools should be focsuing on at all.

13. Richard Heddleson says:

Charles is correct. Anyone who registers to run for public office should be given a tour of the local hoosgow.

14. Richard Heddleson says:

15. When I was in high school, back when dinosaurs, etc., we all had to tour the state pen at Parchman, MS as part of our civics class. I still vividly remember what it was like, including the gas chamber. If it had ever crossed my mind to embark upon a life of crime, seeing that prison pretty well wiped out that idea. Don’t know if it was a deterrent for anyone else or not. I don’t know how you’d know.

16. When I was in high school, back when dinosaurs, etc., we all had to tour the state pen at Parchman, MS as part of our civics class. I still vividly remember what it was like, including the gas chamber. If it had ever crossed my mind to embark upon a life of crime, seeing that prison pretty well wiped out that idea. Don’t know if it was a deterrent for anyone else or not. I don’t know how you’d know.

17. A lose/lose situation. Parents whose kids are chosen sue coz they’re upset that their kids have been labeled. Kids who aren’t picked are pissed coz they’re apparently not thuggish enough to qualify for the program. Those that are chosen see it as a badge of honor.

18. A lose/lose situation. Parents whose kids are chosen sue coz they’re upset that their kids have been labeled. Kids who aren’t picked are pissed coz they’re apparently not thuggish enough to qualify for the program. Those that are chosen see it as a badge of honor.

19. The chosen likely will not the non-chosen as potential targets.

20. The chosen likely will not the non-chosen as potential targets.

21. ‘not’ should be ‘note’

Sorry

22. ‘not’ should be ‘note’

Sorry