Arnie for choice?

If Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes governor of California, would he be an advocate of school choice? Lisa Snell reads the tea leaves and sees hope. I wish the candidate would tell us himself. So far, he’s been all platitudes. (He thinks educating children is darned important!)

I’m getting depressed. Cruz Bustamante is a nicer, dumber Gray Davis. Bill Simon and Tom McClintock are too conservative for me — and for most Californians. Nobody else has a chance to win. In fact, Cruz and Arnie are the only ones with a realistic chance.

Comments

1. Everyone who stands for anything is “too liberal” fox X% of California and “too conservative” for for the other (100 – X)%, but someone’s gotta win. McClintock stands as a good a chance as anyone if Schwarzenegger implodes – as he will if he doesn’t convince Republicans that he’s anything other than a RINO.

2. Everyone who stands for anything is “too liberal” fox X% of California and “too conservative” for for the other (100 – X)%, but someone’s gotta win. McClintock stands as a good a chance as anyone if Schwarzenegger implodes – as he will if he doesn’t convince Republicans that he’s anything other than a RINO.

3. I’ve never even been to California, so anything I say about the recall should be taken with a huge grain of salt but …

Arnold’s problem is that he’s essentially a 3rd party candidate. People are generally disenchanted with both parties so they project what they would do as governor onto him. To use JJ’s example, if he takes a real stand on vouchers, 40% of the electorate will turn on him in way they wouldn’t turn on a traditional candidate.

Conversely, Arnold creates a problem for the GOP’s leadership. Namely, he’s a real, rank and file Republican. Most of them vote Republican because they hate the Blame-America-First wing of the Democrats, but poll them on individual issues and they’ll differ a great deal from the GOP party line. Arnold could dramatically expose that riff and lead to a more serious insurgency about moderate Republicans.

Either way, I think Bustamante will win, education reform will lose. For now.

4. I’ve never even been to California, so anything I say about the recall should be taken with a huge grain of salt but …

Either way, I think Bustamante will win, education reform will lose. For now.

5. Whoops, I mean “serious insurgency BY moderate Republicans.”

6. Whoops, I mean “serious insurgency BY moderate Republicans.”

7. Richard Heddleson says:

I have to agree with Scott. It will be interesting to see if after 3 years of Cruz Control ™ and open borders, McClintock seems less conservative to you.

8. Richard Heddleson says:

9. Scenario: Davis is recalled. This is obvious in advance, so his supporters (all five of them) stay home. These are Bustamante’s only supporters, so his votes never materialize. The conservative vote is split between McClintock and Simon, and Arnold loses support by seeming to vague and indecisive. Arianna has another one of her political reversals and joins the Prohibition Party. The other minor candidates drop out except for one. After an early-October statewide billboard blitz, the winner is….ANGELYNE!

Sure, it’s stupid, but is it any weirder than what we’ve seen already?

And Angelyne would still be better than Davis.

10. Scenario: Davis is recalled. This is obvious in advance, so his supporters (all five of them) stay home. These are Bustamante’s only supporters, so his votes never materialize. The conservative vote is split between McClintock and Simon, and Arnold loses support by seeming to vague and indecisive. Arianna has another one of her political reversals and joins the Prohibition Party. The other minor candidates drop out except for one. After an early-October statewide billboard blitz, the winner is….ANGELYNE!

Sure, it’s stupid, but is it any weirder than what we’ve seen already?

And Angelyne would still be better than Davis.

11. jeff wright says:

I, too, am getting depressed, Joanne, perhaps even more so because I am a native Californian. Neither Bustamente nor Schwarzenegger has demonstrated any particular qualifications to lead this mega-state and I fear for us all. I agree with Scott and Richard: unless Bustamente really steps in it, I think he’ll win. That will accelerate the exodus of businesses and native-born people and hasten the crash.

Schwarzenegger’s downfall will lie in his own party. I still remember what the right-wing did to Tom Campbell—who would have been a dynamite senator and who would have also meant no Boxer in the Senate (two huge pluses)—and I expect the same thing to happen to Arnold.

If I do vote for anyone, it might be McClintock. Yeah, he’s conservative, perhaps too much for my likes, but at least he stands for fiscal responsibility, the most pressing need the state has. Bustamente? Don’t make me laugh. With regard to Arnold, I have to consider that any time a politician (he is one, now) starts talking about the schools and the children, I start looking for the hand in my pocket. Buffet’s Prop 13 trial balloon also scared the you-know-what out of me. If they fool with Prop 13, there goes the housing market. Can you spell depression?

As time goes by, fewer and fewer people ask why I intend to retire in another state, far from beautiful California.

12. jeff wright says:

13. California should be an OK state to retire in. If the job exodus doesn’t stop soon, that may well be the only thing the state is good for.

14. California should be an OK state to retire in. If the job exodus doesn’t stop soon, that may well be the only thing the state is good for.

15. Mark Odell says:

Mike: After an early-October statewide billboard blitz, the winner is….ANGELYNE!

16. Mark Odell says:

17. jeff wright says:

Xrlq: “California should be an OK state to retire in.”

Xlrq, you obviously don’t live here. The housing prices alone (not to mention traffic) will drive out those on a fixed income. I live in a county (Santa Clara), where the median home price is more than $500K. Fortunately, I’ve had my house for several years because I sure couldn’t afford it now. Housing in most of coastal California—the part with the good weather and the presumed advantages of California living—is priced similarily.

Housing costs are much less in areas such as the central valley, but those areas are far less attractive: far from the ocean and cultural centers, not to mention much worse weather. Hot in the summer, cold and foggy in the winter. Then, there are the politics, no matter where you live in the state.

Nope, I’m out of here.

18. jeff wright says:

Xrlq: “California should be an OK state to retire in.”

Nope, I’m out of here.

19. Alan Richardson says:

Why does the press, and everyone who has been a part of the press, feel they have the right to decide who the voters do or do not have a chance of electing? A big reason why big money has so much clout is that the press assumes that having lots of money is a requirement, and proceeds to marginalize anyone who doesn’t have a great deal of funds. Having all the papers and networks say you don’t have a chance can, and does, kill your campaign.

20. Alan Richardson says:

21. one oft-echoed comment is that one of the updrafts under the recall is the inability to signal that there is genuine frustration with deadlocks in Sacramento. The recall may actually succeed if there is no alternative way to express that pent-up emotion, rather than any compelling candidate.

unfortunately, Davis is trotting out the “what a waste of $65 M” too late — the cost has already been committed. and that line of arguing only escalates the frustration of the first paragraph

22. one oft-echoed comment is that one of the updrafts under the recall is the inability to signal that there is genuine frustration with deadlocks in Sacramento. The recall may actually succeed if there is no alternative way to express that pent-up emotion, rather than any compelling candidate.

23. Mark Odell says:

“Deadlocks in Sacramento” aren’t the problem; free-spending, fiscally-irresponsible Democrat-controlled legislatures and governor’s offices in Sacramento are the problem.

BTW for those of you keeping track, $65M is just slightly less than 0.2% of the $38B state budget deficit. Or (he asked rhetorically) is it only bad to spend that money on things the Democrats don’t like?

24. Mark Odell says: