Connected students

Students write more when they can use the Internet to find readers, says the NY Times.

“I always wanted my work to be read by someone else, someone out there who would grade me seriously, a regular person,” (10-year-old Raya Allen) said. “With a teacher, it’s their job. When someone else is reading it, they are doing it on their own free will.”

Other stories look at hot educational technology, Dartmouth students who’ve given up phones for “blitzmail” and classroom blogs.

Comments

1. My daughter contributes to fanfiction.net, and she loves to get peer reviews. I know they have to be peers, because this stuff is incomprehensible to non-teenagers.
    Laura

2. My daughter contributes to fanfiction.net, and she loves to get peer reviews. I know they have to be peers, because this stuff is incomprehensible to non-teenagers.
    Laura

3. Anonymous says:

Interesting. I can’t speak for everybody, but we not only paid far more taxes than Arianna but donated several times as much as Cruz, and on significantly less income. I’m willing to bet we paid more in taxes than Cruz, too.
    Ken Summers

4. Anonymous says:

Ken Summers

5. Anonymous says:

She claimed the rent on her house as a business expense?! Not just her home office but her whole house? This is, shall we say, a little aggressive.
    Former Philadelphia Lawyer

6. Anonymous says:

Former Philadelphia Lawyer

7. Anonymous says:

And considering Arianna gets some wild amount in child support, on which she pays no taxes, I’ll bet she’s not clipping coupons in Sunday’s LAT. She can use that child support for overhead in anyway she sees fit, as well.
    Kate

8. Anonymous says:

Kate

9. Anonymous says:

If Arianna’s writing and lecturing business earned only $183,000 in revenues on expenses of $410,363, the market is trying to tell her something.
    Stefan Sharkansky

10. Anonymous says:

Stefan Sharkansky

11. Anonymous says:

I’d like the number of her accountant, if anyone can get it….
    Steve

12. Anonymous says:

I’d like the number of her accountant, if anyone can get it….
    Steve

13. Anonymous says:

The IRS should be very interested in that income to expense ratio. Under their rules, only the room actually used as the office is deductible, and only a portion of the other expenses (such as electricity) can be deducted (for example, if the square footage of the office is ten percent of the house, only ten percent of the utilities can be deducted).

Also, if you’re showing a loss for several years (it may be 3 out of the last 5, but don’t quote me), then the IRS could rule your profession as a “hobby” and there go a lot of your deductions.

If you’re not socially or politically connected, high home office expenses pops up the red flag at the IRS auditors’ division with unnerving frequency.

Hope she’s got her receipts in order.
    Bill Peschel

14. Anonymous says:

Hope she’s got her receipts in order.
    Bill Peschel

15. Anonymous says:

re: Bustamante,

Why should he give anything to charity when the State should pay for it all? And since he works so hard to make that happen, why not give him a pay hike and a customized tax credit?

Has anyone heard his excuse on this? I saw him once on O’riely and he came off as a complete ass. His excuse could be, “I don’t give because I’m a complete ass.”
    John from OK

16. Anonymous says:

re: Bustamante,

John from OK

17. Anonymous says:

Shouldn’t the AMT prevent that, anyway?
    Jeff Medcalf

18. Anonymous says:

Shouldn’t the AMT prevent that, anyway?
    Jeff Medcalf